• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* UK off-season 2009/10

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I hope Yardy rolls his arm over a fair bit so once again donkey can get outperformed by a weak past international bits and pieces player.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yardy being one of the worst excuses for a spinner I've ever seen in county cricket I doubt that somewhat.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Scaly I did you a disservice by forgetting about Yardy.

Come on then, place the following four players in order of how much you despise them:

Yardy
Prior
Wright
Panesar

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Monty did take four wickets in an innings for the Lions, in quick succession to mount a fourth day victory hunt. So, he is not completely useless in First Class cricket, as the past few seasons may have shown.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
BTW I can't help feeling that this move to Sussex may well be a disastrous one for MSP. Granted, I did think the same thing might well be true for Graeme Swann, but the fact that leaving the club that plays at the only consistently spin-friendly venue on the First-Class circuit worked-out for one fingerspinner doesn't mean it's likely to for another.

I do have to worry though that England will continue to pick him regardless.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Scaly I did you a disservice by forgetting about Yardy.

Come on then, place the following four players in order of how much you despise them:

Yardy
Prior
Wright
Panesar
Don't have anything against Wright particularly.

Panesar is #1, Prior #2 and Yardy #3

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
He could find less spin-friendly surfaces than Hove tbf.
Well, maybe, but seriously - 2 (for instance) spin-friendly decks a season as opposed to 0 (which you for instance might find at Headingley, Taunton or The Oval) isn't a great deal to say.

If as a fingerspinner you were looking for a good career move, Sussex would be quite low on the priorities list I'd think.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Well, maybe, but seriously - 2 (for instance) spin-friendly decks a season as opposed to 0 (which you for instance might find at Headingley, Taunton or The Oval) isn't a great deal to say.

If as a fingerspinner you were looking for a good career move, Sussex would be quite low on the priorities list I'd think.
As for the pitch, yes it can lack pace but it does tend to take spin, and given our dearth of seamers I would expect some effort to be put into preparing a series of turning decks. We now have Monty, Beer, Rayner, Nash, Hamilton-Brown, and (yes, yes, I know) Yardy all of whom bowl various sorts of hittable rubbish spin.

More broadly, in terms of building up his confidence and resuscitating his career, it could well work. Nurturing environment, intelligent management, family club, good relationship with new mentor Mushy, a fresh start.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Shakib has signed for Worcestershire for the second half of the season, after the Bangladesh tour. Should be a fantastic signing both for them and for him.