• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Young Players

Andre

International Regular
Who are the up-and-coming young players around the world.
In Australia, the best of the crop is
Shane Watson: already selected at national level, many suggest he will be our best allrounder since keith miller
Cameron White: Good allrounder, but at the moment bowles his leggies to quickly to trouble the selectors
Nathan Hauritz: Best offie Australia has produced since Ashley Mallet - enough said
Michael Clarke: Only a matter of tme before he takes the next step up
Others include James Hopes, Xavier Doherty, Scoot Meuleman, Sean Clingeleffer and Paul Rofe

James

Cricket Web Owner
New Zealand is probably:

* Butler - already seen in the international game but is still very raw. Hadlee does like the look of him though
* McCullum - future wicketkeeper for New Zealand. Talk of him being wicketkeeper at next years world cup.
* Papps - up and coming top order batsman. Making lots of runs in domestic cricket
* Pasupati - very talented cricketer. In the Adams mold really. Future one-day player.
* Cornelius - useful cricketer. In his first season but is impressing a lot of people.

I can't think of anyone else at the moment.

G

England have got a few.

Mark Wagh (no, not Waugh)
Alex Tudor
Matthew Hoggard
Ryan Sidebottom
James Ormond
Martin Lumb

I know they ain't as good as Australia's or New Zealand's, but they're O.K.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Another Aussie newcomer who I think will make a big mark and is earmarked for bigger things is a guy from Tassie called Shannon Tubb. If the Aussie selectors take a bit of a risk with him, we'll have a world-class left-arm chinaman bowler.

Mitchell Johnson from Queensland apparently is rated quicker than Brett Lee was at the same age. He's injury-prone, though. Apparently off 5 paces with stress fractures in his back just rolling his arm over, he got clocked at 138km/h. Now that's quick!

And I agree with Andre's other; Shane Watson looks pretty bloody good but comparing him to Keith Miller is a bit unfair. He's much more technically correct with the bat and way more consistent with the ball. He may not be as explosive but give him time and I reckon he'll make Miller's record look pretty orinary in comparison.

Nathan Hauritz looks like a good offie. The accuracy of a Glenn Mcgrath with the turn of Tim May. That's gotta help! Plus, Xavier Doherty gives the ball a decent rip and flights it a lot. He's a pretty attacking bowler.

As a guy who's played against Paul Rofe, I can tell you this guy can BOWL. Give it time when he steps up in pace a little and he'll have as meteoric a rise as Jason Gillespie. Similarly built (maybe even thinner.......), similar in pace at the same stage in their careers with a similar trajectory, he'll be an Aussieplayer soon I'm sure.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I'll disagree with Pasupati & Papps, I don't think Pasupati will play for NZ and Papps has made some good runs but has been poor in between.

The top guys coming through are:

Brent Hefford
Rob Nicol
Brendon McCullum

I can't really see too many others at the moment, Warren McSkimming is good, but he's injured at the moment.

James

Cricket Web Owner
I think we will see him in the NZ side in a couple of years. I think he really is a very talented cricketer.

Butler! Yeah right he's in form :laugh:! The selectors call him fast yet he doesn't even reach 135k!

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
England have got a few.

Mark Wagh (no, not Waugh)
Alex Tudor
Matthew Hoggard
Ryan Sidebottom
James Ormond
Martin Lumb

I know they ain't as good as Australia's or New Zealand's, but they're O.K.
Ian Bell (for some reason he got a Test call up today...), Pratt of Durham, and a lot of players with names which aren't English. I managed to get the score cards mixed up in the England-WI test U19 this summer. Ah Well...

And watch Nepal for outsiders to reach a World Cup by 2010. Wonder what I could get on that?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Bell got a call up because the selector's are finally realising that the likes of Afzaal, Ward and Crawley etc. will not make it, so they're going for the next generation, and as he's only 19, but was in the top 15 averages in England last summer, they're giving him a go - don't think he'll actually play in a Test though.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I think it's great that the youngsters are getting their chances... but I do believe that the selectors should take more notice of the county game when they pick the teams. Fulton hit four 200s last season and in 1999 Rob Turner averaged 58.5 and kept wicket for Somerset. But not even 'A' tours...

If they played for Surrey they'd have 30 caps each by now.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I'd have to disagree there - Turner will always be behind Stewart as Stewart is a proven performer at the highest level, and that was Fulton's first decent season ever, and he's now 30 - there's no way he IMO deserves a call-up at that age ahead of an up and coming batsman described by onlookers at the World Cup as the best player in that age band in a generation.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I think players should be picked on form more, having someone with their 'eye in' who is in the form of their life is surely better than someone 'better' who's out of form.

And Stewart hasn't produced the goods with the bat for some time now!

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I am fully aware of that, but is there more chance of a lesser player in form producing the goods than a 'better' player out of form. I believe that form comes before class in the short run so teams should be picked on this basis

Anon2

U19 Cricketer
Crawley's been around for some time now. You can hardly class him as a young player, can you?

Yeah, I forgot about Pratt. Another one I thought of is that Steve Kirby at Yorkshire.

Kimbo

International Debutant
one thing i will say is that Pasupati sure can catch..
don't forget Joseph Yovich, looks pretty classy to me