• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* UK off-season 2009/10

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Lol, it's done like the Brownlow isn't it? Seem to remember he had a couple of performances which would have been BOG and not much else. Wasn't exactly crap though.

Anyway seems like Smith might be going to Perth to play this off season, maybe the Horton effect.

Also rumoured Mal Loye will return to Northants next season
Each umpire gives a 3-2-1, so you can get a maximum of six votes. He did well in some washouts, where only one week was played so he got votes for SFA.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Oh and apparently we are heavily chasing Stephen Moore. Would welcome that, Moore & Horton would be a very good opening partnership.

And lol at the headline from Lancs website about next years new comp
The Netherlands, Scotland and an England & Wales Recreational Game team will join the 18 counties in next year's ECB one-over domestic competition.
Hahahahahaha.

Pre-empting the crazes for Ten10 and Five5 there.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
I hope they're not going to call them the England and Wales Recreational Game XI. Minor Counties XI will do nicely, thankyou.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Be good if all of van der Wath, Boje and Hall have to go back to SA. Think they're all history as far as the ICL is concerned, so can only presume they'll be welcome back now. Nonetheless, don't imagine a top-order batsman is going to be much help in replacing three quality all-rounders.

Wonder if those Australians the Crooks will start playing for Northants again regular like now.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
other interesting news from Lancs. We have signed Gary Montgomery

He's been playing for the seconds the latter part of the year and did well, presumably why we signed him (he's a seam bowler). But the interesting part is he is 26, and he's a former professional keeper with Grimsby, Rotherham and Coventry.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Lawson was very lucky to get another contract after being released by Yorkshire who frankly expended far too much on him. But if Richard Dawson can keep finding another county, I'd not be surprised if he does the same.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Confirmed

BBC SPORT | Cricket | Counties | Lancashire | Loye leaves Lancs for Northants

good luck to Mal, we got some good years out of him and after a terrible year last year (mostly his back problems) he came back well this year.
Yeah, always good to see someone manage to come back from a shocker of a season in their mid-30s, because it almost always gets the near-certain reactions from a large number of quarters that one bad season at that age means you're finished. Full credit to Loye for showing he wasn't, though surely he can't go on for much longer?

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
part of the reason for leaving was Lancs only wanted to offer a 1 year contract and i think he has got 2 years at Northants

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
If this strike goes on much longer Wavell Hinds now has to be regarded as a serious possibility to return to the West Indies team.
Hinds is one of the leading members of WIPA. He was VP before he joined Derbyshire and is still very much involved. So his international career is pretty much over.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Jason Lewry has retired from Sussex. There's an interesting article from the Argus here.

On his England chances:

“If I had been good enough I would have played. I felt I had the ability but I would never have been strong enough to cope with the pressure of stepping up to the next level. I don’t like travelling or being away from home for long – Manchester is long enough away for me. I found my level at Sussex and was happy with that.”

He took 621 FC wickets @ 27.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Is James Kirtley still under contract Mr Z? - can't imagine he's going to be around much next season - looks like there may be a few changes at Hove