• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pakistan's bowling and India's batting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SaeedAnwar

U19 Debutant
Why is that all through out history Pakistan's bowling has always been strong and India's batting has always been strong?

why has Pakistan managed to produce great bowlers and India great batsmen?

But not the other way around?

AaronK

State Regular
^ lol explain more..

So basically u r saying.. since they eat meat.. they know how to bowle fast? how to reverse swing the ball? How to bowle perfect in swinger or out swinger with good line and length..

I don't think so.. I am not sure how is cricket played in india in streets. but in pakistan it is mostly with Tennis bowle rapped with tape.. that really helps some of the young bowlers from the young age..it could be that reason..

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It's quite obviously dass\deira\dubai194\Mard\vastu shastra\etc. who always gets banned, comes back, is allowed to post for a while then makes another unacceptable post with his latest account and is banned again.

I've had reason to wonder whether that same duplicator is alexkumar\ alexkumar1\alexk\TruthTeller\PondFish\etc. before now but on balance have always thought it relatively unlikely, not least because no mod has ever found a shred of evidence to suggest so, including the one who actually first made the suggestion. There's definately similarities between them though, even if they're not the same person.

BTW "AaronK", my above post was completely and totally in jest and not in any way my thoughts, merely a parody on the known thoughts of another person. FTR, I myself am a vegetarian and have been since the age of 6, and can bowl miles better than, well, most meat-eaters in truth (given that most meat-eaters don't even try to play cricket; many if they did would be no-hopers).

asty80

School Boy/Girl Captain
Why is that all through out history Pakistan's bowling has always been strong and India's batting has always been strong?

why has Pakistan managed to produce great bowlers and India great batsmen?

But not the other way around?

One of the complex questions for which there is no definite answer..certainly a thing of intrigue.

A possible reason is as follows - using reverse engineering:

Since the bowling in Indian domestic cricket is weak as ALL levels, the batsmen are used to spending long amounts of time at the crease. When they make the transition to the highest level (someone like Gambhir) has to adjust to the superior bowling, but he already knows how to bat for long periods.

Since the reverse is true in Pak (pun intended), the batsmen there , in domestic cricket, are used to getting out anytime since the bowling is very strong at all levels. So they are not used to consistently batting for long periods.

So blame it on legacy.

subshakerz

International Coach
It wasn't always like that. When Pakistan started out, they were lucky to have Fazal Mahmood, the subcontinent's first worldclass pacer, but after he left, Pakistan relied mainly on their batting/spin until the mid-70s when Imran Khan came to the scene. Since then Pakistan's bowling has been consistently better than India with few exceptions. Pakistan and India both have produced worldclass spinners but when unless you have a Warne or Murali then pace matters more, especially outside the subcontinent.

Imran was an exceptional case, as the training and conditions in Pakistan taught him to be a medium pacer, and it was only through bowling in English counties, remodeling his action and aspiring to be like other great pacers that he transformed himself. He could easily have been one of innumerable subcontinent trundlers had he stuck to the same system.

Why does Pakistan continue to produce better pacers? I think it's a combination of a few reasons. Diet perhaps, and the fact that Pakistanis tend to play tape-ball cricket which helps in pace bowling more than a normal tennis ball. More than this, we are inspired by our biggest national heroes, so young Indians growing up would want to emulate Gavaskar and Tendulkar while Pakistanis growing up want to bowl pace like Imran, Wasim, Waqar and Shoaib. Indians of late look up to Wasim/Waqar as their role models, and the last few years we have seen better quality Indian pace bowling than ever in the 90s, Srinath aside.

Last edited:

James

Cricket Web Owner
Why, because Pakistanis eat meat and Indians are vegetarians obviously. 8-)
Out of curiosity, is this who we think it is???
It's quite obviously dass\deira\dubai194\Mard\vastu shastra\etc. who always gets banned, comes back, is allowed to post for a while then makes another unacceptable post with his latest account and is banned again.
This kind of posting isn't acceptable. You can quite easily be mistaken as has happened in the past and alienate a perfectly good poster in the process.

Report a post and let a moderator research it and come to a conclusion if you believe it to be a duplicate account.

Back to the topic at hand now please.

Xuhaib

International Coach
It wasn't always like that. When Pakistan started out, they were lucky to have Fazal Mahmood, the subcontinent's first worldclass pacer, but after he left, Pakistan relied mainly on their batting/spin until the mid-70s when Imran Khan came to the scene. Since then Pakistan's bowling has been consistently better than India with few exceptions. Pakistan and India both have produced worldclass spinners but when unless you have a Warne or Murali then pace matters more, especially outside the subcontinent.

Imran was an exceptional case, as the training and conditions in Pakistan taught him to be a medium pacer, and it was only through bowling in English counties, remodeling his action and aspiring to be like other great pacers that he transformed himself. He could easily have been one of innumerable subcontinent trundlers had he stuck to the same system.

Why does Pakistan continue to produce better pacers? I think it's a combination of a few reasons. Diet perhaps, and the fact that Pakistanis tend to play tape-ball cricket which helps in pace bowling more than a normal tennis ball. More than this, we are inspired by our biggest national heroes, so young Indians growing up would want to emulate Gavaskar and Tendulkar while Pakistanis growing up want to bowl pace like Imran, Wasim, Waqar and Shoaib. Indians of late look up to Wasim/Waqar as their role models, and the last few years we have seen better quality Indian pace bowling than ever in the 90s, Srinath aside.
Yup.

Naumaan

First Class Debutant
This kind of posting isn't acceptable. You can quite easily be mistaken as has happened in the past and alienate a perfectly good poster in the process.

Report a post and let a moderator research it and come to a conclusion if you believe it to be a duplicate account.

Back to the topic at hand now please.
why was he not banned for the joke? whereas i was banned for this thing???
isn't it inconsistancy??????????? :D:D:D

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member

TBF I'm not sufficiently bothered about the duplicator in question to be reporting posts - the above references were merely jokey passing ones.

If you'd prefer me not to make them though, obviously I won't.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member

The MRF pace foundation as well.

bagapath

International Captain
I dont agree with the thread starter's assumption here because obviously pakistan in the past had produced some all-time great batsmen in hanif mohammad, zaheer abbas, miandad, inzamam and saeed anwar with younis khan and mohammad yousuff still playing for them, india, on the other hand, has produced some great bowlers in subhash gupte, prasanna, bedi, chandra, kapil, kumble and harbhajan.

if there is a difference in the cricketing legacies of these countries it is that pakistan has produced more great fast bowlers (imran, akram, waqar and shoaib) than india (kapil).

so a more valid question would be why does pakistan produce more fast bowlers than india?

brackenNY

School Boy/Girl Captain
It's definitely due to who young Indian and Pakistanis idolize as they are growing up.

Indians have the likes of Tendulkar, Sehwag, Ganguly, Dhoni, etc to idolize and Pakistanis have Wasim, Waqar, Imran and Shoaib to try to emulate.

I don't think it's genetics. A lot of Pakistani greats are Punjabi and that's a group that's huge in India as well. Sindhis are also found in India. The only ones who aren't closely related to India are the Pathans, who are more related to Afghanistan. (which is why we may see Afghanistan become a good cricketing side in the future).

It's not diet, either. India has just as many Muslims as Pakistan does. They aren't vegetarian.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Indians have the likes of Tendulkar, Sehwag, Ganguly, Dhoni, etc to idolize and Pakistanis have Wasim, Waqar, Imran and Shoaib to try to emulate.
Actually these are the names that really make the Pak bowling and Ind batting strong. Anyone who idolized them as a kid has not done enough to make any kind of sweeping statement about talent trends in Ind/Pak.

brackenNY

School Boy/Girl Captain
Actually these are the names that really make the Pak bowling and Ind batting strong. Anyone who idolized them as a kid has not done enough to make any kind of sweeping statement about talent trends in Ind/Pak.
Dhoni and Sehwag idolized Tendulkar.

There's no doubt Shoaib idolized the W's.

Mohammad Aamer is basically a Wasim Akram clone attempt.

Last edited:

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I dont agree with the thread starter's assumption here because obviously pakistan in the past had produced some all-time great batsmen in hanif mohammad, zaheer abbas, miandad, inzamam and saeed anwar with younis khan and mohammad yousuff still playing for them, india, on the other hand, has produced some great bowlers in subhash gupte, prasanna, bedi, chandra, kapil, kumble and harbhajan.
Interesting. The quality of those Pakistani batsmen you list is, on the whole, miles ahead of the Indian bowlers you mention.

bagapath

International Captain
Interesting. The quality of those Pakistani batsmen you list is, on the whole, miles ahead of the Indian bowlers you mention.
I would say they are pretty even. even if the pak batting is stronger in comparison, mainly because of miandad, it is not "miles ahead" as you say. but anyways the point i was making was to question the main assumption of the thread topic. i guess you agree with me. how would you compare imran - wasim - waqar with gavaskar - tendulkar - dravid? i would say they are, once again, even.

Status
Not open for further replies.