• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ICC looking at four 25-over innings in ODIs

Do you like four 25-over innings in ODI's?

• Total voters

slugger

State Vice-Captain
best idea........ to be honest im surprised it wasn't the original odi format. up to that point we only had test cricket (2 innings) it seems so logical when you look at it in that context..

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Don't like this idea at all tbh. The whole excitement of ODIs comes from the fact that, as long as the run rate is under say 10 or 11 runs an over, either team can still win it. IMO this will just make one sided matches even more one sided.

slugger

State Vice-Captain
if there is one point that should be made clear re: 25 over splits is that teams WILL NOT HAVE 2 SETS OF 10 WICKETS. as a team you will still only have 10 wickets as per normal.. for those who complain about this new format will interrupt the batsmen and bowlers innings .. they have obviously forgotten that a test match has many interruptions ..lunch.. tea.. and end of play (5 days) many not out batsmen have had the innings interrupted throughout these points and have gone on to score plenty regardless... this argument does not wash...

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
if there is one point that should be made clear re: 25 over splits is that teams WILL NOT HAVE 2 SETS OF 10 WICKETS. as a team you will still only have 10 wickets as per normal.. for those who complain about this new format will interrupt the batsmen and bowlers innings .. they have obviously forgotten that a test match has many interruptions ..lunch.. tea.. and end of play (5 days) many not out batsmen have had the innings interrupted throughout these points and have gone on to score plenty regardless... this argument does not wash...
Yeah why is everyone thinking that it'll be 2 sets of 10 wickets??

I like the idea, think it's more fair especially for matches effected by Duckworth Lewis. It also gives team management a chance to access the situation a little more and when your mrs says who's winning you can actually give an answer at the half way point of the match.

When I played all my junior cricket in 40 degree plus temperature we used to play four 20 over innings and it worked well.

PS - what is with all the similar ODI threads?

slugger

State Vice-Captain
the only point you need to use DL is when it rains in the final 25 over split.

if it rains at the 1st split and you lose a total of 10 overs of play, you deduct 5 overs each from the current and next split, thus the game will be 20 - 20 - 25 - 25

if it rains at the 2nd split and you lose 10 overs play you deduct 5 overs from the current and next split, thus 25 - 20 - 20 - 25

if it rains at the 3rd split and you lose 10 overs play you deduct 5 overs from the current and next split. thus 25 - 25 -20 - 20

ive made it seem simple.. but frankly.. because the game is evenly divided it gives you an option to deduct overs evenly across the splits.. regardless of when the weather turns bad.

the only point i could see DL needing to be applied is if the weather turns bad in the final split.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
if there is one point that should be made clear re: 25 over splits is that teams WILL NOT HAVE 2 SETS OF 10 WICKETS. as a team you will still only have 10 wickets as per normal..
Hehe, I hadn't realised this. Voted no but your shouty point has actually moved me from thinking it is a totally crap idea to thinking that there may be some merit in it.

Last edited:

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Bet Martin Crowe's behind this . He was interviewed about a month ago saying he was just about to leave to England to pitch a Test Championship (with semi's & finals) along with a 4 innings version of ODI's to the ICC.

jeevan

International 12th Man
Voted no. Gives ODI's a test match like feel.

ATM, seems to me T20 is here to stay and it is going to be a toss up between tests and ODIs. Given that stark choice, would rather not do anything to improve the ODI format. Too much risk in some smart bean counter going, hey why dont we merge ODI and tests into a Two Day International with 2 innings of 50 overs each (or 4 of 25).

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
No he wasn't, he is talking about two 20 over innings, not two 25 over innings..

BTW I've mentioned it heaps of times and I think it's an awesome idea really.

I would also like to see:

• a new ball at the start of each 25 overs
  • first 5 overs automatic power play, 5 overs of bowling power play and 5 overs of batting power play in each 25 over period