Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Three divisions article

School Boy/Girl Captain

Three divisions article

I've written an article on the improvements I feel could be made to England if the County Championship were to be further split. Its in the England feature article( I would provide a link if i knew how) and I would welcome considered comment/discussion on my ideas.

International Regular chris.hinton's Avatar
    I agree with you this would mean a better chance for these players to be at there best

International Captain
    The idea isn't to bad but it has two major flaws that really stop me from liking it.

1 - You say that the fact that teams only have 4-5 quality players and that is unacceptable... Well IMO it would make English cricket rather dull for the 2 lower divisions if all the stars went and played for the Division 1 sides (most already complain about a Surrey bias), which god knows what happens when the England squad is announced as most of Division 1 would dissapear :rolleyes:

2 - As a result of the above, it would just be a matter of time before the Divison 2 and 3 teams go out of business due to being unable to attract the fans as they all just want to go see the Div 1 sides, considering they already strugle with the "unacceptable" amount of 4-5 quality players that they current have.

You want to pay a quick look at the World Club Cricket forum, currently there is a mass debate going on about this issue and it has casued untold problems between just 30 mangers.

Cricket Web Staff Member luckyeddie's Avatar
    Target Champion! Stuarts Xtreme Skateboarding Champion!
    It would be the end of county cricket as we know it.

There are two possibilities - if all the top players gravitate to the division 1 sides and it is those same players which make up the test side, what do you do at the end of the season? Do you relegate the bottom club? And suppose they were only bottom because 5 of them hardly played in the championship because of international callups?

What then? What happens to those players? Do they go to the other counties or do they stay at the original (now division 2) team?

The only sides which would eventually survive would be Middlesex, Surrey, Lancs, Yorks, Notts and Warwickshire - the ones with the test venues (Durham?) .

Sure, have 6 counties in the top division - but who's going to vote for it? The 6 counties which would make up the top division. Do you know why?

I reckon the only way it could work is to get rid of promotion and relegation in the first place. We got away with two divisions - but can you detect a gravitation of the top players to the division 1 counties? I can't.
    Nigel Clough's Black and White Army, beating Forest away with 10 men

International Vice-Captain
    The Division 2 players would end up in Division 1 anyway, when the Div 1 players go off for England or and 'A' side

One of the biggest fault with the two division competition in my opinion is that there is no visible divide. OK it's probably more competitive but there is no difference in standard IMO. I mean yes Derby suck and Surrey dominate but generally there are probably 12-14 teams who are almost inseperable, and that's the way it always will be.

Three-up-three-down doesn't help and I am not a fan (would prefer 2), but it does mean more games are competitive right until the end, which I guess was the main aim and this has been achieved.

I don't think there are any major problems with the English domestic system at the moment - it is better than at any time in the last 10 years IMO. I don't think any drastic changes need to take place right now - England are on the up and producing more players with better talent than for many years....
    My house is burned down but I can see the sky.

3 divsision of six will sort out the players fitnesses and also it will reduce the matches to 10 and also you could not have any matches whilst the test match is going on......

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    They still wouldn't be allowed to play their England players though.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Sorry, 3 divisions of six would only work if you do not allow promotion and relegation from the highest division.

Now, in order to justify a top division of 6, your job now is to select the elite counties - and to tell the other 12 that they are finished as far as professional cricket is concerned.

Solve that one and I will believe that there is a possibility.

The Aussies manage with six why cannot we

They've always only had 6 owing to their make-up.

We haven't.

If we went with 6 then Chris, which 6 would it be in your opinion?

Come on, Chris.

Ok, I'll have a go.

Middlesex
    Surrey
    Warwickshire
    Yorkshire
    Lancashire
    Nottinghamshire

They are your 6 certainties because they have the grounds which generate the revenue which sustains the game (and the establishment) in the rest of the country.

Say goodbye Durham (test centre), Hampshire (probable next test centre), Kent, Worcestershire, Derbyshire, Leicestershire, Glamorgan, Somerset, Sussex, Northamptonshire, Essex, Gloucestershire because the only way the top players will gravitate to the top teams is by making the top division permanent - i.e. no promotion and relegation.

Not a pretty sight, is it?

Especially when you look at the players produced by those counties that are currently in or around the England squad...

I would go for 8 personallly the seven test grounds and Worcestershire

Originally posted by luckyeddie
    Come on, Chris.

Ok, I'll have a go.

Middlesex
    Surrey
    Warwickshire
    Yorkshire
    Lancashire
    Nottinghamshire

They are your 6 certainties because they have the grounds which generate the revenue which sustains the game (and the establishment) in the rest of the country.

Say goodbye Durham (test centre), Hampshire (probable next test centre), Kent, Worcestershire, Derbyshire, Leicestershire, Glamorgan, Somerset, Sussex, Northamptonshire, Essex, Gloucestershire because the only way the top players will gravitate to the top teams is by making the top division permanent - i.e. no promotion and relegation.

Not a pretty sight, is it?

also i think that counties could merge

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information