• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Younis khan the great???????????

Naumaan

First Class Debutant
"When I leave, I want to leave behind some bowlers, some batsmen, and a team that can stand for itself, like Steve Waugh did, or Imran Khan did"

that's what he said in an interview for cricinfo, i remember people made fun of him when he retired from T20, by following the tradition of imean khan :D

sirdj

State Vice-Captain
quite an attention seeker but seems like a top bloke all around.
Compared to Inzy I guess anyone could be called an attention seeker, but I remember the earlier Pak captains Wasim, Latif, Moin, Miandad & Imran used to be pretty chatty with the press or appeared to be chatty.
I would say that Akhtar should be the standard for an attention seeker. Anybody less than him is OK.
I like Younis, but I get the feeling that he isn't much liked by the team. This is just my opinion based on body language on the pitch.

Naumaan

First Class Debutant
Compared to Inzy I guess anyone could be called an attention seeker, but I remember the earlier Pak captains Wasim, Latif, Moin, Miandad & Imran used to be pretty chatty with the press or appeared to be chatty.
I would say that Akhtar should be the standard for an attention seeker. Anybody less than him is OK.
I like Younis, but I get the feeling that he isn't much liked by the team. This is just my opinion based on body language on the pitch.
i don't think so, he's personally liked by all but his captaincy can be questioned

Naumaan

First Class Debutant
but Younis does have big dreams, beating Australia in Australia, Beating south africa in south africa, winning world cup & this year's champions trophy
that's really is a big big big ask

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Younis Khan seems a decent enough egg in my book and certainly one of the best Pakistani batsmen ever. Just such a shame he's lost so much of his prime years to the turmoil Pakistan has been in of late.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Some of the Comments here are Harsh. YK was responding to a question

"How would you like to be remembered as a captain? "

I think he spoke his mind.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
My abiding memory of Younis Khan will, I fear, be of that wonderful delivery Monty bowled him with at Headingley in 2006 - I say I fear 'cos I can't see Monty touching those heights again

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Not unusual around that time for it to take such a delivery to dismiss Younis TBH.

My abiding memory of him will, naturally, always be his straight drive off Cork in the First Test in 2001, because he held the pose for so long Cork mimed a camera-snap at him. Younis wasn't even particularly good at that point and Cork bowled him with a straight ball that didn't move an iota not long afterwards, but that tour was a time when he gave early demonstration of his potential.

Naumaan

First Class Debutant
well what can u guys say of this memory
He wasn't getting the single to complete 300
what he did next?
Reverse Swept Murali to reach 300 :D

sirdj

State Vice-Captain
i don't think so, he's personally liked by all but his captaincy can be questioned
Questioning his captaincy means not liking him. I mean who is better suited to be the pakistani captain right now? Its not as if he has taken a job that should belong to someone else.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Don't know the chap but (a) I love the flourish in his batting, he looks like a real attacker from the golden age and (b) he gives the appearance of being a real character

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
You described his batting very well, Zaremba. There is a definite attacking style to his batting with a flourish of the unorthodox which is a treat to watch. Classic and pleasurable to look at.

Last edited:

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
oh well..he just spoke his mind..there is nothing wrong with it.. He might not acheive that and that has little to do with his own ability but the fact that Pakistan is simply not producing the Wasims, Anwars and Inzys anymore!