• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

PTU ODI Rankings - End Of Sep 2009

Paid The Umpire

All Time Legend
Hey.

Some of you might remember that I made up ranking in 2006, but stop after some other things happened in life. Anyways, I had a couple of weeks after an operation so i decided to revive it. What you think? Is it as accurate as I think?

This includes the AUS v PAK and IND v WI games in the Champions Trophy.

Pos. Team Score To 1st
1 Australia 110.33
2 South Africa 100.63 -9.71
3 India 97.95 -12.38
4 New Zealand 96.61 -13.73
5 Sri Lanka 92.06 -18.27
6 England 90.05 -20.29
7 Pakistan 84.95 -25.38
8 West Indies 71.21 -39.12
9 Bangladesh 53.00 -57.34
10 Zimbabwe 38.77 -71.56

James

Cricket Web Owner
Wow - welcome back PTU!

Sure do remember your rankings!

Might be handy for people if you say how you calculate them.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Welcome back Mr Langley.

Always loved the way your user tag (All-time legend) remained the same while almost all others' changed in, whatever it was, 2006 or so.

Paid The Umpire

All Time Legend
Welcome back Mr Langley.

Always loved the way your user tag (All-time legend) remained the same while almost all others' changed in, whatever it was, 2006 or so.
I still am a All-time legend :P
OK To the information about the rankings....

---------------------------------------
RATING A GAME

Each team in every match between two countries is given a rating to award how well they performed in the game. Points are awarded but they can also be lost through a very poor match. The result and the actual match scores affect the amount of points each team receive, the following shows the actual points that can be rewarded.

Ways To Earn Game Points

• 13pts - Win the match
  • 6pts - Tie the match
  • 0.02pts for each run scored
  • 0.17pts for each wicket taken
  • 0.30pts if the opposing team is bowled out
  • #.##pts for the teams Run Rate ***
Ways To Lose Game Points

• 0.01pt for each run scored against you
  • 0.085pts for each wicket lost
  • 0.15pts if the your team is bowled out
*** Run Rate points is calculated by Runs/Overs. Where a team is all out the Run Rate is then calculated by [Runs/Maximum Overs Possible]. Scoring 4-200 off 40 overs gives you 5.00 points, but getting all out for 200 off only 25.4 overs would only give you 4.00 points. So in a rain affected match if you are bowled out in a match with only 45 overs a side then your run rate is by the 45 overs.

Example Match
England v India
England 4-270 (50)
India 4-273 (43.4)

India scores:
13.00 for the win
+ 5.46 for runs scored
+ 0.68 for wickets taken
+ 6.25 for run rate
- 0.34 for losing wickets
- 2.70 for Conceding runs
=22.35 total for INDIA

England scores:
0.00 for the loss
+ 5.40 for runs scored
+ 0.68 for wickets taken
+ 5.40 for run rate
- 0.34 for losing wickets
- 2.73 for Conceding runs
= 8.41 total for ENGLAND

These two values (India's 22.35 and England's 8.41) are then graded together to a total of ten, so as to make sure no team can get a leg up through uneven match totals. So India ends up with 7.26, with England getting 2.74;

--------------------------
RATING A TEAM V TEAM COMBO
--------------------------

With only the current ten test playing nations being represented in these ODI Rankings there are 45 combinations between two different teams.

All games in the past five years are counted with newer games being worth more than older games. As each match gets older it becomes less important and therefore is given a value of less importance. With games being worth 10 straight away but only worth 1 after four and a half years.

The totals for all games in the past five years (in this case 19 games, worth a total of 112pts) are then graded down to a two team combination is now out of a total of twenty. England 7.65 v India 12.35.

---------------------------
CREATING THE OVERALL RATING
---------------------------

Each team now has nine scores out of twenty, one against each other nation, which are then weighed in two ways the first by "Grading" and then "Multiplying" methods.

GRADING -------
Each team is ranked by the total amount of points that they have and then they are weighed (0.83, 0.84, 0.86, 0.89 ... 1.19, 1.28) as the best teams have a higher weighting than those poorer nations. Each of the teams nine scores is then multiplied by the weight of the opposing team.
Example:
South Africa are ranked 2nd thus have a weighting of 1.19, each of the other countries scores against South Africa are worth 119% of its value.
Sri Lanka are ranked 5th thus have a weighting of 0.98, each of the other countries scores against Sri Lanka are only worth 98% of its full value.

Playing well against the top teams (Australia and South Africa) is worth more than playing well against the bottom teams (Zimbabwe, Bangladesh and West Indies).

MULTIPLYING -----
Each score of each team is multiplied by the average score of that opponent.
Example A:
Pakistan score 7.93 against Australia(17.00 average after weighting).
Pakistan score 134.84pts for their games against Australia.

Example B:
Pakistan score 16.31 against Bangladesh(5.28 average after weighting).
Pakistan score 86.08pts for their games against Bangladesh.

The totals for each team are then added together and then divided by 10 to make viewing simpler.

OTHER DETAILS
-------------
This now gives a final values which are ranked and finalised. There are a couple of other points that will now be addressed.
  • Teams can get negative game values. Only in extreme cases of absolute floggings when PAK beat BANG by 10 wickets, BANG scored 1 out of 10. It must be a huge flogging to lose points.
  • Games that get abandoned are not used in the ranking of teams.
  • Games that involve the DuckWorth-Lewis system are used in rankings. Bowled out team's run rates are calulated by maximum possible overs not the regular 50.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Hey.

Some of you might remember that I made up ranking in 2006, but stop after some other things happened in life. Anyways, I had a couple of weeks after an operation so i decided to revive it. What you think? Is it as accurate as I think?

This includes the AUS v PAK and IND v WI games in the Champions Trophy.

Pos. Team Score To 1st
1 Australia 110.33
2 South Africa 100.63 -9.71
3 India 97.95 -12.38
4 New Zealand 96.61 -13.73
5 Sri Lanka 92.06 -18.27
6 England 90.05 -20.29
7 Pakistan 84.95 -25.38
8 West Indies 71.21 -39.12
9 Bangladesh 53.00 -57.34
10 Zimbabwe 38.77 -71.56
What about the other 6 ODi Status teams huh:huh:

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
It's always interesting to see different rankings. Do you know what the reason is that Pakistan are below England in these rankings compared to the ICC ones?

Also, I know it's a bit OT, but does anyone know of any good alternative player rankings to the Reliance-ICC ones?

Paid The Umpire

All Time Legend
Pakistan has "wins" over Bangladesh, England, West Indies, Zimbabwe
England has "wins" over Bangladesh, South Africa, West Indies, Zimbabwe

Pakistan has 10.4
England has 10.9

England's lead over South Africa, give a large amount of points. If Eng lose one or two games against SA they will drop.