Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 121
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: How come cricket is not spreading to other countries?

  1. #16
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    .
    Posts
    30,078
    Quote Originally Posted by Scaly piscine View Post
    Don't see why Ireland could never be good enough to challenge. They've a very good youth setup and their players have access to regular county cricket. The thing that's slowing their progress is England taking their best players. Ireland like England potentially have a bigger pool of players that qualify for them, as their status increases you may find that Ireland take in a few genuine quality imports (as opposed to the substandard ones they have filling out their side)
    Spot on, Scaly.

  2. #17
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    .
    Posts
    30,078
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Jumbo View Post
    For me, the smaller the sport, the more the reason for some sort of historical or cultural ties to the country involved - there must be some reason for the sport's existence in the country in question in the first place. Sure, cricket may be well suited to a laidback Provencal lifestyle in southern France (for a hypothetical example), but while pastimes such as cycling and pétanque exist, there is no reason to invest the time and money into playing an alien, expensive sport, that requires another 21 enthusiasts and adequate facilities to render it worth playing. I don't think the degree to which the sport is closely linked with its English and imperial heritage can be underestimated.
    This is absolutely true too. Cricket has a stuffy, upper-class image throughout Europe. And most of us find the whole business of aristocracy, royalty, posh accents and tea and crumpets pretentious and repulsive, so it's a shame that cricket's become a part of that.

  3. #18
    International Vice-Captain Jungle Jumbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    England
    Posts
    4,898
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    This is absolutely true too. Cricket has a stuffy, upper-class image throughout Europe. And most of us find the whole business of aristocracy, royalty, posh accents and tea and crumpets pretentious and repulsive, so it's a shame that cricket's become a part of that.
    Oh yes, I'm far from saying that this is an entirely positive aspect of the sport. Until very recently, world cricket still revolved around a Victorian organisation in the form of the MCC, unlike FIFA wich from the start was a genuine global body (possibly too global, cf. Blatter and his votes from minor national associations). The rise of the subcontinent as a major economic power has shifted the goalposts, so to speak and only with the IPL has much of the stuffiness really been removed.

    However for many people (and I'd subscribe to this view, with qualifications) the roots of the game in English village/public school/county cricket and the Victorian values that are still manifest in the game are the essence of cricket. There is also the artistic aspect of the sport (think I remember a thread on here titled something like 'Cricket - Sport or Art') which for me represents the biggest (but by no means overwhelming) argument against Twenty20. At the same time, the game must acknowledge that the days of the MCC and England's hegemony are over and cricket should not be restrictive.

    Bit OT, but I guess I'm saying that cricket's spread, or lack of it, must take into account it's unique nature, but not be restricted too tightly by it.
    Fred Tetanus likes this.

  4. #19
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    .
    Posts
    30,078
    Interesting post.

    I don't personally think the cultural aspect of cricket in England will ever be under threat from Twenty20. People have been playing 20-over games on a village green on a sunny afternoon in June for years, and it's not going to stop just because someone on the other side of the world is playing the same game in a packed stadium filled with Indian fans.


  5. #20
    Spanish_Vicente sledger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.
    Posts
    47,470
    Quote Originally Posted by zabajk View Post
    I don't think you are correct. Basketball's global now, it's HUGE in Europe and South America. Look at how teams like Turkey, Argentina and Spain have good teams, perform well in global competitions and have players in the NBA.

    Baseball's really popular in Latin America, the Caribbean and Japan.

    Only sport to fail is American football.
    I'd disagree actually, NFL is a lot more popular (certainly in the UK) than it is given credit for. Much more popular than Baseball at any rate.

  6. #21
    Spanish_Vicente sledger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.
    Posts
    47,470
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    Words cannot describe how strongly I disagree with this.
    Yeah I would also disgaree. Though I was still "young" when I got into cricket, I really did not like it at all until around the age of 15-16. As such I can see why at a young age people would not like it and then realise there is a of appeal in the sport and start liking it as they get older. That's obviously not to say there are not people out there who like cricket from a very young age, as there obviously are.

  7. #22
    Hall of Fame Member Pothas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Brum
    Posts
    16,113
    Will always remember your conversion to cricket at around that age, I believe that I had been telling you it was the greatest sport in the world for a number of years by that point.

    Cricket's image has always been a problem and an attraction to me, of course a lot of the idea of cricket as gentelmanly victorian sport is a load of rubbish and its past is just as complicated as any other sport. I have also never been sure if I like the image cricket has or not, I hate much of the things it stands for but I am also part of it, I certainly love the unique atmosphere cricket has if not everything its culture stands for.

  8. #23
    Spanish_Vicente sledger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.
    Posts
    47,470
    Quote Originally Posted by Pothas View Post
    Will always remember your conversion to cricket at around that age, I believe that I had been telling you it was the greatest sport in the world for a number of years by that point.

    Cricket's image has always been a problem and an attraction to me, of course a lot of the idea of cricket as gentelmanly victorian sport is a load of rubbish and its past is just as complicated as any other sport. I have also never been sure if I like the image cricket has or not, I hate much of the things it stands for but I am also part of it, I certainly love the unique atmosphere cricket has if not everything its culture stands for.
    Haha yeah I remember it well. I remember thinking that going to watch a live cricket match would be one of the dullest things imaginable at one point, and then things started to change drastically.

    I remember when I was very young I always found it a very dull and uninteresing game, though a lot of that may be through not understanding the rules and how it was played. As I used to play in Goal for Kingsclere I always really enjoyed watching the fielding on display, but was never much interested in the batting or bowling, watching the wicket keepers take diving catches was the only bit I enjoyed. I can actually pinpoint the moment where it all changed, I remember just turning on the TV one morning and watching Vikram Solanki getting his ODI hundred against South Africa, and he instantly became one of my favourite players and I immediately started enjoying it. The test series that followed was great as well, so my interest just grew and grew.

    I think I can identify the reason(s) for me not liking Cricket up to that point, were down to the fact that it's wasn't the easiest sport to get into as a young kid, as you need a certain amount of equipment/people to play, and a decent area in which to do so. As prior to me going to secondary school I had never even picked up a bat in my life before my interest was minimal. Once you did Cricket in PE you learnt about general technique and the basic rules, but I found from that I didn't really take much enjoyment, neither did I really learn much at all at what the game was all about. In fact were it not for the fact that you (Pothas) were a fan, chances are I would have never have really developed my interest in it at all. I imagine I am not the only one to have taken a similar route into liking the game, and I imagine there are several others who would take the same path and end up not liking it whatsoever, so I can see why the growth of the sport would struggle in some cases.

  9. #24
    Hall of Fame Member Pothas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Brum
    Posts
    16,113
    Yeah cricket unlike football can easily pass you by in primary school, my Dad loves the game so it was always around me when I grew up and I cannot remember a time when I did not love it but that is not the case for the majority. I personally love the fact that so many people are bemused by cricket, my Greek firend who is staying with us at the moment is utterly confused by the whole thing, he loves that I like it though for some reason.

  10. #25
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    .
    Posts
    30,078
    I started liking it very gradually. It's a repulsive sport to the uninitiated, every one of my good friends in Belfast hates it despite barely having watched it for a moment in their life, and when I was a little kid I was more or less the same. I wouldn't have called myself a cricket fan at all until I was about 16.

    Before I knew it I was wondering how I'd manage to watch Australia-India at 2am when I had school the next day.

    Football I fell in love with the moment I saw it, I've no idea what age I was, I was so young I have no memories of that time.
    Last edited by Uppercut; 28-09-2009 at 03:11 PM.

  11. #26
    International Vice-Captain Jungle Jumbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    England
    Posts
    4,898
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    Interesting post.

    I don't personally think the cultural aspect of cricket in England will ever be under threat from Twenty20. People have been playing 20-over games on a village green on a sunny afternoon in June for years, and it's not going to stop just because someone on the other side of the world is playing the same game in a packed stadium filled with Indian fans.
    Meant more the values that underpin the game or the 'essence' (sorry to be a bit vague about it) would be erroded by the game of Twenty20 at a high level, especially the IPL and its $$$, sponsors, win-at-all-costs attitude etc. The village game in England will continue regardless of what happens, but is richer for assimilating the game at its highest level.
    Fred Tetanus likes this.

  12. #27
    Spanish_Vicente sledger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.
    Posts
    47,470
    Quote Originally Posted by Pothas View Post
    Yeah cricket unlike football can easily pass you by in primary school, my Dad loves the game so it was always around me when I grew up and I cannot remember a time when I did not love it but that is not the case for the majority. I personally love the fact that so many people are bemused by cricket, my Greek firend who is staying with us at the moment is utterly confused by the whole thing, he loves that I like it though for some reason.
    Something I always find with people who do not understand, but happen to come into the room or whatever when you are watching it, is how when they ask you "Who is winning?", and quite often when you can't really split it, you just give an answer along the lines of "er,.....not really sure at the moment". And they just look totally perplexed by the whole thing.

  13. #28
    Spanish_Vicente sledger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.
    Posts
    47,470
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    I started liking it very gradually. It's a repulsive sport to the uninitiated, every one of my good friends in Belfast hates it despite barely having watched it for a moment in their life, and when I was a little kid I was more or less the same. I wouldn't have called myself a cricket fan at all until I was about 16.

    Before I knew it I was wondering how I'd manage to watch Australia-India at 2am when I had school the next day.

    Football I fell in love with the moment I saw it, I've no idea what age I was, I was so young I have no memories of that time.
    I actually didn't. The first match I can remember watching was the FA Cup final between Man Utd and Liverpool, a terrible terrible match, which turned me off from football for the immediate time after that. I started liking football around Euro 96, though I was quite familiar with the famous players etc... already. It was the Seaman penalty save against Scotland and then the one against Spain which really grabbed my attention, as with Solanki, Seaman instantly became my favourite player at the time, and remained there till his retirement, just a shame his behaviour away from football leaves a bit to be desired.

  14. #29
    Hall of Fame Member Pothas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Brum
    Posts
    16,113
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Something I always find with people who do not understand, but happen to come into the room or whatever when you are watching it, is how when they ask you "Who is winning?", and quite often when you can't really split it, you just give an answer along the lines of "er,.....not really sure at the moment". And they just look totally perplexed by the whole thing.
    Phil (my old housemate) was awful for this, as you may know from the few times you met him he asks questions about EVERYTHING even when he is not in slightest bit interested. The amount of questions I have had to answer was nausiating. I remember my mum took a German woman who she worked with to a test match once, apparently she loved it although had no idea what was going on, kept asking why the batsman were not running around the edge of the field when they ran.

  15. #30
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    .
    Posts
    30,078
    Haha, I avoid conversation on cricket altogether with friends. There are friends-of-friends who I've been seeing and talking to regularly for months and months without them ever having the slightest idea that I like cricket. My real friends kinda forget that I do most of the time. Maybe that's why I post so much here.

    But when someone makes the mistake of bringing it up I rant and rant and rant about it. And I know I'm boring the pants off them, and they're going to hate me forever as a result, but I can't help it. I just can't stop.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. The Animals Did Not Mind The Cricket
    By zaremba in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 25-02-2012, 07:10 AM
  2. Posting League table
    By chris.hinton in forum Site Discussion
    Replies: 116
    Last Post: 05-10-2009, 06:58 PM
  3. *Official* Season XIII Discussion and Results
    By Mr Mxyzptlk in forum CW Development League
    Replies: 1779
    Last Post: 05-04-2008, 09:44 PM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 26-09-2007, 01:44 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •