• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Golden Matchups

bagapath

International Captain
Are u talking about a single test or an entire series? Because i can hardly recall a time when Sachin made ne great fast bowler "cry mommy" for an entire series.
a ten test series would still be ten individual tests played one after the other. i would back my 50:50 prediction every time these two square up to face each other.

Last edited:

thierry henry

International Coach
paddles was anyway well above pollock's pace. so no stepping out business for mr. hayden. he will have to stay put in crease and he will succumb to his own dodgy back foot play.
Nonsense.

Prime Hadlee simply was not quick.

Like McGrath, Pollock, or Vaas, he belonged in the "fast enough to usually succeed" category.

And btw, many of the mediocre bowlers Hayden "stepped out to" were substantially faster than Pollock/McGrath. As I said, above 140kph was probably the cut-off.

Pollock, as a prime example, was a fine bowler, but exactly the sort of bowler Hayden loved to hammer. McGrath and Hadlee would've been in the same category.

Last edited:

bagapath

International Captain
Nonsense.

Prime Hadlee simply was not quick.

Like McGrath, Pollock, or Vaas, he belonged in the "fast enough to usually succeed" category.
i completely disagree and i am leaving it at that.

Actually I am not leaving it at that.

I do remember Hadlee being significantly faster than Pollock,/ McGrath/ Vaas types., He was no Lillee/ Marshall/ Holding. But he was in the Akram league in terms of pace for the majority of his career. He might have slowed down a bit after 19856-86 but by then he had crossed 300 wickets already and most of his career was behind him. Also, he didnt become that slow for him to be remembered as a medium pacer. Even cricinfo lists Hadlee as Right-arm fast. So I know I am not imagining all of this.

And btw, many of the mediocre bowlers Hayden "stepped out to" were substantially faster than Pollock/McGrath. As I said, above 140kph was probably the cut-off.

Pollock, as a prime example, was a fine bowler, but exactly the sort of bowler Hayden loved to hammer. McGrath and Hadlee would've been in the same category.
Pollock was "fine" but Hadlee was great. he was as accurate as McGrath but faster. Hadlee was definitely better than Pollock overall. Even for argument's sake if you want to bunch them in the same category in terms of pace (I wouldn't agree but still...) pace alone doesnt determine whether the batter can succeed in stepping out to you. Pollock relied on seam (as did McGrath). Hadlee was a master of swing as well. I dont think a batsman with a faulty backfoot technique could have handled Hadlee very easily. I admit I was trying to be nasty in giving Hayden 0.5 out of 10 in facing Paddles. In all honesty it would be around 0.6. Okay. Okay. Enough mucking around. I would give 3 to Hayden and 7 to Hadlee.

Last edited:

0RI0N

State 12th Man
SF Barnes vs DG Bradman
on the pitch that was used for the 4th Border Gavaskar Test 2004.

bagapath

International Captain
SF Barnes vs DG Bradman
on the pitch that was used for the 4th Border Gavaskar Test 2004.
DG Bradman b SF Barnes 33

Bradman would score only a third of his usual share of runs per innings. Barnes would concede twice as much for the wicket than his career average; even stevens but moral victory for Barnes.

0RI0N

State 12th Man

Bradman would score only a third of his usual share of runs per innings. Barnes would concede twice as much for the wicket than his career average; even stevens but moral victory for Barnes.
I'd go with that Bagapath.
Barnes was a real Dr. Wily plus that Mumbai wicket was a brute but I'm sure the Don would have scored a few.
Great thread btw.

subshakerz

International Coach

Interesting, from what I remember Michael Clarke took 6/9 on that wicket. SF Barnes would be close to impossible to play on that. Barnes 8/10 over Bradman in that case.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Interesting, from what I remember Michael Clarke took 6/9 on that wicket. SF Barnes would be close to impossible to play on that. Barnes 8/10 over Bradman in that case.
And a number of better bowlers ended up with worse figures than Clarke, not to mention Laxman and Tendulkar both making half centuries. It was a minefield of a pitch and Pup had a freakish day, but I don't think the result of Barnes v Bradman would necessarily be quite so clear cut.

MrIncredible

U19 Cricketer
a ten test series would still be ten individual tests played one after the other. i would back my 50:50 prediction every time these two square up to face each other.
Not likely. Id still give the edge (7-10/ to Imran. Simply put great fast bowler trumps great batsmen in most cases (unless that batsman happens to be the Don and Tendy is hardly the Don). And again Tendy never made any great fast bowler "cry mommy" in the way a Viv or a Sobers or a G Chappell did so its highly unlikely he'd do the same to the great Imran who could bowl on anything

Last edited:

subshakerz

International Coach
Gavaskar vs McGrath.

:sleep:
I would say McGrath 6/10. McGrath specialized is taking down the top dog of each team. The best way to counter McGrath would be to unsettle him with an attack, but Gavaskar would probably allow McGrath time to poke and prod his defense. Guys with a similar MO as Gavaskar like Kallis and Dravid weren't that hot against McGrath either.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Not likely. Id still give the edge (7-10/ to Imran. Simply put great fast bowler trumps great batsmen in most cases (unless that batsman happens to be the Don and Tendy is hardly the Don). And again Tendy never made any great fast bowler "cry mommy" in the way a Viv or a Sobers or a G Chappell did so its highly unlikely he'd do the same to the great Imran who could bowl on anything
Have they both faced off in any game already? I think it is very likely since Imran played in the 92 WC and Tendulkar debuted in 89. I am a statsguru noob so would appreciate anybody who can dig up some Khan Vs Sachin stats.

subshakerz

International Coach
Have they both faced off in any game already? I think it is very likely since Imran played in the 92 WC and Tendulkar debuted in 89. I am a statsguru noob so would appreciate anybody who can dig up some Khan Vs Sachin stats.
They played against each other in the 89 series when Tendulkar debuted (Tendulkar averaged in the mid-30s). But that really doesn't represent a good sample given that Imran was past his best and was a part-time bowler while Tendulkar was just starting out.

0RI0N

State 12th Man
Liking this here thread.
Lara vs Tiger Bill O'Reilly
on an SCG pitch 1989 (the one that Border took 11fer vs WI).
Btw anybody see that game or remember watching it on Tv?

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Yep, remember watching that live on TV - incredible match, one of those games where everything AB bowled either took a wicket or looked like it would. IIRC he also got 75 in Australia's first innings and an unbeaten 15-20 in the second making it one of the greatest ever all round performances by an Australian in a Test match.

It was the same match too where Marshall took something like 5-28 off 30 overs, an extraordinary performance which largely got lost in the shadow of AB's deeds.

0RI0N

State 12th Man
Yep, remember watching that live on TV - incredible match, one of those games where everything AB bowled either took a wicket or looked like it would. IIRC he also got 75 in Australia's first innings and an unbeaten 15-20 in the second making it one of the greatest ever all round performances by an Australian in a Test match.

It was the same match too where Marshall took something like 5-28 off 30 overs, an extraordinary performance which largely got lost in the shadow of AB's deeds.
You right he took 11/96 and scored a fighting 70 odd.

Brb searching for it on Youtube.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I get the feeling that Border would have easily handled Akhtar.
AWTA. Akthar would have his head handed to him.

Also think Hadlee would be well on top of Hayden, though there would be a substantial difference pending the conditions. If it was played on some of the flatter pitches in Australia in recent times, Hayden would have a good chance imo, as there is little or no swing. But I couldn't see him dominating Hadlee. I imagine he'd be playing him with the utmost respect (as he should).
In other conditions more suited to bowlers, I believe Hadlee would make a meal of Haydos, but then again in bowler-friendly conditions he'd make a meal of most anyone.