Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 31

Thread: Happy with your current national side? (ODIs)

  1. #1
    International Coach pup11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    India
    Posts
    12,146

    Happy with your current national side? (ODIs)

    Just felt a thread like this would be a good platform to discuss the state of one's national side and the changes that should be made, and with a eye on 2011 World Cup, would be interesting to see who are the players that most of the posters would like to see play through to the 2011 World Cup for their respective sides.

    Starting with the team I support, which is Australia, have been kind of confused about what really is going on in terms of selection in the ODI side in the recent times, we have picked a lot of players who have just played a few games, and then for some reason have just vanished from the equation.

    Despite all that, I think the current ODI team is making steady steps towards developing into a stable ODI unit, but still I think there is a lot of scope for improvement and this is the core group of 25 players, that I would like to see the selectors pick and choose and rotate players around from:

    AUSTRALIA
    1.Phillip Hughes
    2.Shane Watson
    3.Ricky Ponting (C)
    4.Brad Haddin (WK)
    5.Callum Ferguson
    6.Mike Hussey
    7.Cameron White
    8.Mitchell Johnson
    9.Brett Lee
    10.Nathan Hauritz
    11.Nathan Bracken
    12.James Hopes
    13.Peter Siddle
    14.Ben Hilfenhaus
    15.Doug Bollinger
    16.Tim Paine (reserve wicket-keeper)
    17.David Hussey
    18.Brad Hodge
    19 Brett Geeves
    20.Marcus North
    21.David Warner
    22.Dirk Nannes
    23.Travis Birt
    24.Michael Clarke
    25.Jon Holland/ Xavier Doherty/Steven Smith


    If anyone beyond from this list performs exceedingly well then they should also be considered, but we surely should stick with a pool of talented players, rather than picking anyone who has a few good games in row at the domestic level.

    Would also push Clarke out of that list and rather have someone like Shaun Marsh or Voges, that's of course if Clarke doesn't lift his OD form.

  2. #2
    Hall of Fame Member aussie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Fine Leg/Technical Area
    Posts
    17,446
    If its 2011, surely Marsh has to be considered. While Hodge ODI days are surely overs, throw in one of Vooges, Cosgrove, Hughes in there.

    Plus Tait has to considered still ahead of one of Geeves, Hilfy, Bollinger if we are presuming he can get back to his 2007 WC level.

  3. #3
    International Coach pup11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    India
    Posts
    12,146
    Quote Originally Posted by aussie View Post
    If its 2011, surely Marsh has to be considered. While Hodge ODI days are surely overs, throw in one of Vooges, Cosgrove, Hughes in there.

    Plus Tait has to considered still ahead of one of Geeves, Hilfy, Bollinger if we are presuming he can get back to his 2007 WC level.
    How can you say that Hodge's ODI days are over, when he is about the same age as the likes of Ponting and Hussey, age should never be a factor when picking a national side, its the performances that should count, Hodge and the selectors aren't on the same wavelength, and that's pretty much the only reason why he isn't a part of the Aussie side, which is something very wrong and unacceptable.

    Tait is one name that kind of skipped my mid, but I really don't know what the selectors are trying to achieve with him, he has been kept wrapped in cotton wool by them for a while now, only to play him in the Australian A side, but he is not even being considered for the Aussie national side, so unless he is struggling with fitness, don't know where his international career is heading atm.

    Geeves, Hilfy and Bollinger all are good prospects for the future, and I know I might receive some flak for sticking out my neck and saying this at this point of time, but by working on a few minor things, Hilfy is someone who can prove to be very good bowler for us in the shorter formats as well.

  4. #4
    Global Moderator Prince EWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Cribbertopia
    Posts
    56,737
    Can't help but lol @ some of the blokes that got a mention before Voges.
    Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09
    'Stats' is not a synonym for 'Career Test Averages'


    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Tucker
    Someone asked me the other day if I believe in conspiracies. Well, sure. Here's one. It is called the political system. It is nothing if not a giant conspiracy to rob, trick and subjugate the population.
    Before replying to TJB, always remember:
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJediBrah View Post
    Next week I'll probably be arguing the opposite


  5. #5
    Hall of Fame Member Marcuss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    17,433
    1. Strauss
    2. Davies
    3. Trott
    4. Pietersen
    5. Collingwood
    6. Flintoff
    7. Wright/Mascarenhas
    8. Broad
    9. Swann
    10. Seamer
    11. Anderson

    Could make a case for Morgan in the XI, especially after recent performances.

  6. #6
    Hall of Fame Member aussie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Fine Leg/Technical Area
    Posts
    17,446
    Quote Originally Posted by pup11 View Post
    How can you say that Hodge's ODI days are over, when he is about the same age as the likes of Ponting and Hussey, age should never be a factor when picking a national side, its the performances that should count, Hodge and the selectors aren't on the same wavelength, and that's pretty much the only reason why he isn't a part of the Aussie side, which is something very wrong and unacceptable.
    Exactly. But even if Hodge was still in the selectors favour i still wouldn't consider him for ODIs - just the test side.



    Quote Originally Posted by pup11 View Post
    Tait is one name that kind of skipped my mid, but I really don't know what the selectors are trying to achieve with him, he has been kept wrapped in cotton wool by them for a while now, only to play him in the Australian A side, but he is not even being considered for the Aussie national side, so unless he is struggling with fitness, don't know where his international career is heading atm.
    Once he can stay fit in the upcoming domestic season, he should be in serious consideration for the ODI & T20 sides.

    Quote Originally Posted by pup11 View Post
    Geeves, Hilfy and Bollinger all are good prospects for the future, and I know I might receive some flak for sticking out my neck and saying this at this point of time, but by working on a few minor things, Hilfy is someone who can prove to be very good bowler for us in the shorter formats as well.
    Dont see the big deal with Geeves, wouldn't have him near the ODI squad. Hilfy could come good in ODIs, bit currently i dont think he has the tools to be a ODI bowler. The Hoggard of AUS cricket.

  7. #7
    Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    England
    Posts
    62,980
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcuss View Post
    1. Strauss
    2. Davies
    3. Trott
    4. Pietersen
    5. Collingwood
    6. Flintoff
    7. Wright/Mascarenhas
    8. Broad
    9. Swann
    10. Seamer
    11. Anderson

    Could make a case for Morgan in the XI, especially after recent performances.
    Yes, in that number 7 spot ahead of Wright (promises a lot but yet to deliver) and Mascarenhas (doesn't even promise a lot and shouldn't be anywhere near batting at 7)
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

    Anyone want to join the Society?

    Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

  8. #8
    State Regular jondavluc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Westside of that big light blub thingy
    Posts
    943
    Captain
    Ricky Ponting

    Vice Captain
    Micheal Clarke

    Openers

    Marsh
    Jaques
    Hughes
    Warner

    All Rounders

    Watson
    Hopes

    Wicket Keeper

    Brad Haddin
    Tim Paine

    Fast Bowlers

    Brett Lee
    Mitchell Johnson
    Nathan Bracken
    Doug Bollinger
    Shaun Tait
    Peter Siddle
    Clint Mckay
    Ben Hilfenhaus

    Middle Order Batsmen

    Callum Ferguson
    Micheal Hussey
    David Hussey
    Cameron White
    Adam Voges

    Spinners

    Nathan Hauritz
    Jon Holland

  9. #9
    International Coach pup11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    India
    Posts
    12,146
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Can't help but lol @ some of the blokes that got a mention before Voges.
    I can't understand what all this fuss is about Voges, he has never been a consistent player at the domestic level and neither is he such a match winning player that one would ignore his inconsistency with the bat.
    Last edited by pup11; 01-10-2009 at 09:44 AM.

  10. #10
    Hall of Fame Member Marcuss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    17,433
    Quote Originally Posted by marc71178 View Post
    Yes, in that number 7 spot ahead of Wright (promises a lot but yet to deliver) and Mascarenhas (doesn't even promise a lot and shouldn't be anywhere near batting at 7)
    Yeah, I like Wright but not quite sure this is his time. He shows glimpses but until he can deliver on a consistent basis we should opt for an alternative. I personally wouldn't have too much of an issue with Dimi at 7, there is still Broad and Swann to come after him and should the top 6 do their job he can come out and do a pretty decent job at finishing the innings off. Then again that does involve relying on the top 6 to do their job.

    Morgan at 7 just seems a little bit of a waste, if he was in the team ahead of Dimi I think we'd have to have a much more flexible batting order.

  11. #11
    Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    England
    Posts
    62,980
    Morgan would bat at 5 or 6 in that case.

    Mascarenhas has this so called big hitting, finishing, aura - but how often has he actually done it? I'd personally rate Broad as a better bat and Swann for that matter anyway.

    Add in his bowling being completely innocuous and you have a modern day bits and pieces player.

  12. #12
    Hall of Fame Member Marcuss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    17,433
    Quote Originally Posted by marc71178 View Post
    Morgan would bat at 5 or 6 in that case.

    Mascarenhas has this so called big hitting, finishing, aura - but how often has he actually done it? I'd personally rate Broad as a better bat and Swann for that matter anyway.

    Add in his bowling being completely innocuous and you have a modern day bits and pieces player.
    Bits and pieces is probably fair. I rate his bowling though even if he doesn't look like taking a wicket most of the time he offers good control in the middle overs, very rarely does he disappear to the fence for a shed load of runs.

    What exactly do you want at 7 though?

  13. #13
    International Coach pup11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    India
    Posts
    12,146
    Quote Originally Posted by aussie View Post
    Exactly. But even if Hodge was still in the selectors favour i still wouldn't consider him for ODIs - just the test side
    Why is that, Hodgey is still the most prolific OD batsman in Australia?

    Quote Originally Posted by aussie View Post
    he can stay fit in the upcoming domestic season, he should be in serious consideration for the ODI & T20 sides.
    Well, Tait is a match winner with the ball, but he's nothing short of a liability in the field or with the bat, on top of that, like we saw in the recent Aussie ODI season, he just can't string together consecutive games, and all this trouble would have been worth it, if he could have atleast managed to stay fit for a considerable period of time.

    Quote Originally Posted by aussie View Post
    see the big deal with Geeves, wouldn't have him near the ODI squad. Hilfy could come good in ODIs, bit currently i dont think he has the tools to be a ODI bowler. The Hoggard of AUS cricket.
    Geeves is a bloke who bowls at decent pace and swings the new white ball, and he is also a handy lower order bat, so he is a good prospect in that regard, as for Hilfy, unlike what you are saying, Hilfy does have the toys like a good bouncer, slower ball, yorker, but he has failed to use them properly, and on top of that his length has generally been poor, so its the execution of his skills that he needs to work on.

  14. #14
    Global Moderator Prince EWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Cribbertopia
    Posts
    56,737
    Quote Originally Posted by pup11 View Post
    I can't understand what all this fuss is about Voges, he has never been a consistent player at the domestic level and neither is he such a match winning player that one would ignore his inconsistency with bat.
    I don't really get this statement at all. I have a feeling you may be mixing his First Class performances and his OD performances up, but even that doesn't really make sense as, if he's anything in First Class cricket, he's at least consistent. While he's never quite lived up to the hype as a First Class batsman (though 4176 runs @ 39 is hardly rubbish - it's his conversation rate that remains the problem), his performances as a batsman in one day cricket have been exceptional. Last season in the FRC he averaged just shy of 45 despite only hitting one century - if that's not consistent I don't really know what is. Maybe you want him to do that four seasons in a row or something ridiculous, holding him to a standard you certainly haven't held Hughes, North, Warner, Ferguson or White to.

    Well, funnily enough, he has anyway.

    2005/06 - 49.83
    2006/07 - 48.37
    2007/08 - 51.00
    2008/09 - 44.42

    What I really like about Voges, aside from his god-like OD domestic stats, is how adaptable as a batsman he is. WA really struggled with the bat in the FRC last season and he took on the role of batting through the innings after top order collapses (and there were plenty) successfully, but he's also shown the ability to come in after a good platform and just blast the bowlers to all parts from ball one - like his 39 ball hundred on debut for Western Australia, his entire Twenty20 career and even his two games for Australia. He can do either job which makes him particularly valuable.

  15. #15
    Global Moderator Prince EWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Cribbertopia
    Posts
    56,737
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcuss View Post
    Bits and pieces is probably fair. I rate his bowling though even if he doesn't look like taking a wicket most of the time he offers good control in the middle overs, very rarely does he disappear to the fence for a shed load of runs.

    What exactly do you want at 7 though?
    With Flintoff in the team at 5 or 6 anyway (at full strength) and Collingwood able to bowl a few, I don't think bowling's really a key issue from the #7 bat. What you need there is a batsman who can come in and hit from ball one. Wright and Morgan have both shown glipses of being able to do that.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Player's Averages - What will they end with?
    By Jono in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 184
    Last Post: 26-03-2009, 04:51 PM
  2. Preditct national side in 2008
    By Monty in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 67
    Last Post: 27-11-2007, 04:12 PM
  3. Replies: 1876
    Last Post: 23-09-2005, 04:21 PM
  4. Replies: 137
    Last Post: 29-03-2005, 06:36 PM
  5. Surrey 2002: A Cricket Captain Diary
    By SIX AND OUT in forum Cricket Games
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 17-02-2005, 08:25 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •