• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ODIs - Reinvent or Retire?

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
1. More bowler friendly wickets
2. Larger boundries
3. Do it with the red ball

This will make ODIs more competitive, and will feed Test matches with quality batsmen with extra skills

NZ Guy

U19 Captain
^If you have a red ball you cant have Day nighters

TBH I don't see what England losing 5-nil to Aussie has to do with ODI cricket dying, just sounds like grumpy English to me, if England were winning we'd probably be hearing about the resurgance of ODI cricket:laugh:

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
I think your last paragraph is the crux of it tbh. As I've said before, I really enjoy one-day cricket - particularly in terms of watching a game live at the ground - because you get to see a game from start to finish, but it's a proper full day out unlike the T20. But I don't see how time constraints are going to allow everything to fit in.

Probably, tbh, it will depend on the 2011 WC and how one day games continue to be received in India. Because at the moment one day cricket in India makes and absolute fortune so I can't see them giving it up.

pup11

International Coach
Cricket Web - Features: ODIs - Reinvent or Retire?

Australia currently sit five-nil up against England in a one-day series that is being panned throughout the cricketing world. Is this indicative of a general decline in one-day cricket, and does the format need new ideas to save itself?

Graeme Smith recently talked about how too many meaningless tours are being played nowadays, and AFAIC its one of the reasons behind the decline of interest in ODI and test cricket.

To start with there are only 10 international cricket playing nations, and not all of them are highly competitive, so the problem is when all these nations keep playing against each other again and again, it generally results in most of the series in general ending up as one sided affairs, and that causes people to lose interest in these competitions

Therefore, the emphasis should definitely be on quality rather than quantity, unless that's not done, no matter what formula or gimmicks one applies to revive the test or ODI format, nothing is really gonna work, I also think teams should stop playing in dead rubbers, therefore no more games should be played, once the fate of the series is sealed.

Last edited:

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
let it be quality or quantity, SL will not get enough test matches even if they claim #1 spot.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Australia currently sit five-nil up against England in a one-day series that is being panned throughout the cricketing world. Is this indicative of a general decline in one-day cricket, and does the format need new ideas to save itself?
Not really, all this current Eng vs. Aus series indicates to me is how utterly inept England are at limited overs cricket, albeit without key players KP & AF.

I'm not sure if the article was written by an English Journalist or not, but if so, it certainly smacks of the old ....."we're so inept at this one-day caper, let's suggest the game is dying" tactic :happy:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Well I've championed Twenty20 in the article and I think we're probably even worse at that than we are at one-day cricket. It's more based off how poorly the games have been received, and the fact that there was apathy for the series before it began.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
1. More bowler friendly wickets
2. Larger boundries
3. Do it with the red ball

This will make ODIs more competitive, and will feed Test matches with quality batsmen with extra skills
1. Agree entirely - and the same goes for Tests too

2. Agree that this is worthwhile, although I don't think this is critical to the boredom factor in any form of the game

3. Disagree - white ball is essential to day/night cricket and I don't think the colour of the ball should matter any more in ODI cricket than it does in, say, football

Uppercut

1. Agree entirely - and the same goes for Tests too

2. Agree that this is worthwhile, although I don't think this is critical to the boredom factor in any form of the game

3. Disagree - white ball is essential to day/night cricket and I don't think the colour of the ball should matter any more in ODI cricket than it does in, say, football
It's not so much the colour as the fact that the two balls behave so differently. It's a bit of a joke that they use a ball that has to be replaced after 34 overs just as Brett Lee is unleashing a fantastic spell of reverse swing. The new white ball's nothing but gun-barrel straight this year too.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
I've read SS's posts before. The guy is a rabid T20 fanboy, just like me and archiemac and Richard.

Uppercut

Cricket Web - Features: ODIs - Reinvent or Retire?

Just got reading this there now.

There's an element of rearranging deckchairs to the proposed changes no doubt, but it's an interesting one. Everyone knows there's something horribly wrong with what's happening on the field but it's still easily the biggest money-spinner of the three forms of international cricket at the moment. If there's no economic reason to make changes to it because it's still making money and no social reason because people are still flocking to the grounds, I don't think they'll dramatically alter the game just for cricketing reasons. I suspect it has a long time to run yet. Especially if India keep being so good at it.

ripper868

International Coach
Think the game is fine for me, a 7 match series a bit overdone though, stick to 5 or 3.

Leave it as it is!

FFS, there is nothing wrong with it. A few tweaks might be needed, but the whole format is good.
A fair enough post.

Piss off. You sound like an Indian from PC now.

"t20 is da best cus we seee uv hitting 6ers !!11!!! go uv king of 6s!!!11"
Stupid boy. You just look like a complete tool with a post like this.

Spamming up the forum there.
As is your post at SS.