• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ponting's post-Ashes interview in SMH

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Couple of interesting tidbits here.

Finally, time to reflect for Ponting - Cricket - Sport - smh.com.au

''They [his successes as captain] are the sort of things that aren't spoken about much. A lot at the moment is talking about things that haven't been as successful.

''I can't change that, all I can do is give myself the best chance and the team the best chance to win games of cricket. I will continue to do that, and hopefully with the group we've got, in the next 18 months to two years we are going to be right up there to win a lot of games and, who knows, I might be remembered as that guy who built this team to where it is as well.''

On the reaction at home:
''I had this feeling within myself that it might have been the other way, 'How did you lose that?' or 'What went wrong?'. [But] everybody I bumped into wanted to congratulate the team on the way they played and conducted themselves. That made it easier to deal with.'' Lucky he didn't run into me tbh.

This loss compared with 2005:
''This was different to 2005 - which was really shattering. That side we had, to lose that series was really shattering. This time, yes, I was very disappointed we weren't good enough but this should really hold us in good stead for the future. There is no doubt that a lot of the young guys that have played in the last 12 to 18 months are showing the cricketing world they've got what it takes to be very good international players.

''You'll see Phil Hughes, you'll see Shane Watson, you'll see [Peter] Siddle, [Mitchell] Johnson, [Ben] Hilfenhaus, those guys playing in teams that are going to win a lot of Tests.''

Proud of the team:
''I thought all the guys stood up at different times. I thought Siddle and Johnson showed a lot to fight their way back into the series the way they did. Hilfenhaus was the bowler we all thought he would be in these conditions, he was the pick of our bowlers. Clarke and North were the pick of our batters.''

Last edited:

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't reckon the Aussies should be too worried about their team looking forward. Their quick bowling especially looks very promising. And they do have spin options, Hauritz I think has been very impressive, with a very good temperament. The batting does look a bit dodgy however, but a future of Clarke, North, Watson, Hughes is far from disasterous.

Ponting himself... well, what a great ambassador for Australian cricket he was this summer.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
''I had 10 or 12 days at home, I had the opportunity there to think about the series. The thing that made me feel good when I got home was how people from the public would come up and say, 'Well done'.

Interesting to see that expectations have changed.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
''They [his successes as captain] are the sort of things that aren't spoken about much. A lot at the moment is talking about things that haven't been as successful.

''I can't change that, all I can do is give myself the best chance and the team the best chance to win games of cricket. I will continue to do that, and hopefully with the group we've got, in the next 18 months to two years we are going to be right up there to win a lot of games and, who knows, I might be remembered as that guy who built this team to where it is as well.''

Ricky Ponting, yesterday

"I am big, it's the tests that got small"

Redbacks

International Captain
''I had 10 or 12 days at home, I had the opportunity there to think about the series. The thing that made me feel good when I got home was how people from the public would come up and say, 'Well done'.

Interesting to see that expectations have changed.
Think he was boarding at an English Backpackers :blink:

Redbacks

International Captain
I'd Say Mitch 'Harmy' Johnson is one **** test at home away from being turfed. Massive technical deficiencies will not hold up at test level