• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pakistan Cricketers

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
You know I agree with you about Mohammad Yousuf and I wrote in some other topic why he falls shy of being truly hailed as a great batsman of his era but I wouldnt really rate Younis miles ahead of Yousuf either.. I mean my criticism was Yousuf's average record against Australia and South Africa (the two best teams of his era) and its not like Younis does a lot better than him against them.
My criticism of Yousuf relates to more than just that - it's not just Australia and South Africa he's failed against but he's also failed against the truly challenging England, Indian and Sri Lankan attacks he's faced, while cashing-in to a considerable degree on other occasions when facing them with lesser attacks (he didn't have much trouble against the Plunketts and co. in 2006 for instance). Younis, on the other hand, has basically barely stopped scoring runs, against good attacks and bad, in the last 6 years or so.

Glacier

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
My criticism of Yousuf relates to more than just that - it's not just Australia and South Africa he's failed against but he's also failed against the truly challenging England, Indian and Sri Lankan attacks he's faced, while cashing-in to a considerable degree on other occasions when facing them with lesser attacks (he didn't have much trouble against the Plunketts and co. in 2006 for instance). Younis, on the other hand, has basically barely stopped scoring runs, against good attacks and bad, in the last 6 years or so.
He only played 9 tests from January 2007 to July 2009 with large gaps between the series that Pakistan did play. Obviously his record in 2006 was hardly made against quality bowlers or challenging pitches but he was playing the best cricket of his life at that time and had he gotten more test matches to play he would have proven to be Pakistan's best performer in most of them.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Hi guys, I have a bit of a favour to ask.

I am putting together an e-flier for the Pakistan matches at Edgbaston next year & could do with knowing who the most popular/successful current Pakistan players are atm. Apart from Afridi and Umar Gul, I really don't have a clue.

Your help will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you :)
I've been thinking of trying to make it to London for this tour. Trying to think of reasons not to and not having much success. Ideally I'd like to watch a Test match at Lord's.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
He only played 9 tests from January 2007 to July 2009 with large gaps between the series that Pakistan did play. Obviously his record in 2006 was hardly made against quality bowlers or challenging pitches but he was playing the best cricket of his life at that time and had he gotten more test matches to play he would have proven to be Pakistan's best performer in most of them.
I don't see any evidence to suggest that TBH. I consider Younis Khan would've likely outperformed him, same way he had done 2003-2006.

Anna, Richard's analysis nothwithstanding, I think everyone here would agree that Mohammad Yousuf and Shahid Afridi are among the biggest names in Pakistan cricket. I am not a Pakistan supporter but I am confident that the they are also among the most popular players.
Shahid Afridi is light years behind from being the one of the biggest names in Pakistan Cricket.

Fusion

Global Moderator
Shahid Afridi is light years behind from being the one of the biggest names in Pakistan Cricket.
In terms of popularity? You must be kidding! He's probably THE most popular cricketer in Pakistan. Now if you’re talking about achievement, then that’s another story.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Yeah. Crowds leave the ground when he is out enmasse. Post popular Pakistani cricketer since Imran Khan bar none in his home country.

mohammad16

U19 Captain
LMAO are you high??????

Afridi's popularity at one point matched Tendulkars in his prime. Well in Pakistan in particular. I recall when Pakistan faced England at home, the whole stadium would fill up and roar to watch Afridi bat, and then they would just all leave when he got out. This was TEST cricket. I recall Sanjay talking about this effect being similar to what tendulkar used to have back in Indian stadiums in his prime.

Imran Khan was immensely popular, so was Javed Miandad in Karachi. I would put Afridi behind these two, but in terms of sheer ecstacy displayed by Pakistani fans in stadiums. No one has ever matched Afridi except Tendulkar who well no one can match in that respect.

Pakistani fans to this day just absolutely go crazy when he comes onto bat, whether in the Stadium or at home. Afridi is one in a billion and currently THE biggest name in Pakistan cricket.

Last edited: