• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mills up to #1 on the ODI top bowlers ranking

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Martin's an interesting one. You can't drop him because you have no idea what the replacement will do and Martin is pretty consistent and always looks threatening, but he never gets the figures he deserves for how well he bowls, which suggests to me that perhaps we look on him with shining eyes a bit.

Martin is an excellent guy to have charge in all day and look lethal without being a liability in the runs column (aka Jimmy Franklin), but he doesn't rip the balls off teams like he used to. He's a much better bowler outside NZ and SA than he was a few years ago (soooo dire outside those nations back then) but he's not the lethal bowler he was in his comfort zones either.

Wierd.

Mills on the other hand, is an awesome ODI bowler and highly underrated by cricketing media and public. He's a medium fast bowler from New Zealand, therefore he fits our workmanlike hard trier bull**** stereotype that we seem to be labelled with. Reality is he is a dangerous ODI strikebowler that can swing the ball epically.

However in tests once the ball stops swinging he's in trouble. He's not overly quick and he gets punished if he errs slightly. His 4/16 against England was a good example of how he can win matches, but like Shane O'Connor, with the very good will come the very bad from the limitations of what Mills is.
Very good summary.

Howsie

International Captain
Drop him so he doesn't get the impression that his spot is secure no matter what he does.
Yea that's the thing with Taylor, he doesn't feel like has has too improve and he certainly hasn't in the last year or so. It's a shame because he has the talent to average over 40 in one day cricket.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Let's get serious, you'd have to be very generous to rate Mills as NZ's 2nd best ODI bowler (behind Vettori and in ront of Bond and others) and in the top 8 or so in the world

This is nothing more than a temporary anomaly

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Reckon in the long term, Guptill, Taylor, Ryder and Elliott should all be in the top 25 of batting. In the short term a good series against Pakistan for Mills, Vettori and Bond could see us holding #1,2, and 3 in no time at all.
Few SL bowlers have to be gunned down by terrorists for NZ to achieve that I am afraid.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Vettori also dropped but he regained. Mendis is coming up fast. If Murali revives himself to retire as #1 in both forms of cricket, there would be no one to stop him as well.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Vettori also dropped but he regained. Mendis is coming up fast. If Murali revives himself to retire as #1 in both forms of cricket, there would be no one to stop him as well.
Yeah but I mean in like a month we could own the top 3.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Even then, Afridi and Ajmal is in a meteoric rise. I'm not surprised if Ajmal replaces Vettori as the best ODI spinner in 2010.

Flem274*

123/5
Let's get serious, you'd have to be very generous to rate Mills as NZ's 2nd best ODI bowler (behind Vettori and in ront of Bond and others) and in the top 8 or so in the world

Actualy atm ,he is better than Bond.

But obviously a medium fast swing bowler can't be the best in the world unless they're Nathan Bracken/some Aussie eh Social? :p

Mills is one of the best around easily. there's nothing special to him, and in 03 if you'd said he would be this good most would have laughed, but there's no denying he's very, very effective and at the end of the day thats what the team asks for.

GGG

State Captain

Wasn't he number 1 a few years back aswell?

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Yea that's the thing with Taylor, he doesn't feel like has has too improve and he certainly hasn't in the last year or so. It's a shame because he has the talent to average over 40 in one day cricket.
It was over 40 or near enough at 40 not too long ago wasn't it?

Howsie

International Captain
It was over 40 or near enough at 40 not too long ago wasn't it?
I think it was at 40 just after he finished playing the Windies, it will never get that high again though, not with his ugly and useless 20/20 fame shot anyway. If he got rid of that he'd be a much better batsmen.

Polo23

International Debutant
I think it was at 40 just after he finished playing the Windies, it will never get that high again though, not with his ugly and useless 20/20 fame shot anyway. If he got rid of that he'd be a much better batsmen.
While I don't like that shot played at any time bar T20's and the last few overs of an ODI I think it's pretty naive to say he'll never average 40+ in ODI's. He's still got another good 10 years of cricket left in him if he wants it and he will obviously keep getting better. Taylor doesn't seem the type to become complacent either, so I genuinely think he will keep wanting to get better.

Howsie

International Captain
While I don't like that shot played at any time bar T20's and the last few overs of an ODI I think it's pretty naive to say he'll never average 40+ in ODI's. He's still got another good 10 years of cricket left in him if he wants it and he will obviously keep getting better. Taylor doesn't seem the type to become complacent either, so I genuinely think he will keep wanting to get better.
Will he though? I haven't seen any improvement in Taylor's game over the last year or so, so who's to say he will actually get better over the coming years.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Whaaaaat? What is with people and not seeing the massive change in how often Taylor hits across legs these days in ODI and Test cricket. Check out his scorecard wagon wheels on cricinfo.

Howsie

International Captain
Whaaaaat? What is with people and not seeing the massive change in how often Taylor hits across legs these days in ODI and Test cricket. Check out his scorecard wagon wheels on cricinfo.
It's still a bad shot and for the amount of times he get's out trying to use it, well in the end it's not really worth it.

Athlai

Not Terrible
It's still a bad shot and for the amount of times he get's out trying to use it, well in the end it's not really worth it.
Hardly ever gets out to it these days, his game has changed completely. Whenever he uses it (even in powerplay situations) every Kiwi poster throws their cookies up about it. This change in his game has somewhat dampened his strokeplay in the two longer forms of the game though.

Howsie

International Captain
Hardly ever gets out to it these days, his game has changed completely. Whenever he uses it (even in powerplay situations) every Kiwi poster throws their cookies up about it. This change in his game has somewhat dampened his strokeplay in the two longer forms of the game though.
And for good reason. Ross Taylor can play all around the wicket, he doesn't need to be shutting off half the field whilst trying to score quick runs. I can think of 3-4 times this year where he's attempted the "shot" when it wasn't on. Two dismisals against Mitchell Johnson spring to mind right away.

Athlai

Not Terrible
And for good reason. Ross Taylor can play all around the wicket, he doesn't need to be shutting off half the field whilst trying to score quick runs. I can think of 3-4 times this year where he's attempted the "shot" when it wasn't on. Two dismisals against Mitchell Johnson spring to mind right away.
It is certainly an issue to his game BUT an issue that he has clearly worked on.