• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia in India - ODIs

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sorry I thought Jadeja was picked as the all rounder this series? I just think that against Australia at times you've got to select different players compared with matches against different teams. Someone like Ojha or Mishra (if fit) is usually always going to perform better than Nehra against Australia IMO.

Also Sri Lanka always seem to revert back to Dilhara Fernando!
Mishra not playing was strange on so many levels. He's got a five-wicket haul on test debut against the Aussies, they've seriously struggled against spin in ODIs lately, his replacement ended up batting below Harbhajan Singh and, more to the point, he's probably a better LO bowler than any of Nehra, Praveen, Ishant, Munaf or Jadeja.

I wonder whether it'd have made a difference.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
4 close games out of 6

I wonder if the results in the close ones won by Australia would've been reversed had India fielded to the standard of Australia?

IMO, they give away 10-15 runs per game

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Mishra not playing was strange on so many levels. He's got a five-wicket haul on test debut against the Aussies, they've seriously struggled against spin in ODIs lately, his replacement ended up batting below Harbhajan Singh and, more to the point, he's probably a better LO bowler than any of Nehra, Praveen, Ishant, Munaf or Jadeja.

I wonder whether it'd have made a difference.
It probably wouldn't have made too much difference in this match, but when your side loses by 3 and 4 runs in two of the games you really have to think that a spinner of Mishra's class could have helped India win one of those matches!

It's all ifs and buts. impossible to tell, but I'd be fairly certain all the Aussie batsman would rather face Nehra over Mishra.

Johnners

Great to see Mitch back, and hitting some form. Makes you wonder how much not being to able to give the ankle more than a 1 day rest had been affecting him previously. Awesome that we've wrapped up the series too, an amazing effort given the injury troubles surrounding the team. Dougy should surely have secured himself a spot ahead of Hilfenhaus and possibly even Siddle in the ODI pecking order.

Redbacks

International Captain
4 close games out of 6

I wonder if the results in the close ones won by Australia would've been reversed had India fielded to the standard of Australia?

IMO, they give away 10-15 runs per game
true but we have bowled 40 extra wides and given 70 more extras away across the first 5 games which evens it up a little.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Their batting depth is a problem too. The top five are as good as you could hope for, but when some of them break down the replacements are never much use.
If you are getting at injury replacements, then we have a few very strong domestic performers who simply have not been given a fair chance in ODI cricket (Badrinath, Dhawan, Vijay), which means they resort to the likes of Kohli and put Jadeja at seven. Although I think that today's loss can be attributed to a freak collapse, which happens to all teams sometime - the fact is that we have thrown away two games that we should have won. In the fourth ODI, we suffered with the inexperience of Kohli at three and Jadeja at eight (demoted from seven). Two esteemed domestic performers at three and seven could have helped us home. In the fifth ODI, once more, Jadeja's inexperience cost us dearly. Even though he was at eight due to Harbhajan's good form, a better batsman at seven in for Jadeja could have done a better job. One may posit the possible advantage of Jadeja's bowling, but I think a Mishra or an Ojha, in for one of the pacers could more than make up for that.

andyc

Back in Sydney for an ortho appointment tomorrow so I couldn't watch any of this game, but great stuff from the Aussies. Really thought we had no chance coming in to this series, let alone after all those injuries, but it's been really good from the Australians the last few games. Can anyone watching tell me how McKay bowled? Was impressed with him last game but his figures weren't all that flash today considering everyone else's. Stoked to see Bollinger in the wickets though, what a champ.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If you are getting at injury replacements, then we have a few very strong domestic performers who simply have not been given a fair chance in ODI cricket (Badrinath, Dhawan, Vijay), which means they resort to the likes of Kohli and put Jadeja at seven. Although I think that today's loss can be attributed to a freak collapse, which happens to all teams sometime - the fact is that we have thrown away two games that we should have won. In the fourth ODI, we suffered with the inexperience of Kohli at three and Jadeja at eight (demoted from seven). Two esteemed domestic performers at three and seven could have helped us home. In the fifth ODI, once more, Jadeja's inexperience cost us dearly. Even though he was at eight due to Harbhajan's good form, a better batsman at seven in for Jadeja could have done a better job. One may posit the possible advantage of Jadeja's bowling, but I think a Mishra or an Ojha, in for one of the pacers could more than make up for that.
A large part of the problem is that players like Vijay, Dhawan and Badrinath have no ODI experience. Whether they're quality players or not, it wouldn't be reasonable to expect them to come into the side and perform straight away. Hence, for India currently, when one player breaks down there'll always be a hole of some sort in the batting lineup.

Redbacks

International Captain
A large part of the problem is that players like Vijay, Dhawan and Badrinath have no ODI experience. Whether they're quality players or not, it wouldn't be reasonable to expect them to come into the side and perform straight away. Hence, for India currently, when one player breaks down there'll always be a hole of some sort in the batting lineup.
How would Paine, White, Voges and Marsh rate in comparative experience, or (apologies for limited knowledge of these players) are they young?

pasag

RTDAS
Shows how much it means to Ponting to say it's one of the best series wins he's been involved in when you think of all the WC, CTs and Tests series he's won.

R_D

International Debutant
Well done Aussies...
Must say Watson has been very impressive especially his batting... bowling's been decent as well.

irfan

State Captain
Does Bolly's emergence from a bit-part player to a quality bowling option end Bracks career given the latter's poor bowling form recently and injury troubles?