Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The defintion of "pressure" for batsmen in a test match

International Vice-Captain Days of Grace's Avatar

The defintion of "pressure" for batsmen in a test match

As part of my ongoing Test batsmen ratings, I want to do a study on how many "pressure centuries" the best batsmen in Test history have scored.

Just want to get some ideas on how "pressure" is defined.

Here are my four criteria.
    a) Scored in any team innings under 400
    b) Scored in the 2nd innings of a match in a team innings over 400, when the team was chasing a first innings score of over 400
    b) Scored in a team innings of over 400 but the team went on to lose the match (very rare)
    c) Scored in the 3rd innings of a match, except for when a team's first innings lead is over 150, and except for when by that stage a result is out of the question (which would be my own interpretation)
    d) Scored in any 4th innings of a match (in some 4th innings' one could argue that a result is out of the question, but I figure that if one batsmen has time to score a century, then the bowling team has time to bowl his side out.)

What do you think?
    Greatest Ever Test XI: JB Hobbs, L Hutton, DG Bradman (c), IVA Richards, BC Lara, GS Sobers, AC Gilchrist (wk), Imran Khan, RJ Hadlee, MD Marshall, SK Warne 12th man: M Muralitharan

Favorite XI: WG Grace, VT Trumper, IVA Richards, DCS Compton, FMM Worrell (c), AC Gilchrist (wk), CL Cairns, SK Warne, FS Trueman, SE Bond, T Richardson 12th man: H Larwood

Fair criteria's overall i guess. But on point A, i'm not sure if you should limit it to runs under 400 you know. I can immediately think of Waugh's hundred vs WI 99 & Ramprakash/Thorpe partnership in 98 vs WI as well. Both pressure hundreds, but the team score was over 400. So i guess you can be a bit more open with point A.

Interesting.

I wouldn't only consider final innings scores.

I can think of the match where Elliott made 199 and Ponting made 127, the score was 4/50 when Ponting came to the crease. The team ended up 501 due to the two big scores. Surely both centuries should be considered pressure ones.
    NRL Tipping Champion 2014

Over 0.2: Putland to Nevill, OUT, no run, full ball swings in late to crash into his pads. Nevill is almost falling over trying to get bat on it but can't. Huge shout for LBW and Umpire Martell eventually raises the finger! P.Nevill - lbw b:Putland 0 (1 ball, 1 minute).

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    It is a far far better place ............ etc etc
    What about the state of a series or even the batsman's career? - Mike Hussey's century at the Oval springs to mind as one where he had extra pressure as a result of his place being under threat

International Vice-Captain Days of Grace's Avatar
    For point A, perhaps if at a stage in the innings, the team score is 3/30, 4/60, etc. then it can count as a pressure century.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Yeah, when I think of pressure centuries I tend to think of something like Symonds at Sydney where he came in at about 85/5.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

We should just have a CW panel and go through every single 100 in the history of cricket and vote on which ones appear pressure or not.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Pressure doesn't exist though - haven't you all read the Dickinson files?
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Haha.

It is a bit subjective. Some people feel pressure when there's a big crowd, some feel it when there's no one watching and it's just you and 11 fielders. Some bear the weight of expectation heavily when playing at home, others find partisan crowds in other countries hard to deal with. For some coming in at 60/5 is a nightmare scenario while for others chasing a target of 400 is impossibly hard to deal with mentally.

You know it's there, but I don't think you can define it.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Definitely agree with Uppercut. You also need to look at the context though; coming in at 5/60 in a dead rubber is a lot different than coming in at 5/60 in the deciding match in an important series. Plus, if the player's position and form are under scrutiny from the media, coming in at 2/200 could be just as bad. I'd say it's way too subjective to define well.
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

Or, thinking of Kumar Sangakkara's big knock against Australia, is chasing an absolutely massive total a high-pressure scenario, or is it a low-pressure scenario because the situation is all but hopeless?

State Vice-Captain
    Pressure is all about context. I think to the first test of the recently concluded Ashes series. Ponting came in at 60-1 facing England's first innings of 435. On paper it would look like a bit of pressure scenario but in reality the bowling was so woeful and the pitch so benign that it could hardly have been called such.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marc71178 View Post
    Pressure doesn't exist though - haven't you all read the Dickinson files?
    You clearly haven't, because after all these years you're still trotting-out words I've never once said and putting it accross as though I had, purely because you'd like me to have said them. I'd be suing you for libel if there was anything to sue over, because misrepresentation of another's views as you do is unacceptable.

Anyway there is no definition of "a pressure situation", nor can there ever be. Pressure is not some sort of aura or field which encompasses everyone to the exact same degree, it's a mental feeling. Thus each person is different. What will be great pressure to one will be much less to another.

Any number of factors which potentially contribute, and can go either way, most of which have already been mentioned. For some the pressure might feel on, for some it might feel off: big\small crowd, the position of your career, the position of your team in the match\series, the score (progressively as you go, not just when you come to the wicket), in a limited-overs game there's the scoring-rate (some also suggest this applies in Tests - not to a well-rounded mind it doesn't, at least not in the vast majority of circumstances). It all contributes. But there's no way you can say what pressure the batsman is feeling, because it is neither quantifiable nor aught but unique to an individual.

Of course, the ability to not feel pressure where many would is a huge natural asset in the game of cricket, even though it isn't a physical talent. It's some of what made Stephen Waugh so good. Lack of it is just about all of what made Mark Ramprakash at Test level from 1991 to 1995/96 so utterly hopeless. The ability to keep your game intact despite feeling under huge pressure is also a huge natural asset.
    Last edited by Richard; 01-10-2009 at 10:01 AM.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    Yeah, when I think of pressure centuries I tend to think of something like Symonds at Sydney where he came in at about 85/5.
    I'd tend to think he'd be under less pressure because everyone else had failed, so he wouldn't stand out as having failed.

The most impressive innings pressure wise are IMO when someone is fighting for their place in the team and chasing a high score where everyone else in the team does relatively well, but they still go onto to get a high score.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

That's taking the view that Symonds is selfish (perhaps reasonable, but he really did hate losing). At 85/5 you're looking at a situation where if you don't manage to score runs, you've pretty much lost the game. Make or break time. If you bat at 4 you at least know that if you don't fail there's another couple of batsmen to come that could make runs.

It's like walking a tightrope without a safety net. You fail, and the game's gone.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information