• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* UK off-season 2009/10

chris.hinton

International Captain
Well Davies, Batty, Ali have gone and Stephen Moore wants a move away.. and we get Alan Richardson in from Middlesex... it looks like Worcester will be in the bottom half of Division two for a couple of years but we still have Solanki, Smith, Mason so it not all bad

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ali has not gone quite yet, has agreed a deal with Hampshire but Worcestershire are still holding out for the £60,000 compensation, think it is one that will go on all winter.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
What is it about Hampshire and signing disaffected players who want to buy-out their contracts? Crawley, Pietersen, Kabir Ali...

Wonder if this acrimony will do for Kabir Ali as it did for Crawley? (IE grab the selectors' attention again)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Not likely.

Steve Crook has been released by Northants. Andrew Crook left the Northants playing staff last season. He scored 1,200 runs at 70+ in league cricket in 2009.

There has been interest in both of them from other counties but I don't think a return to Northants is particularly likely.

Steve Crook also has interests outside cricket: his band Juliet the Sun released their single, "Time For Heroes", on Monday. According to trusted source The Sun (no relation), it inspired the England team to victory in the Ashes. The video is online here.
Steve Crook has been released by Northants. Andrew Crook left the Northants playing staff last season and I think took up a coaching or development role of some sort at Northants. In 2009 he played for Woodhall Spa in Lincs Premier League cricket, scoring 1,126 runs at 70+ and taking 42 wickets at 22. There has been interest in both of them from other counties but I don't think a cricketing return to Northants is particularly likely just now.

Steve Crook also has interests outside cricket: his band Juliet the Sun released their single, "Time For Heroes", on Monday. The video is online here. According to trusted source The Sun, the song inspired the England team to victory in the Ashes.
I see. Sometimes I wonder where people get all this information from.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Mullaney has signed a 2 year deal with Notts. Can't see him getting a game in their championship side, but their OD side was a bit of a mess this year so he should be in with a shout there

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Lancs have signed Steven Moore...should have a solid opening partnership next year with Moore and Horton, good start to build from

Woodster

International Captain
Lancs have signed Steven Moore...should have a solid opening partnership next year with Moore and Horton, good start to build from
Decent opening partrship, however, the Manchester Evening News today suggested that Horton may drop down to number 3 and Moore will slip in alongside Tom Smith. Not sure that'd be the right option.

analyst

U19 12th Man
Hampshire have one of the best domestic bowling attacks to pick from in recent seasons if everyone is fit. Simon Jones, Kabir Ali, Dominic Cork, Dimi Mascherenas, Tahir, Tremlett, I am sure they have a couple of other options too. And with the batting firing last season, it looks like they could put up a decent title challenge.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hampshire have one of the best domestic bowling attacks to pick from in recent seasons if everyone is fit. Simon Jones, Kabir Ali, Dominic Cork, Dimi Mascherenas, Tahir, Tremlett, I am sure they have a couple of other options too. And with the batting firing last season, it looks like they could put up a decent title challenge.
They have Mendis next year rather than Tahir.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
And fitting all those bowlers in would leave space for 4 batsmen and a keeper.

Besides, has Kabir actually signed?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Something of a shame to see that exodus from Worcestershire, but indeed that should be a strong combo.

Anna

International Vice-Captain
Decent opening partrship, however, the Manchester Evening News today suggested that Horton may drop down to number 3 and Moore will slip in alongside Tom Smith. Not sure that'd be the right option.
I'd slip in alongside Tom Smith :naughty:

Ha, sorry :D

Anyway, no news on any Warwickshire signings yet. They could really do with a couple more spinners as one of the 2nd teamers has gone, which (as far as I can remember) only leaves Ant Botha in the 1st team & Paul Best in the 2nds. There may be more youngsters coming through but Boats could do with a bit of senior support next year!

Somerset have a surfeit of spinners, maybe they could share?

Anna

International Vice-Captain
Sorry GIMH, couldn't help myself :D

With regards to Hoggie, Warwickshire need a bowling coach......

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
hoggard released by yorkshire.
That's truly extraordinary. Beginning to wonder if he's turned into a bitter old man, seeing as so many parties who were once so fond of him are now deciding they don't want him any more despite there quite clearly being few to no better options.