• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mohammad Yousuf technique?

SaeedAnwar

U19 Debutant
I just rewatched his 87 against India the other day and I really think he has one of the best shot making techniques in the world. The way he plays his cut shots is just remarkable and a beauty to watch.

Its a shame he is not rated as highly as he should be.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
The reason he is not rated as highly as he should be is because he doesnt score as consistently as he should be against top quality teams overseas.
I agree with you, he has amazing technique no doubt...but to be really rated among the greats, you have to have match winning performances consistently against top quality oppositions..In Yousuf's time, the two best teams are perhaps South Africa and Australia and Yousuf has an above average record at best in South Africa and Australia.
He had a huge 06-07 season but most of those matches were played in the subcontinent. He had one series against South Africa and did not manage a century although he was at his best form. Its the same reason why another Pakistani great Inzamam ul Haq will not perhaps be regarded as one of the top 5 batsmen of his time because despite his immense talent and great performances...when it came to facing the best bowling attacks in overseas conditions...he also has an above average record..infact Inzamam despite scoring 25 centuries has no centuries against South Africa, let alone a match winning one.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
And he flopped against the best spinner of the era (i.e. Murali). Averages 25 odd when Murali plays in SL team.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The reason he is not rated as highly as he should be is because he doesnt score as consistently as he should be against top quality teams overseas.
I agree with you, he has amazing technique no doubt...but to be really rated among the greats, you have to have match winning performances consistently against top quality oppositions..
Ind33d. No-one doubts Yousuf's technique, just his skill.

Just about all he's ever done is bash crap bowling on non-seaming (and often non-turning) decks. He's miles behind the Hanifs, lnzamams, Javeds, Younis Khans etc. In my book Yousuf is a decent, middle-of-the-road Test batsman and no more.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
A wonderful player to watch. And you don't break the world record for run-scoring in a calendar year without being a very high quality player.