• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Three divisions article

chris.hinton

International Captain
No Bias Marc just Correct....... hand on heart i dont want that to happen but if you have a Permier league of six teams and 2 divsions of six of Equal standing then this will help....

But my new format will be here in the middle of August

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
No bias when you want Worcester to be the only non-Test Ground county?
I'm all in favour. We can go boating at New Road - the only ground where you can catch barbel at third man.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
chris.hinton said:
I would go for 8 personallly the seven test grounds and Worcestershire
Well we could merge Worcestershire and Warwickshire, Middlesex and Surrey, Yorkshire and Durham...but then where would all the local derbies go? (No Eddie, not that kind of Derby)

Rich2001

International Captain
chris.hinton said:
No Bias Marc just Correct....... hand on heart i dont want that to happen but if you have a Permier league of six teams and 2 divsions of six of Equal standing then this will help....

But my new format will be here in the middle of August
Worcs that's quite funny really, why should they be there above the rest?

Being a Kent fan I would obviously say Kent (like Eddie said earier) but at least I have a argument that we are in the top flight of both divisions, unlike a certain team, and we get to host a ODI each year (every other year at worse). :D

Last edited:

Swanny

School Boy/Girl Captain
I'm sorry but I don't see where all these teams are going if we expand to three divisions. Lets be honest would the attendences at places like Derby realy suffer if they were in the third division, I can't see it. There's hardly anyone there anyway and they still survive with the ECB money. I'm only talking about splitting the county championship anyway, one-dayers can stay the way they are. Also whats wrong with the bottom division becoming almost minor counties in its make-up. There are far too many counties anyway given the interest in cricket isn't strong enough to support an 18 team domestic structure. If there were 12 professional teams and 6 semi-professional ones it might work.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
This has descended into one of the more stupid, pointless topics we've had for some time.

When are you going to realise that splitting the game up into additional divisions will only result in a migration of the top players into the top division IF you address the issue of promotion and relegation - and by address, I mean get rid of.

You can bash your head around 6 or 8 or 9 teams in the top division - but if the bottom sides are relegated, will their players on the England fringe move to the newly promoted sides?

Will the promoted sides be stronger or weaker than the relegated sides from the higher division? At present, is the top of the second division weaker than the bottom of the first? And how many of the test side actually play county cricket at the moment?

I give up.

Bazza

International 12th Man
My issue is even simpler - what's wronmg with the present system?!?! Not alot in my opinion! :rolleyes:

chris.hinton

International Captain
luckyeddie said:
This has descended into one of the more stupid, pointless topics we've had for some time.

When are you going to realise that splitting the game up into additional divisions will only result in a migration of the top players into the top division IF you address the issue of promotion and relegation - and by address, I mean get rid of.

You can bash your head around 6 or 8 or 9 teams in the top division - but if the bottom sides are relegated, will their players on the England fringe move to the newly promoted sides?

Will the promoted sides be stronger or weaker than the relegated sides from the higher division? At present, is the top of the second division weaker than the bottom of the first? And how many of the test side actually play county cricket at the moment?

I give up.

I think that my changes would have you forming at the mouth Luckyeddie, only joking there are good