Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: How come cricket is not spreading to other countries?

Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pothas View Post
    Phil (my old housemate) was awful for this, as you may know from the few times you met him he asks questions about EVERYTHING even when he is not in slightest bit interested. The amount of questions I have had to answer was nausiating. I remember my mum took a German woman who she worked with to a test match once, apparently she loved it although had no idea what was going on, kept asking why the batsman were not running around the edge of the field when they ran.
    Haha, only really met him once I think, and at that time seemed totally disinterested in talking, so perhaps on that occasion I was spared. I love it when people who know nothing are really enthusiastic about it though, it somehow makes your own experience of watching it that much more enjoyable, one of the ways in which sport is unique in bringing people together I would suggest. Much better than the people who take an interest around a peak time (Ashes 05) and then think they immediately know everything about the sport, those sorts are far worse, but fortunately once the hype dies down they fade away or generally become proper fans and develop their knowledge.

International Vice-Captain Jungle Jumbo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Something I always find with people who do not understand, but happen to come into the room or whatever when you are watching it, is how when they ask you "Who is winning?", and quite often when you can't really split it, you just give an answer along the lines of "er,.....not really sure at the moment". And they just look totally perplexed by the whole thing.
    Yeah I think we all get this a lot. Even more so when my sister walks in, sees that the score is 5 for one, and says something along the lines of "this lot can't be much good, the batsmen must be terrible if they go out so quickly." Usually ends with me saying that there's a real possibility the team could be 150 for one within 30 overs.
    Fred Tetanus likes this.

Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Jumbo View Post
    Yeah I think we all get this a lot. Even more so when my sister walks in, sees that the score is 5 for one, and says something along the lines of "this lot can't be much good, the batsmen must be terrible if they go out so quickly." Usually ends with me saying that there's a real possibility the team could be 150 for one within 30 overs.
    I would usually do that, but such a response usually provokes another question along the lines of "what's an over?".

International Vice-Captain Jungle Jumbo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I would usually do that, but such a response usually provokes another question along the lines of "what's an over?".
    Think I've got past that stage, luckily. The scoring system is quite unique though. Even in baseball, the teams have multiple innings so it is fairly easy to track which team has the advantage (although one of the reasons I find baseball so difficult to enjoy is how quickly the scoreline can change, so that a 3-0 lead looks safe but can be blown away in minutes).
    Fred Tetanus likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Jumbo View Post
    Think I've got past that stage, luckily. The scoring system is quite unique though. Even in baseball, the teams have multiple innings so it is fairly easy to track which team has the advantage (although one of the reasons I find baseball so difficult to enjoy is how quickly the scoreline can change, so that a 3-0 lead looks safe but can be blown away in minutes).
    I've never much liked Baseball, because to me it just seems like glorified rounders, and as a bat and ball game I have not been able to identify any appealing features that are not already offered by cricket. That said, as I mentioned earlier, I didn't much like Cricket till I actually sat down and took notice of it, so perhaps the same thing could happen with baseball. I personally doubt it would, and I don't really have the time to offer it anyway. That said, I recently have really picked up an interest in NFL, something that I always thought of as being stupid, but nowadays find it very entertaining.

Cricketer Of The Year Black_Warrior's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zabajk View Post
    Why is it that cricket has not taken off in the rest of the world and its only strongholds are the same Test-playing nations that have been playing for decades? Even the newest Test-playing nation, Bangladesh, was actually holding Test matches back in the 50s as East Pakistan. Compare it to baseball, soccer/football, basketball, rugby, etc and it's just pathetic. I used to think it was the money but cricket actually pays well, nowadays. We do see teams like Canada, Netherlands, and Hong Kong participate in some tournaments but they are mostly filled up of expatriates from other cricket playing countries.

Obviously, the future of cricket is healthy with close to 1.5 billion people (rough estimate) in South Asia but it makes the game only a regional sport. It's not even in the Olympics, though it appears in 2020 it will be.

Is it the game itself? I know cricket's detractors consider it boring, too complex and not the most athletic of sports. Or is it the way the ICC is handling the spread of the game? Does T20 make the game more appealing? Are those mostly American sports listed above spreading due to the high profile of American athletes and their professional leagues? Obviously, baseball and cricket are too similar and there's really no room for cricket in baseball playing countries. But Europe is not a baseball playing continent, though it may frown upon an English sport.
    There are a couple of factors in my view. Firstly, the idea of comparing different kinds of sports just because they all fall in the category of sports if flawed. Its as silly as comparing Sachin Tendulkar with Wasim Akram just because they both happen to be cricketers.
    Before the advent of T20, cricket at its shortest still went on for over 8 hours. Now people are only getting busier every day, and in the small opening for recreation an individual's life, cricket is not only competing with other shorter sports like football and tennis but also with 2 hour movies, tv shows, reality shows etc etc. A bit difficult isnt it?

Secondly, and this is purely based on the various conversations I have had with non cricket followers when trying to promote cricket to them, I have found cricket to be a much more complex game. I have had to explain why there are two batsmen running in the middle of a pitch when only one of them plays a shot and thats not even what is complicated with cricket. As a result, cricket by its very nature is going to have less "mass appeal" than a 90 minute game of football.

The other aspect that discourages people is the fact that after 5 grueling days of cricket, there is no guarantee of a result. I have had people ask me why they would invest 5 days of their lives and money with no guarantee of a result?

The solution? its simple. We have to understand that cricket is not meant to have a massive following all over the world like football. Attempts to shorten it and make it "more" exciting by introducing T20 cricket might work to a certain extent in terms of the financial aspect but I doubt any of these new fans will be convinced to become fans of Test cricket of even 50 overs. So many of these new fans will be liking cricket for qualities that not necessarily ingrained in other formats of the game.

Cricket has massive following in South Asia, enjoys decent popularity in Australia, South Africa and England and I think we should be content with that.
    Another example I would use to complete point is that of music. There are various kinds of music, classical, pop, rock, metal, r&b, rap, jazz, trance etc etc. Each has created its own audience and enjoys its following within that audience. A Guns & Roses album is not competing with a Rihanna album. They enjoy their success with their own audiences!
    "This is a clash of strategy. And of methods, culture and politics. This is a new-era rivalry. Not as ancient as the Ashes, or as passionate as India-Pakistan. Two countries that are so different, yet share rampant egotism, high self-opinion and a belief that being born in their country is superior to other births. This brings together a belligerent bunch of brats, bullies and braggers."- Jarrod Kimber

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Johnners's Avatar
    As has been said before, cricket being a much more complex game than most other sports, along with the time factor (The shortest form of Cricket still goes longer than your average football match) is the crux of the issue imo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Mitch Johnson is ****ing awesome for cricket.
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Ponting's ability to ton up in the first innings of a series should not be understated. So much pressure, so important. What a great!

International Captain
    You have to look at vehicles.
    Well IPL and 20/20 world cup as well as the world cup are the best vehicles.
    But when you consider ipl is watched by a majority of indians at 96%,there seems little hope.
    The growth of cricket will be incremental and slow.
    Afghanistan is the major boon if they respond well get them into test cricket quick.

Its all about world cups.

Once the t20 world cup starts to take off other countries will want to be involved.

the rugby world cup of 87 had 7-9 automatic entries, the rest were purely invited to make a comp of 16 teams. In the tournament there were big blow outs. over time there is now a qualification system however there is still big hidings. NZ vs Portugal 108 - 13 as example.

I think cricket has to accept some of these blow outs as well... its normal and part in parcel of giving teams the chance to dance with the big boys.

hell Australia in the 2007 football world cup probably should have gone further than they did, if it hadn't been for a late penalty to Italy ...
    Fred Tetanus likes this.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    Words cannot describe how strongly I disagree with this.
    You can disagree, but that's the way it is. Yes, your own case is different, but the number of people like you are tiny. That is well established. The overwhelming number of cricket fans are people who've grown-up with the game because their parents (usually fathers, of course) are fans and\or players. They don't neccessarily have to have been into it from the age of 6 or whatever as I was, but it'll have been there and thereabouts, then they'll gradually fall under the spell.

There's heaps of research out there that's been done on the matter.

Cricket's great challenge is to try to draw in, in large quantities, people who are already relatively grown. It may be impossible - it's something it's been unable to do for centuries. Other games are miles, miles better; and, of course, have much more of a mass-market to the very young as well.
    Fred Tetanus likes this.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    Have you not seen their flag?
    I have, but I always think it's Australia's.
    Fred Tetanus likes this.

lockie ferguson should get a side gig with brazzers
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I have, but I always think it's Australia's.
    Stabby stabby rip stab

Would like a new flag in all honesty, but still..
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

Cricketer Of The Year Black_Warrior's Avatar
    You can disagree, but that's the way it is. Yes, your own case is different, but the number of people like you are tiny. That is well established. The overwhelming number of cricket fans are people who've grown-up with the game because their parents (usually fathers, of course) are fans and\or players. They don't neccessarily have to have been into it from the age of 6 or whatever as I was, but it'll have been there and thereabouts, then they'll gradually fall under the spell.

Cricket's great challenge is to try to draw in, in large quantities, people who are already relatively grown. It may be impossible - it's something it's been unable to do for centuries. Other games are miles, miles better; and, of course, have much more of a mass-market to the very young as well.
    Umm what kind of research? I dont mean to be rude but its just that I find that a bit hard to agree with. I have seen a lot of people who been drawn into the game at a much later stage in their lives...some of them even had the opportunity to do so at a much earlier stage in their lives but did not find it interesting then.

International Captain
    I think michel divineuto should play for italy once he retires from durham.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Sauce!?

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information