Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pakistan Cricketers

International Vice-Captain Anna's Avatar

Pakistan Cricketers

Hi guys, I have a bit of a favour to ask.

I am putting together an e-flier for the Pakistan matches at Edgbaston next year & could do with knowing who the most popular/successful current Pakistan players are atm. Apart from Afridi and Umar Gul, I really don't have a clue.

Your help will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you

COME ON YOU BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"One day lad, all this will be yours"
    "What, the curtains?"

State Vice-Captain
    You could start with Younis Khan, their captain, then Mohummad Yousuf. their best batsman.

Shoaib Akhtar.

Quote Originally Posted by Xuhaib View Post
    Shoaib Akhtar.

Aside from Younis Khan, Mohammad Yousaf, Shahid Afridi, and Umar Gul, I would add Mohammad Aamer's name to the current "popular/successful" list.

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    What about Umar Akmal?
    Direbirds FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Wellington will win the whole thing next year. Mark my words.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    I'll offer up my avatar to Athlai forever if Wellington wins the Champions League.
    President of T.I.T.S
    Tamim Is Talented Society

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by subshakerz View Post
    You could start with Younis Khan, their captain, then Mohummad Yousuf. their best batsman.
    In Tests Younis Khan is miles better than Mohammad Yousuf AFAIC.

Afridi meanwhile is hopeless, though obviously you don't want to be saying that in an e-flier. Mohammad Aamer and Umar Akmal both look hugely promising as things currently stand but this is Pakistan we're talking about - players do this then drop off the radar in months with considerable regularity.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

International Debutant Black_Warrior's Avatar
    ^ with the bat yes definitely...but I wouldnt call him hopeless with the ball because he has been their most consistent bowler in ODIs.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    In Tests Younis Khan is miles better than Mohammad Yousuf AFAIC.

Afridi meanwhile is hopeless, though obviously you don't want to be saying that in an e-flier.
    Anna, Richard's analysis nothwithstanding, I think everyone here would agree that Mohammad Yousuf and Shahid Afridi are among the biggest names in Pakistan cricket. I am not a Pakistan supporter but I am confident that the they are also among the most popular players.

Oh they're among the biggest names no doubt - Mohammad Yousuf may not be anywhere near as good as his career average suggests but he's still one of Pakistan's best batsmen of all-time; Afridi's general hopelessness and occasional absolute superlativeness (and of course the fact he's actually a reasonable-if-not-outstanding bowler) possibly endears him more than outlaws him.

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Yeah but Anna didn't ask for the best players did she? Popular and successful =! good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

Well successful = most of what constitutes "good" TBH, but fair enough - I hadn't actually spotted the particular stipulation of "popular" there.

As for Mohammad Yousuf's popularity, think he's generally perceived as a middling batsman and fairly bland and nothing-much-too-him isn't he? Quite the anthesis of the classical Pakistani volatile-but-spasmodically-brilliant hero. And he went to the ICL, thus forsaking Pakistan - which fortunately for him proved possible to reverse.

U19 Debutant
    Mohammad Yousuf is more talented then Younis, just watch the way he bats and he is more consistent then Younis in both tests and odi's

International Vice-Captain Faisal1985's Avatar
    Afridi is all you need darling......................may be add the touch of Aamir and Gul....

Don't even think about Younis Khan!!!! We hate him right now for dropping that catch....and no Mo YO either.......soaked up too many balls in the semi...

Look at it this way......whoever did not make a mess of the Semi against NZ put their names down.....Gul is exception.........
    BE AFRIDI!
    Be VERY AFRIDI!!

U19 Debutant
    ^ typical pakistani attitude, if they win make them kings, if they lose insult them beyond death.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    As for Mohammad Yousuf's popularity, think he's generally perceived as a middling batsman
    Really? I think you're confusing your opinion with others' perceptions. I'd hazard a fairly confident guess that among Pakistan followers, and indeed among cricket followers around the world, he's generally perceived as an outstanding batsman. The fact that the odd cognoscento here or there may have dissected his record to expose some arguable weaknesses won't begin to change that fact.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information