• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* UK off-season 2009/10

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Tremlett in talks with Surrey. Career over.
Is probably over anyway to be fair, be a shame to see him leave but if he wants to go and play (be injured) in division 2 then that is his choice, Brown did the same last year and that worked out rather well for us.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Is probably over anyway to be fair, be a shame to see him leave but if he wants to go and play (be injured) in division 2 then that is his choice, Brown did the same last year and that worked out rather well for us.
I'd be willing to flex with Tremlett getting back into the test set-up if he has a excellent DIV 2 season TBF (even thoug DIV 2 is crap), given he is defiantely real international quality.

Last edited:

Scaly piscine

Hampshire have got Mendis as well of course

The whole Kabir saga is still ongoing, don’t get me wrong I would like to see us get him but don’t really like the way it is unfolding with him now refusing to train with Worcestershire.

If we do get him which is still a big if then we have a potential bowling line-up of a Jones, Tremlett, Kabir, Mendis and Dimi with Corky (and a few others) in reserve and young Briggs (and maybe Dawson) providing spin options as well. reserve which is even better then Durham but I would be pleasantly surprised if those players ever played in the side together let along on a regular basis. In truth we will probably be a rather short on pace attack again so think avoiding relegation and doing well in limited overs stuff will probably be the main aim again. Most important thing though is our young players; Bromsgrove and co have done really well in making us a constantly good county but it is now time for us to really bring our own players through and three players being with under 19’s is excellent testament to how they are trying to do this. Hoping to see Dawson, Vince, Riazuddin and Briggs (who I am especially hopeful for) progressing this year

Err what's better than Durham?

Pothas

Err what's better than Durham?
not sure why the word 'reserve' was floating in there, guess I re-wrote the sentance and just left in there by mistake.

Was saying that a bowling atack of Simon Jones, Tremlett, Kabir Ali, Dimi and Mendis is probably as good if not better thah Durham's attack. Obviously that is not going to happen given the fact that Tremlett is probably going to leave and given the long term fitness problems of both him and Jones it was unlikely to happen anyway. Still it was a nice thought, given how poor our pace attack was last year.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I'd say there's no way that attack would be better than Durham's first choice attack (aside possibly from the spinner)

Pothas

It is all hyopthetical of course and a lot would depend on Mendis, if he is in the sort of form we saw at the start of his test career then that makes a huge difference,

Durham might have the slight edge when it comes to the pace attack but not by a great deal.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Aside from all 3 of Harmison, Onions and Davies being comfortably better than all of the Hampshire bowlers (except for a fully fit Jones) you mean?

Pothas

Aside from all 3 of Harmison, Onions and Davies being comfortably better than all of the Hampshire bowlers (except for a fully fit Jones) you mean?
A fully fit Simon Jones is easily as good as any of them.

I would say a fully fit Tremlett is on about the same level as Onions to be honest, certainly if you take their careers as a whole.

Davies obviously has an amazing record but we won't go into him or we will get some unwelcome atention from a certain poster.

Kabir Ali is probably about as good as Plunkett as well.

Have said from the start though that this was hypothetical as the chances of having Tremlett and Jones at full fitness is about as likely as Scaly calling Anderson the best bowler in the world and Henry his favourite footballer.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Ye i'm serious son. We know what Tremlett can do, just need him to prove he play & full season & take wickets. Our back-up aint that ATM, where we can wait for him & Surrey to get back into DIV 1 & him to repeat a potential DIV 2 successful season.

A top bowling season for Surrey & he should be on the plane to Australia.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
A fully fit Simon Jones is easily as good as any of them.

I would say a fully fit Tremlett is on about the same level as Onions to be honest, certainly if you take their careers as a whole.

Davies obviously has an amazing record but we won't go into him or we will get some unwelcome atention from a certain poster.

Have said from the start though that this was hypothetical as the chances of having Tremlett and Jones at full fitness is about as likely as Scaly calling Anderson the best bowler in the world and Henry his favourite footballer.
I did concede the Jones point, but would still take any of Harmison, Davies or Onions ahead of any of the others, and if Kabir is only about as good as Durham's 4th best seamer then surely it's no contest?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Kabir's currently miles ahead of Plunkett and indeed most bowlers in the country.

How many other bowlers up and down the country have played very much cricket and have sub-27 First-Class averages? Not many.

Pothas

Kabir's currently miles ahead of Plunkett and indeed most bowlers in the country.

How many other bowlers up and down the country have played very much cricket and have sub-27 First-Class averages? Not many.
If you take there whole careers then yeah Kabir is quite a bit better, was just factoring in that Plunkett had an excellent season last year and Kabir hardly played.