Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Better than Bradman?

U19 Debutant

Better than Bradman?

Will there ever be any batsmen better then Bradman?

Also what happens if a batsmen comes plays 20 tests averaging 100 and then retires

will he be known as better then Bradman?

Mike Hussey came close right? his average was around 80 during his 20th test match

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    If Bradman had not existed then someone who scored as he did would basically be thought impossible, and for good reason.

The likelihood of another Bradman is probably somewhere very, very, very fractionally above zero.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

It rather depends on how long proper cricket continues to be played.

Yeah that too. At the current time, cricket (ie, the four\five-day game) appears in more danger of ceasing to be played than at any time in history - though when you know one and do not know another, as the vast majority of us do, those appearances could conceivably be deceptive.

Nonetheless, even if cricket continues to be played until Earth ends (that too is undoubtedly in more danger now than ever), I'd not be all that surprised if there was never another Bradman.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    It rather depends on how long proper cricket continues to be played.
    It'll need to be a while if Charles Davis's statistical analysis is anything to go by. In The Best of The Best Davis estimates a player of Bradman's quality comes along once in every 184,000 test batsman. (link)
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

U19 Debutant
    ^ but again if a new batsmen comes and averages 100 in the 20 tests he plays and then retires, would he be considered greater then Bradman? Hussey almost did that lol, but he didn't retire

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    It'll need to be a while if Charles Davis's statistical analysis is anything to go by. In The Best of The Best Davis estimates a player of Bradman's quality comes along once in every 184,000 test batsman. (link)
    I don't know too much about baseball, basketball and golf but comparing batting average with goals per game for football is just completely wrong. The figure of goals per game is nowhere near as telling a stat as a batsmen or bowlers average. Firstly it only really applies to strikers, and so they don't really help us judge players like Maradona, Cruyff, Beckenbauer etc who could be considered the best ever in football. You can't quantify the skills of footballers into a stat like batting average.

Quote Originally Posted by SaeedAnwar View Post
    ^ but again if a new batsmen comes and averages 100 in the 20 tests he plays and then retires, would he be considered greater then Bradman? Hussey almost did that lol, but he didn't retire
    Nope I wouldn't say he was better then Bradman after 20 Tests unless he didn't have many not outs and he died tragically, if he just walked out of cricket after 20 tests over a 2 or 3 year period I can't see how he'd be considered better.

He'd need to play I dunno 50 plus tests to have Bradman's spot under threat.
    NRL Tipping Champion 2014

Over 0.2: Putland to Nevill, OUT, no run, full ball swings in late to crash into his pads. Nevill is almost falling over trying to get bat on it but can't. Huge shout for LBW and Umpire Martell eventually raises the finger! P.Nevill - lbw b:Putland 0 (1 ball, 1 minute).

For me it's never been about the number of Tests, rather the time in which they cover. Bradman (and Tendulkar for that matter) maintained their brilliant records over many years (both in three seperate decades iirc), a Hussey for example only did it for a few years even though a fair amount of Tests were played in that time. It's not about longevity rather seperating the purple patches from the real class.
    Last edited by pasag; 03-10-2009 at 08:05 PM.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Davis made an error in his analysis. Bradman is by far the greatest batsman but he didnt master other aspects of the game to that extent. I guess one could say the same of Cobb et al (not Jordan he mastered most/all aspects of B ball). For that reason i would consider Bradman as the greatest cricketer but not the best if that makes ne sense.

Always considered Sobers the best, finest, greatest etc. (all the same thing AFAIC) cricketer of all-time personally.

Bradman obviously by light-years the best batsman.

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Who is this Better fellow?

And if the rankings are Better, then Bradman who is next? Better then Bradman then ?
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

Good spot, hadn't noticed that (which is unlike me TBH).

Someone fix the title FFS.

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post

Someone fix the title FFS.
    It's probably the one I hate the most, and it's spreading like wildfire on here. It's amazing how that seems to be picked up easier than the right word.

International Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I tend to notice spelling mistakes straight away as well (as I did in this case) but because English isn't always the first language of the poster I ignore them just in case, because their English is infinitely superior to my Ancient Urdu.

Spot the equally unusual deliberate mistake in this post.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information