• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* UK off-season 2009/10

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
As for the pitch, yes it can lack pace but it does tend to take spin, and given our dearth of seamers I would expect some effort to be put into preparing a series of turning decks. We now have Monty, Beer, Rayner, Nash, Hamilton-Brown, and (yes, yes, I know) Yardy all of whom bowl various sorts of hittable rubbish spin.
I'd be somewhat disappointed if special effort was made to aid most of those, as most are what I'd call not much crack. MSP certainly always has retained potential and Beer, well, all hope is not lost yet as he's 19-20 years old even if he's hardly had an auspicious start, but the rest... ugh. Nonetheless, if it is - and you're right that the old Lewry-Kirtley-RMJ triumvarate is now a World away - then yes MSP has the chance to cash-in.
More broadly, in terms of building up his confidence and resuscitating his career, it could well work. Nurturing environment, intelligent management, family club, good relationship with new mentor Mushy, a fresh start.
Good job Northants don't have fans, I'd expect some scandalised comments else. Certainly all those sorts of things should be helpful, but if the decks don't turn, no amount of benefiting from them should enable him to have a great deal of success.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
There's a rumour that Sussex have signed James Anyon from Warwickshire. Anyone know anything about him? His first class record looks pretty ugly.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I was hoping sincerely that he'd not find another county because he's just so far below county standard it's embarrassing.

Like Chris Whelan, Gareth Andrew, Chris Wright, Mark Turner etc. though, he just keeps being picked-up and given more and more chances. It's depressing that the county game seriously can't do any better than these.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
I was hoping sincerely that he'd not find another county because he's just so far below county standard it's embarrassing.

Like Chris Whelan, Gareth Andrew, Chris Wright, Mark Turner etc. though, he just keeps being picked-up and given more and more chances. It's depressing that the county game seriously can't do any better than these.
I think that Chris Wright has a bright future ahead of him and is, most certainly, County standard, these days.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Sussex must have seen something in Anyon that they like - he may do a Masters or a Murtagh or, from an earlier era, a Neal Radford

Pothas

Richard has his own greater concept of humanity which sees further than the petty interests of the individual, people just don't know what it is good for them, kind of like a Bolshevik really.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well yes, it's his livelihood, but the important thing is that undeserved runs after a let-off due to a dropped catch are not scored.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Sussex must have seen something in Anyon that they like - he may do a Masters or a Murtagh or, from an earlier era, a Neal Radford
David Masters was never anywhere near that bad, he always showed glimpses of the extreme accuracy he's demonstrated in recent seasons; Murtagh meanwhile wasn't great but was certainly never anywhere near as bad as Anyon, Andrew et al.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Humanity really does course through your veins sometimes doesn't it?
Not entirely sure what you mean by humanity given use in that context, but if you mean along the lines of "compassion", I fail to see how it's in anyone's best interests to be trying and trying to make it in a career they've no hope with because they're simply not good enough.

Also the interests of the game come before those of any one individual for mine.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Not entirely sure what you mean by humanity given use in that context, but if you mean along the lines of "compassion", I fail to see how it's in anyone's best interests to be trying and trying to make it in a career they've no hope with because they're simply not good enough.

Also the interests of the game come before those of any one individual for mine.
I mean humanity in the sense of the sort of trait which makes some people not express a wish for an immediate termination of someone else's career in their chosen profession. I'm sorry to say this because you contribute so much to this forum but I can't think of anyone else here that would have expressed that sentiment and then tried to defend it.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I mean humanity in the sense of the sort of trait which makes some people not express a wish for an immediate termination of someone else's career in their chosen profession. I'm sorry to say this because you contribute so much to this forum but I can't think of anyone else here that would have expressed that sentiment and then tried to defend it.
As I say - "it's for their own good" sounds horribly patronising, but that's pretty much the only way to put it.

Seriously, who wants to see cricketers who are eons short of county standard being continually given contracts? I just don't understand it. Yes, cricketers are humans first-and-foremost but they're also players in the game and I don't know too many people who don't make the claim that the game is bigger than any one individual.

Jarquis

I don't quite understand how they're not county standard if they're being offered contracts by counties to play cricket :confused:

fredfertang

I don't quite understand how they're not county standard if they're being offered contracts by counties to play cricket :confused:
An excellent question - it all depends whether you are putting the cart before the horse or the horse before the cart, as it were

I trust that's cleared that one up :ph34r: