• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Steve Tikolo in Tests?

SaeedAnwar

U19 Debutant
Its a shame a batsmen like Tikolo never got to play international test cricket, his record in first class test cricket is amazing

What kind of batsmen would you think he would have been if he played international test cricket? like what would be his average? i am assuming some where between 35-40, which is pretty good.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Simply no way of knowing. I'm not entirely sure precisely where Tikolo's First-Class cricket came, but I do know not very much of it came during the prime of his career.

It is a shame he never played for a South African province mind. Then we might well have a clearer idea.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
It is a shame he never played for a South African province mind. Then we might well have a clearer idea.
He did, for Border, early in his career, and he failed. Didn't play enough games to call it a decent sample size though, mind.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
What I mean is it's a shame he never had a substantial career in provincial cricket.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Never got a gig as an overseas player in the CC, which doesn't suggest he was overly rated in the longer form.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Yeah funny that, was looking at his stats and 4000 FC runs for someone of his age and experience is nothing, really. Shame that he never got the chance to prove himself on the big stage though. All credit for sticking with Kenya and not defecting to Zimbabwe or South Africa though.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Didn't his peak years coincide with the counties only being able to register one overseas player a season?

I'm sure he'd have had a few stints had the rules then been as they are now

............. saying that as he did get a gig 'appen the counties thought Collins Obuya was Kenya's leading player?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well, Warwickshire did - though even then IIRR he was only signed as a stopgap. I can't remember the exact dates when one overseas-player per county was the limit, but it was certainly two between 2003 and 2007.

Either way there are several excellent players who have never played county cricket as an overseas-player - Jamie Siddons for example - doesn't really mean a lot.

Last edited:

Chemosit

First Class Debutant
Far too much of a patriot and leader to defect to Zim or SA.

Remember also that Kenya were in the wilderness for some of his best years 2003-7. His pro career was Border, Bangladesh and Zim though he did play some club cricket in UK for a brief stint.

Real shame he never got the opportunity to play tests.

Obuya was picked for Warwickshire on the back of 1 spell of bowling - - his 5 for v Sri Lanka in the WC. Shows how little most outside of the Associates know about them really.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Good enough to average 40-45 in test cricket.

Probably the best batsman from a non-test playing country in the recent past.

lachlan43

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Jamie Siddons? He was nothing special was he?
One of the biggest sufferers at the hands of Australia's glut of middle order batsmen in the early 90s, IMHO. Definitely suffered at the hands of some perplexing selections as well, and deserved to play more than his single ODI for Australia. Averaged nearly 45 at FC level, and is the third highest run scorer at Sheffield Shield level in history.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Good enough to average 40-45 in test cricket.
Based on what exactly? He's hardly got a stellar record against the better sides in ODIs and if he were really that good, then he'd have been selected by a first class team surely?

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Based on what exactly?
Gut feeling

He's hardly got a stellar record against the better sides in ODIs and if he were really that good, then he'd have been selected by a first class team surely?
Aravinda de Silva was better than 99.5% of English county batsmen. But played only one season with Kent, that also 12 years after his debut.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Hmmm, 99.5% is a bit of an exaggeration to say the least and to get that sort of record would be you rate Tikolo up almost at that level, for which there is no evidence.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
I am not saying that Tikolo is better than 99.5% of county players. But de Silva was, and he had very limited county exposure. Ranatunga was a damn good ODI player, but never played for counties. Sangakkara and Jayawardane has not played as well. All these are included in leading bastmen of their times. Playing for counties does not measure greatness of a player.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Hmmm, 99.5% is a bit of an exaggeration to say the least and to get that sort of record would be you rate Tikolo up almost at that level, for which there is no evidence.
Just picking up on the Aravinda discussion - he is up there with the current top 10 batsman from this years batting averages.

Ramprakash
Chanderpaul
Di Venuto
Voges
Trescothick
Read
Pothas
Trott
Rogers
Carberry

I guess Chanderpaul has a better FC avg 54 vs Aravindas 48

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Just picking up on the Aravinda discussion - he is up there with the current top 10 batsman from this years batting averages.

Ramprakash
Chanderpaul
Di Venuto
Voges
Trescothick
Read
Pothas
Trott
Rogers
Carberry

I guess Chanderpaul has a better FC avg 54 vs Aravindas 48
Except Chanders de Silva is better than all of them in Tests. May be on par with Trescothik, but daylight with others. ODI's there nothing much of a comparison.

But honestly, I was concentrating on local players playing for the counties, not the international ones.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Except Chanders de Silva is better than all of them in Tests. May be on par with Trescothik, but daylight with others. ODI's there nothing much of a comparison.

But honestly, I was concentrating on local players playing for the counties, not the international ones.
DeSilva is one of the top 100 batsman of all time. According to Days of Grace rating system and my personal estimation. He is definitely better than 99.5% of the local players in county cricket. Are you including the English international cricket team Kevin Peitersen and company in the definition of a local player? He might make up the 0.5%