• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why does Everyone in England Hate May Tests?

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hampshire for no particular reason (just always have), and as a second side Lancashire, for proximity reasons.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Bangladesh are being hosted next May, less than a mile from my Manchester home I'll have you know.

I'll have to try making the journey across the treacherous mountains into Mordor Yorkshire for the Pakistan-Australia test next year.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Not sure I will with these visa restrictions they are bringing in.

Already having enough trouble getting the money back off them for this year's debacle, mind you its not like they haven't got a reputation...

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
My Edgbaston refund only came through yesterday, 14 days over the 30-day promise

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Bangladesh are being hosted next May, less than a mile from my Manchester home I'll have you know.

I'll have to try making the journey across the treacherous mountains into Mordor Yorkshire for the Pakistan-Australia test next year.
Yeah, Pak-Aus is top of my wish-list for matches next year. Should be awesome.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
and it is bi ... ttt . . .e . .rrr . .ly co . . . lll . . .ddd too
Funny thing is that on both of the occasions Sri Lanka have toured England since the introduction of May Tests the sun has shone brightly on the international season's opening day and the batting side has made hay (Atapattu and Jayawardene in 2002; Trescothick and Cook in 2006). Pretty much every other year it's been grey, drizzly and fairly (by UK standards; very by all other cricketing countries') cold.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
This is what I think tbh. Went to county cricket on some glorious days in the middle of May.

A lot of the complaints aren't really related to the month of the year. England-Bangladesh is crap, correct. Two-test series are crap, correct. Test matches are usually of low quality, correct. The ODI series is better placed before the tests, correct.

Those are all problems independent of when they occur. I'll happily object to ****ty two-test series against Bangladesh, plagued by low-quality and followed by a pointless 7-match ODI series. Nothing to do with what time of the year this occurs.
A lot of the complaints are related to other issues, true - but I'd still be far from happy with an important four\five-match series starting in mid-May. It's not like May Tests are a non-issue.

As I say - for me the ideal UK summer schedule would be:
five-match ODI series from ~15 May - ~25 May;
three-match Test series from ~7 June - ~1 July;
five-match ODI series from ~6 July - ~16 July;
four-match Test series from ~30 July - ~5 September

Sadly that would need to include a couple of sets of back-to-back Tests (ideally I'd only like one set per summer). But I'm not hugely keen on playing less than 10 ODIs per summer and I honestly do prefer seven Tests to six.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Quite like that schedule. A Test on my birthday would be a winner, for celebratory purposes.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Obviously it'd have to change a little according to which day of the week things fell on. But those'd be the dates which would form an approximation.