• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should Australia have 8 states instead of 6

chris.hinton

International Captain
Do you think that ACT and Northern Terrority should be accepted into High level state cricket or do you think that it might push the standard down a little?

Discuss

archie mac

International Coach
Not sure about the NT, but ACT should be put back into the domestic OD comp. With an eye entry into the SS in a couple of years

The ACT is imo at least 3 rungs below SS standard atm, but only one level down on OD:)

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Not sure about the NT, but ACT should be put back into the domestic OD comp. With an eye entry into the SS in a couple of years

The ACT is imo at least 3 rungs below SS standard atm, but only one level down on OD:)
I really don't think just playing one day cricket is a viable option. If players are good enough, they'll move states to play Shield cricket rather than just playing OD cricket for ACT, so the team will never actually have the opportunity to grow and compete. Obviously if there was a set plan to introduce them to the Shield at a set time regardless of how they went in limited overs comps it'd be a bit different but the way it was handled last time on a trial basis was never going to work.

JBMAC

State Captain
Geographically and Talent available speaking NORTH QUEENSLAND should be allowed a team in the national competitions. Qld is so large it can be divided successfully at Rockhampton. The cricketers playing north of that line could give their southern counterparts a run for their money as shown in Country week

pasag

RTDAS
Geographically and Talent available speaking NORTH QUEENSLAND should be allowed a team in the national competitions. Qld is so large it can be divided successfully at Rockhampton. The cricketers playing north of that line could give their southern counterparts a run for their money as shown in Country week
Welcome back mate.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Tasmania and SA already import half their players. Queensland and WA should import half their players as well. Really you don't need six states that can't produce their own talent to fill an XI. Four is enough.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Tasmania and SA already import half their players. Queensland and WA should import half their players as well. Really you don't need six states that can't produce their own talent to fill an XI. Four is enough.
I reckon states (and counties in England) are a pretty haphazard way of organising sporting teams, tbh. Ignores the fact that Oz has a mainly urban-based population. Sydney alone has about twice as many people living in it as the whole of WA (and, obviously, the vast majority of those live in Perth too). Stands to reason areas with more people will produce more quality players.

The larger states could easily support at least another FC entity IMHO.

archie mac

International Coach
I really don't think just playing one day cricket is a viable option. If players are good enough, they'll move states to play Shield cricket rather than just playing OD cricket for ACT, so the team will never actually have the opportunity to grow and compete. Obviously if there was a set plan to introduce them to the Shield at a set time regardless of how they went in limited overs comps it'd be a bit different but the way it was handled last time on a trial basis was never going to work.
They were going OK last time, and I was surprised when the team was scrapped, but yes I agree that a 3 season plan for entry into the SS would be a great thing. ACT has about 330,000 (from memory) and TAS only has 450,000, with the ACT only being 3 hours from Sydney and six from Melborune (both car, no time in a plane) it should not be a worry to have a team, even organising the players to get together for practice would not be a concern:)

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
ACT could potentially have a good enough side to be in both competition but they'd probably struggle to win more than a game or two every now and then. The players have ability but seem to lack consistentcy, someone like David Dawson who went to Tasmania scored a century and carried his bat in his first shield innings but has barely done anything since apart from one or two more tons in 6 years, John Rogers who scored a 98 as a 20 year old for ACT against the tourning Indian's last year went to Tassie as well but hasn't scored many runs.
Other than Michael Bevan and Brad Haddin the next best player produced from here is Mark Higgs and while he reasonable at his best he was never anything great.

If the Comets ever get put in both comps I'd hope in the long term it was via local talent rather than ring ins who havent quite been up to First Class standard, we have seen the likes of Mark Divin, Darren McNees, Graeme Cunningham go to the next level after coming here but none could really cement their place.

The local talent now though is as good as ever but as you could understand they have all left with Behrendorf going to WA, Irvine and Rogers in Tasmania, Floros to Qld, Ryan Carters to Victoria and Nic Death having previously had a WA rookie deal. Hopefully if Comets ever get in the main comps these guys will form the basis of the side.

DingDong

State Captain
I think victoria should have 2 teams as well. The way they are dominating the first class scene i don't see anybody else even having a chance to win anything unless this is done. I think it'll still be an all victorian final but at least other teams might be able to win a game here and there.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
We should add North Island and South Island. They nearly joined in 1901 :ph34r:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
With International cricketers rarely available I think 6 states is enough.

Go through some scorecards from last year and look at how many average players are getting a game. The standard of competition couldn't handle another 2 teams.

In the T20 bash I wouldn't mind in the slightest if we had an ACT team. Perhaps they would need 6 local players as a minimum to give the ACTCA's (sounds good anyways) some hope and those players who perform well will likely get snapped up by the other states.

Last edited:

brockley

International Captain
I'd like canberra to come in like tasmania did.
5 first class games a year 5 one dayers a year,adding only 1 extra game teams play.
When they are good enough get the full load like tasmania.
I am sure they could recruit some state players,as well as having overseas players like tasmania did for many years.
Northern territory to far away from the game to think of,they don't even play the futures cup.

Michaelf7777777

International Debutant
We should add North Island and South Island. They nearly joined in 1901 :ph34r:
New Zealand was never actually that close to joining a federated Australasia in 1901, the main reasons for this were:

- NZ was by this time economically reliant on Britain rather than on other Australasian states
- NZ were world leaders in social security at this time through things such as the introduction of the old age pension and there was a concern that standards would slip in a federated Australasia
- Fear that women and particularly Maori would be badly treated in a federated Australasia (The original constitutional document was particularly mean to aboringinies and even though Australian leaders openly said that they did not consider Maori to be Aboriginies, this still caused some concern)
- NZ premier Richard Seddon was an overbearing power hungry man with a large influence on NZ's direction
- The Boer War and particularly sending troops to fight in it causing a huge upsurge in NZ nationalism (For a brief period in early 1899 public opinion was slightly in favour of joining a federated Australasia)

In all seriousness however I wouldn't mind if New Zealand got two teams in the Australian domestic competition as I would imagine it would both help more talent to develop and make it easier for the selectors to identify the players most likely to suceed at international level.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I think one of the strengths of Australian cricket it the selection approach. Sticking with a winning formula and not making too many changes.

So if they go to 8 teams the selectors will have to stay away from the temptation to try out the new players in the national squad unless they really deserve to be included.
Otherwise Aussie could lose what makes them so successful.

brockley

International Captain
As you saw with the windies strike a lot of players came from the 7th side the university side,a useful thing.
I like the idea of of an oz academy team and a canberra team.
Remember when the comets we're in the competition lea hansen got called up for australia A.
When the comets went it ruined his career.
I think australia should ease a plan in somewhere,more teams,means more players to choose from so far we have 66 players.
NSW and victoria is overflowing with talent they could pick up to 20 players and still probably beat the other state teams.
Feel sorry for someone like jon holland called up for australia A,now has to sit behind bryce mcgain all season,because the vics have too much talent.Same with james pattinson promising quick allrounder,behind 5/6 others.