• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Captains who have never lost a test series

Dissector

International Debutant
Viv Richards and Don Bradman come to mind and IIRC Richie Benaud. Any others? This list covers all the captains with more than 25 tests. Among those who never lost a series, Richards has the highest number of tests:50, a record that will be very difficult to break. Benaud has 28 tests. How many did Bradman captain? Any others on that list who never lost a series?

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Neither did The Big Ship - in fact he never even lost a Test, though he only captained Australia in two series.

To answer Dissector's question, Bradman captained Australia in 24 Tests.

Dissector

International Debutant
Ian Chappell is a little tricky. He did captain the last test in the 70-71 Ashes. Australia lost the test and the Ashes 2-0. He didn't lose any series which he captained fully. I am actually surprised how short his captaincy was. I had always imagined that he was the Australian captain for longer than Greg though I suppose you should count the Packer series as part of his captaincy.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
MS Dhoni. Actually, more than simply not losing, he's won every series he's captained the side for, as well as a one-off test against South Africa (Kumble captained for the first two games). It'll be interesting to see how long that one lasts.

Dissector

International Debutant
Here are the number of tests captained by the unbeaten captains mentioned so far who have finished their careers. I have decided to exclude Ian Chappell. After all the series was alive when he took over and a win would have both drawn the series and retained the Ashes. Dhoni incidentally has captained 7 tests. Hopefully I can add his name to the list after he finishes as captain,say, ten years from now.:cool:

Richards 50
Benaud 28
Bradman 24
Hutton 23
Jardine 15
Armstrong 10

JBMAC

State Captain
Here are the number of tests captained by the unbeaten captains mentioned so far who have finished their careers. I have decided to exclude Ian Chappell. After all the series was alive when he took over and a win would have both drawn the series and retained the Ashes. Dhoni incidentally has captained 7 tests. Hopefully I can add his name to the list after he finishes as captain,say, ten years from now.:cool:

Richards 50
Benaud 28
Bradman 24
Hutton 23
Jardine 15
Armstrong 10
That list is all well and good but did you take into consideration only Richards and Benaud had the same number of test playing countries.The others were very limited.Maybe a fairer assessment would be based on percentages??

Dissector

International Debutant
Well the flip side is that the more tests you captained the more likely you were to lose a series. And teams like India, Pakistan and New Zealand were much stronger in the 80's than in earlier decades.