• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Steve Tikolo in Tests?

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
You exaggerate. Plenty of players from Asian countries have played county cricket. I'm thinking Ranji, Duleepsinji, the Nawab of Pataudi, Hardit Malik, Imran Khan, Mushtaq Ahmed, Rana Naved ul-Hasan, Saqlain Mushtaq, Yasir Arafat, Mohammad Sami, Piyush Chawla.
Now compare that to the number of players from Australia and New Zealand. You ahve absolutely no idea what you are talking about/

To the list of Sri Lankan players who played county cricket you can also add Colombo-born Gehan Mendis and also, although he played for a less notable county team than the others, Dr Churchill Hector Gunasekara.
What's the number of SL players played in FCC since test status? less than 10. That's one in only 2-3 seasons. Compare that to the number of Aussies that played. Then if you are not convinced count the number of Indians as well (whi has 2/3 FCC players in the world) and compare. Pre-test SL players did rarely played for major counties. Even Mahadevan Sathasivam was not accepted, who was supposed to be a top class batsman, by major counties. But it cannot be blamed on counties as well. They can only judge a player on what they see and what they hear. And very few will be worried (who are outside PAK/SL ancestory) in ENG what happens in an PAK-SL match played in Colombo.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Now compare that to the number of players from Australia and New Zealand. You ahve absolutely no idea what you are talking about.
You may have missed it, and I'm almost embarrassed to have to spell this out for you, but I was listing some of the Asian players who played for just one particular county, in order to demonstrate that you were exaggerating when you said that "English counties are reluctant to sign up even a test class player from asian countries".

That particular county has had more Asian players that Australians. And not one single New Zealander, as far as I'm aware.

I'm tempted to say that you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about, but I'll resist the temptation.

Last edited:

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Now compare that to the number of players from Australia and New Zealand. You ahve absolutely no idea what you are talking about/
You may have missed it, and I'm almost embarrassed to have to spell this out for you, but I was listing some of the Asian players who played for just one particular county, in order to demonstrate that you were exaggerating when you said that "English counties are reluctant to sign up even a test class player from asian countries".

That particular county has had more Asian players that Australians. And not one single New Zealander, as far as I'm aware.

I'm tempted to say that you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about, but I'll resist the temptation.
"Zaremba spanks a rank long-hop over the stand and into the street, don't bowl there to him!"

So I guess we're done with the Tikolo debate?

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I am interested in your methodology for arriving at such a conclusion, especially if it gets the thread away from the interminable Aravinda debate. Please, do tell me more.

Please.
Simple. Aravinda averaged 42 and Tikolo was only 65% as talented, giving an average of 27.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
I am assuming based on his Intercontinental Cup performances, (factor his age) relative to the other Intercontinental Cup layers in County cricket (RTD, Niall O'Brien etc), the relative strength of County cricket to Test cricket and various other variables that he would have been able to sustain an average in the high thirties. I throw in 37.75 if he had played from 1996-to say 2007 with his ave reaching 42-3 factoring post the 9/11 terror attacks Richard's philosophy of the dying wicket, Probably 2500 odd runs with 2 or three tons