• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Starting your run up with the ball in the other hand ?

Midwinter

State Captain
Anyone on the forum do this ?

Tonight I noticed Nathan Hauritz does this. Nathan Bracken also does it and of course so does Murali.

Any other prominent bowlers do this ?

If any one on the forum does it, do you lose your grip sometimes ?

How often does the ball not "feel right " in the bowling hand when you change over ?

Jakester1288

International Regular

Tonight I noticed Nathan Hauritz does this. Nathan Bracken also does it and of course so does Murali.

Any other prominent bowlers do this ?

If any one on the forum does it, do you lose your grip sometimes ?

How often does the ball not "feel right " in the bowling hand when you change over ?
Never, I always settle on my grip before I run in. When I'm mucking around bowling spin trying to copy Shane Warne, I don't, but that's not very often.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yes.
Wasim and Waqar when they were getting reverse swing used to do it.
And the reasons are similar to the reasons these two used to - it's harder for batsmen to get an idea of what you're trying to do. Obviously I'm not remotely close to being as good as Wasim and Waqar, but the premise is the same - if you deny batsmen an early sight of the ball in your hand and thus what you're trying to do, you make it less easy than it would be if you give it to them.

In cricket, if you have the potential to gain an advantage, however slight, it's useful to utilise it.

But it isn't as easy as it looks and it did take a bit of practice before I got the hang of doing it then bowling what I was trying to bowl.