Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Golden Matchups

Quote Originally Posted by subshakerz View Post
    Interesting, from what I remember Michael Clarke took 6/9 on that wicket. SF Barnes would be close to impossible to play on that. Barnes 8/10 over Bradman in that case.
    And a number of better bowlers ended up with worse figures than Clarke, not to mention Laxman and Tendulkar both making half centuries. It was a minefield of a pitch and Pup had a freakish day, but I don't think the result of Barnes v Bradman would necessarily be quite so clear cut.
    Member of the Twenty20 is Boring Society

Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    C'mon Man U.
    RIP Craigos

Global Moderator nightprowler10's Avatar
    Gavaskar vs McGrath.

RIP Craigos

Quote Originally Posted by bagapath View Post
    a ten test series would still be ten individual tests played one after the other. i would back my 50:50 prediction every time these two square up to face each other.
    Not likely. Id still give the edge (7-10/ to Imran. Simply put great fast bowler trumps great batsmen in most cases (unless that batsman happens to be the Don and Tendy is hardly the Don). And again Tendy never made any great fast bowler "cry mommy" in the way a Viv or a Sobers or a G Chappell did so its highly unlikely he'd do the same to the great Imran who could bowl on anything
    Last edited by MrIncredible; 07-10-2009 at 09:30 AM.

State Vice-Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by nightprowler10 View Post
    Gavaskar vs McGrath.

I would say McGrath 6/10. McGrath specialized is taking down the top dog of each team. The best way to counter McGrath would be to unsettle him with an attack, but Gavaskar would probably allow McGrath time to poke and prod his defense. Guys with a similar MO as Gavaskar like Kallis and Dravid weren't that hot against McGrath either.

Quote Originally Posted by MrIncredible View Post
    Not likely. Id still give the edge (7-10/ to Imran. Simply put great fast bowler trumps great batsmen in most cases (unless that batsman happens to be the Don and Tendy is hardly the Don). And again Tendy never made any great fast bowler "cry mommy" in the way a Viv or a Sobers or a G Chappell did so its highly unlikely he'd do the same to the great Imran who could bowl on anything
    Have they both faced off in any game already? I think it is very likely since Imran played in the 92 WC and Tendulkar debuted in 89. I am a statsguru noob so would appreciate anybody who can dig up some Khan Vs Sachin stats.

State Vice-Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by metallics2006 View Post
    Have they both faced off in any game already? I think it is very likely since Imran played in the 92 WC and Tendulkar debuted in 89. I am a statsguru noob so would appreciate anybody who can dig up some Khan Vs Sachin stats.
    They played against each other in the 89 series when Tendulkar debuted (Tendulkar averaged in the mid-30s). But that really doesn't represent a good sample given that Imran was past his best and was a part-time bowler while Tendulkar was just starting out.

Liking this here thread.
    Lara vs Tiger Bill O'Reilly
    on an SCG pitch 1989 (the one that Border took 11fer vs WI).
    Btw anybody see that game or remember watching it on Tv?

Yep, remember watching that live on TV - incredible match, one of those games where everything AB bowled either took a wicket or looked like it would. IIRC he also got 75 in Australia's first innings and an unbeaten 15-20 in the second making it one of the greatest ever all round performances by an Australian in a Test match.

It was the same match too where Marshall took something like 5-28 off 30 overs, an extraordinary performance which largely got lost in the shadow of AB's deeds.

Quote Originally Posted by The Sean View Post
    Yep, remember watching that live on TV - incredible match, one of those games where everything AB bowled either took a wicket or looked like it would. IIRC he also got 75 in Australia's first innings and an unbeaten 15-20 in the second making it one of the greatest ever all round performances by an Australian in a Test match.

It was the same match too where Marshall took something like 5-28 off 30 overs, an extraordinary performance which largely got lost in the shadow of AB's deeds.
    You right he took 11/96 and scored a fighting 70 odd.

Brb searching for it on Youtube.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    I get the feeling that Border would have easily handled Akhtar.
    AWTA. Akthar would have his head handed to him.

Also think Hadlee would be well on top of Hayden, though there would be a substantial difference pending the conditions. If it was played on some of the flatter pitches in Australia in recent times, Hayden would have a good chance imo, as there is little or no swing. But I couldn't see him dominating Hadlee. I imagine he'd be playing him with the utmost respect (as he should).
    In other conditions more suited to bowlers, I believe Hadlee would make a meal of Haydos, but then again in bowler-friendly conditions he'd make a meal of most anyone.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

International Vice-Captain bagapath's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MrIncredible View Post
    Imran who could bowl on anything
    one chink in his armor was the lack of a great out swinger. he developed a good leg cutter in the later half of his career that kept him on top despite the inevitable drop in pace due to age. but his wicket taking delivery was always the one that came in to the right hander. in the chapter on viv richards in his auto biog imran himself echoes this observation. dont get me wrong. i think imran is one of the greatest fast bowlers of all-time. but i consider marshall and hadlee to be the finished products.

International Vice-Captain Faisal1985's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by subshakerz View Post
    Akram 7/10. Dhoni would do pretty well to block him or score singles, but if he tries to demolish Akram he ends up in the hands of mid-off or mid-on.
    I think Akram will do great against him. Why? Because Dhoni will be troubled from the one that comes back in to the righty...and Akram had mighty control on that at good pace......
    BE AFRIDI!
    Be VERY AFRIDI!!

Akram would dominate Dhoni surely when the ball swings no doubt. But in the middle overs when the ball does not swing, Dhoni would just rotate the strike with singles easily and would score at about 4 an over off his bowling without taking risks. If Dhoni tries to attack him from ball one, he is a goner. If he attacks him after being well set, he has a 40% chance of being successful imo. So, Akram 6/10 in dead tracks, 9/10 in swinging conditions.

State Vice-Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by metallics2006 View Post
    Akram would dominate Dhoni surely when the ball swings no doubt. But in the middle overs when the ball does not swing, Dhoni would just rotate the strike with singles easily and would score at about 4 an over off his bowling without taking risks. If Dhoni tries to attack him from ball one, he is a goner. If he attacks him after being well set, he has a 40% chance of being successful imo. So, Akram 6/10 in dead tracks, 9/10 in swinging conditions.
    Agreed. Dhoni is a pretty smart cricketer and would realize that attacking Akram, especially from the outset, may be too big a challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by bagapath View Post
    one chink in his armor was the lack of a great out swinger. he developed a good leg cutter in the later half of his career that kept him on top despite the inevitable drop in pace due to age. but his wicket taking delivery was always the one that came in to the right hander. in the chapter on viv richards in his auto biog imran himself echoes this observation. dont get me wrong. i think imran is one of the greatest fast bowlers of all-time. but i consider marshall and hadlee to be the finished products.
    Dont get it twisted Bag, i dont want u to think i am picking on Tendy, Like i said against ne of the top rung fast bowlers Im goin to give that bowler the edge over a top rung batsman unless that batsman is the Don.

Incidentally, I'd also give similar odds to many of the modern greats (Kallis, DRavid, Lara not Ponting though)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information