Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Young Players

Young Players

Who are the up-and-coming young players around the world.
    In Australia, the best of the crop is
    Shane Watson: already selected at national level, many suggest he will be our best allrounder since keith miller
    Cameron White: Good allrounder, but at the moment bowles his leggies to quickly to trouble the selectors
    Nathan Hauritz: Best offie Australia has produced since Ashley Mallet - enough said
    Michael Clarke: Only a matter of tme before he takes the next step up
    Others include James Hopes, Xavier Doherty, Scoot Meuleman, Sean Clingeleffer and Paul Rofe

New Zealand is probably:

* Butler - already seen in the international game but is still very raw. Hadlee does like the look of him though
    * McCullum - future wicketkeeper for New Zealand. Talk of him being wicketkeeper at next years world cup.
    * Papps - up and coming top order batsman. Making lots of runs in domestic cricket
    * Pasupati - very talented cricketer. In the Adams mold really. Future one-day player.
    * Cornelius - useful cricketer. In his first season but is impressing a lot of people.

I can't think of anyone else at the moment.

England have got a few.

Mark Wagh (no, not Waugh)
    Alex Tudor
    Matthew Hoggard
    Ryan Sidebottom
    James Ormond
    Martin Lumb

I know they ain't as good as Australia's or New Zealand's, but they're O.K.

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    pasupati!!

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Another Aussie newcomer who I think will make a big mark and is earmarked for bigger things is a guy from Tassie called Shannon Tubb. If the Aussie selectors take a bit of a risk with him, we'll have a world-class left-arm chinaman bowler.

Mitchell Johnson from Queensland apparently is rated quicker than Brett Lee was at the same age. He's injury-prone, though. Apparently off 5 paces with stress fractures in his back just rolling his arm over, he got clocked at 138km/h. Now that's quick!

And I agree with Andre's other; Shane Watson looks pretty bloody good but comparing him to Keith Miller is a bit unfair. He's much more technically correct with the bat and way more consistent with the ball. He may not be as explosive but give him time and I reckon he'll make Miller's record look pretty orinary in comparison.

Nathan Hauritz looks like a good offie. The accuracy of a Glenn Mcgrath with the turn of Tim May. That's gotta help! Plus, Xavier Doherty gives the ball a decent rip and flights it a lot. He's a pretty attacking bowler.

As a guy who's played against Paul Rofe, I can tell you this guy can BOWL. Give it time when he steps up in pace a little and he'll have as meteoric a rise as Jason Gillespie. Similarly built (maybe even thinner.......), similar in pace at the same stage in their careers with a similar trajectory, he'll be an Aussieplayer soon I'm sure.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Tim
    I'll disagree with Pasupati & Papps, I don't think Pasupati will play for NZ and Papps has made some good runs but has been poor in between.

The top guys coming through are:

Brent Hefford
    Rob Nicol
    Brendon McCullum

I can't really see too many others at the moment, Warren McSkimming is good, but he's injured at the moment.

i would never agree with pasupati butler is in fine form

I think we will see him in the NZ side in a couple of years. I think he really is a very talented cricketer.

Butler! Yeah right he's in form ! The selectors call him fast yet he doesn't even reach 135k!

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    England have got a few.

Mark Wagh (no, not Waugh)
    Alex Tudor
    Matthew Hoggard
    Ryan Sidebottom
    James Ormond
    Martin Lumb

I know they ain't as good as Australia's or New Zealand's, but they're O.K.
    Ian Bell (for some reason he got a Test call up today...), Pratt of Durham, and a lot of players with names which aren't English. I managed to get the score cards mixed up in the England-WI test U19 this summer. Ah Well...

And watch Nepal for outsiders to reach a World Cup by 2010. Wonder what I could get on that?
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Bell got a call up because the selector's are finally realising that the likes of Afzaal, Ward and Crawley etc. will not make it, so they're going for the next generation, and as he's only 19, but was in the top 15 averages in England last summer, they're giving him a go - don't think he'll actually play in a Test though.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

I think it's great that the youngsters are getting their chances... but I do believe that the selectors should take more notice of the county game when they pick the teams. Fulton hit four 200s last season and in 1999 Rob Turner averaged 58.5 and kept wicket for Somerset. But not even 'A' tours...

If they played for Surrey they'd have 30 caps each by now.

I'd have to disagree there - Turner will always be behind Stewart as Stewart is a proven performer at the highest level, and that was Fulton's first decent season ever, and he's now 30 - there's no way he IMO deserves a call-up at that age ahead of an up and coming batsman described by onlookers at the World Cup as the best player in that age band in a generation.

I think players should be picked on form more, having someone with their 'eye in' who is in the form of their life is surely better than someone 'better' who's out of form.

And Stewart hasn't produced the goods with the bat for some time now!

yeah but james i never said he was fast

Neil,

Class is permanent, form is temporary.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information