Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The defintion of "pressure" for batsmen in a test match

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    The more I think about this the more difficult (or do I mean impossible?) it is - problem illustrated by Ian Botham's 149* Headingley '81 - looking at the scorecard it could easily be assumed to be a high pressure situation but as we've all heard him say time and again he just went out and treated the circumstances as an excuse to enjoy himself

International Vice-Captain Days of Grace's Avatar
    Yeah, pressure is very subjective. I guess, to make it more objective, I could define as "the team is under pressure" which could be stretched to situations when it looks in all likelihood that the team is going to lose.

What I'm basically saying is that any century scored in any match apart from a boring draw or where your team wins by an innings or 300 runs should count as a "pressure" century.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Yea, it's about how much pressure the person feels, which is very often very subjective and depending on personal circumstance. I don't think it can be defined as a criteria that we can select against. Even in a blowout, if you're fighting for your place, that could have much more pressure than being 90/5 knowing you're going to lose anyway and going out and enjoying yourself, like Botham.
    Last edited by silentstriker; 01-10-2009 at 06:43 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

International Coach tooextracool's Avatar
    Dick Quicks Island Adventure Champion!
    Nasser Hussain claims in his autobiography that he felt under less pressure if he came in when the score was 10/2 than when they were 200/2 for the simple reason being that in the 10/2 situation if he failed, he wouldn't be the only one in the side to have done so and therefore the expectation on him to perform would be less. Similarly, if he got out quickly in the 200/2 situation, it could very well have resulted in a collapse which he may have triggered. I can relate to this idea because the fact is I would almost always prefer to bat at 10/2 than 100/2.

Point being that 'pressure' is very much subjective and it really depends on the player as to what is a pressure situation and what isn't. In the example with Nasser, it goes a long way to showing why he excelled in circumstances where the team was struggling, but does that make him a good pressure player when he himself claims that he struggled in what he describes as his own pressure situations?
    Tendulkar = the most overated player EVER!!
    Beckham = the most overated footballer EVER!!
    Vassell = the biggest disgrace since rikki clarke!!

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Days of Grace View Post
    Yeah, pressure is very subjective. I guess, to make it more objective, I could define as "the team is under pressure" which could be stretched to situations when it looks in all likelihood that the team is going to lose.

What I'm basically saying is that any century scored in any match apart from a boring draw or where your team wins by an innings or 300 runs should count as a "pressure" century.
    Again you can't have the team being under pressure because pressure is a feeling, and teams do not have feelings. You can give different degrees of difficulty of situation in which the team is in (even that is open to some things that are essentially impossible to quantify) but that's different to being under pressure.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Again you can't have the team being under pressure because pressure is a feeling, and teams do not have feelings. You can give different degrees of difficulty of situation in which the team is in (even that is open to some things that are essentially impossible to quantify) but that's different to being under pressure.
    I disagree, how a team handles pressure comes down to the individuals that make up that team and how the team management etc deals with pressure situations. A team isn't a non-living entity, it's made up of 11 individuals + background staff. If a feeling of panic spreads through the team when they're reduced to something like 4/2 then they're in all sorts of trouble. Then you have what happened to England when they were rolled for 51.
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

Quote Originally Posted by son of coco View Post
    i disagree, how a team handles pressure comes down to the individuals that make up that team and how the team management etc deals with pressure situations. A team isn't a non-living entity, it's made up of 11 individuals + background staff. If a feeling of panic spreads through the team when they're reduced to something like 4/2 then they're in all sorts of trouble. Then you have what happened to england when they were playing test matches in the 90s.
    fyp.
    Or something.

RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990 - 15/4/2006

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamee999 View Post
    fyp.

Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    We should just have a CW panel and go through every single 100 in the history of cricket and vote on which ones appear pressure or not.
    Best way to determine it for study purposes imo (even though it would take an age ). Any purely objective method of determining a "pressure innings" is always going to create more question marks than one that accounts for the context of each individual performance.
    Last edited by Johnners; 05-10-2009 at 12:38 AM. Reason: awesome grammar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Mitch Johnson is ****ing awesome for cricket.
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Ponting's ability to ton up in the first innings of a series should not be understated. So much pressure, so important. What a great!

Quote Originally Posted by Clapo View Post
    Best way to determine it for study purposes imo (even though it would take an age ). Any purely objective method of determining a "pressure innings" is always going to create more question marks than one that takes that accounts for the context of each individual performance.
    Okay let's begin:

C. Bannerman 165
    pressure: NUFAN, Prince EWS
    not pressure

Reason: Wickets tumbling, first ever test match, knew who his relatives in the future was going to be.

Last edited by NUFAN; 04-10-2009 at 10:47 PM.

International Vice-Captain Days of Grace's Avatar
    Yeah, I have basically given up including pressure innings.

It would take way too long.

Instead, I am putting in Centuries in matches won as a criteria. I am still not sure about that, tbh, since I am sure that a batsman's century probably doesn't contribute to a match win as much as a bowler's 5WI, right?

It's amazing how different the pressure and 100s in a winning match will change.

Someone like Chanderpaul and Flower would be annoyed with the change for sure.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    It could be argued that 100s in a losing match are the sign of a better player.

If you want to tamper in that respect, the only thing you could really do would be to take out the runs scored in draws. You'd shave off some excellent innings, of course. But statistically it might be a better overall analysis.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Just because the game ends in a draw doesn't mean that any innings played weren't done so under pressure, though. Thinking of Ponting's knock at Old Trafford here as the first example.
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Son Of Coco View Post
    I disagree, how a team handles pressure comes down to the individuals that make up that team and how the team management etc deals with pressure situations. A team isn't a non-living entity, it's made up of 11 individuals + background staff. If a feeling of panic spreads through the team when they're reduced to something like 4/2 then they're in all sorts of trouble. Then you have what happened to England when they were rolled for 51.
    How each individual handles pressure - or is able to completely avert any of it - makes no difference to how any one other does. Cricket is a team game played by individuals - at any one point it's only ever one batsman against one bowler.

Yes, if panic spreads through a team when they lose a couple of early wickets then that can compound tricky situations. But an entire team cannot handle pressure, because a) they don't play together as a team, it's each man for himself as he faces the delivery and b) each individual will not be feeling equally under pressure.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information