• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* UK off-season 2009/10

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
In all seriousness Powell will not do a bad job for Lancashire, he is a good FC bowler and the standard in the County Championship is not that high.

He failed terribly in Test cricket, but he did pretty well in ODI's and has always been effective at FC level. He did a good job for Hampshire during his brief stint there.

Jungle Jumbo

He may succeed (emphasis on the 'may' there). But even if he's one of our best performers, there's still a whole truckload of overseas pros who could do even better. If he takes 60 wickets at 20, I'll be convinced. If not, VVS would be much better.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yeah, don't think anyone's suggesting Powell is a complete waste of space and akin to signing, for example, Chris Whelan, but the point is as overseas-players go it's possible to do so much better. There's precious little point importing players not of a reasonable quality IMO.

Woodster

International Captain
It's a bit of a risk-signing, we all know that at his best, Daren Powell can be a very effective player for Lancashire, however, the gamble lies in that he has looked an absolute shadow of his former self in recent times when representing West Indies. Admittedly it's at a much higher standard, but not only had he appeared to lose his pace and wicket-taking threat, but he had also lost any accuracy, which was never really his major strong point.

Obviously 'kolpak' signings are generally under more scrutiny, as they are seen as taking the positions of England qualified players, however, they are more accepted when they bring something to the side much more than just an averagely decent season. Powell must impress for this gamble to be seen as worthwhile, and not simply see it as a way of earning some extra cash!

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
By signing him it probably means we will lose one of our younger seam bowlers if not now at the end of next season. If we have to play Powell, with Mahmood and Chapple that means only one place for Hogg, Cheetham, Smith and Newby. Would be devo if Smith was forced out ofthe side by Powell's arrival.

Plus we need batsmen badly.

Jungle Jumbo

Depends how long Chapple is going to last though. We don't really want to have to loan players from Derbyshire again...

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Depends how long Chapple is going to last though. We don't really want to have to loan players from Derbyshire again...
Would rather loan players from Derbyshire when there is an injury crisis who plays one or two games then misses out when people are fit again (we had like 5 or 6 seamers unavailable) than sign a guy who is probably going to play and keep a home grown player out for the whole of the season.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I suppose if you look at it from the "Pushy out - Monty in" perspective the negativity is understandable but long term I still believe Monty has what it takes to be a decent bowler, at least at county level, if he's handled sympathetically, so it may be a good move for both

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Let's hope so.

There were actually some whisperings about Pushy's character - "immature and a bit of a princess" they whispered - so I don't think there are as many tears being shed over his departure as would otherwise be the case.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Also, Will Jefferson has signed with Leicestershire.

And Tony Frost has retired....again.

Who knows which Kolpaks are leaving next season? Obviously Langeveldt and McLaren are gone, but who else?

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
The rumour is that Monty has signed for Sussex - to be announced in the next few days. I've very mixed feelings about it. However last time we signed a Monty from Northants it worked out pretty well.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Genuine question, because I CBA thinking the answer through and am sure Mr. z can answer it for me far more promptly - when was the last time a fingerspinner had a sustained successful career playing most of his cricket for Sussex?

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
The only names which spring to mind since WW2 are John Barclay and Robin Marlar. I'm probably missing someone obvious though.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Alan Oakman and Ken Suttle in the 50's and 60's though both were primarily batsman - Chris Waller of a later vintage wasn't bad but there certainly haven't been many

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
The rumour is that Monty has signed for Sussex - to be announced in the next few days. I've very mixed feelings about it. However last time we signed a Monty from Northants it worked out pretty well.
The rumour was correct. Sussex have today confirmed signing Monty on a 3-year deal.

I have a horrible feeling that Scaly's 3 least favourite players now play for my team. Luckily I expect that he will continue to regard them with his usual genial benevolence...