• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England Central Contracts Announced

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah, other than that it's a reasonable bunch, not sure Sidey should have one either as much as I love the guy. Better than last year though where Vaughan and I think Harmison were given them.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Bell's is a ****ing joke. He's not even in the ODI team currently. Sid & Onions somewhat spawny too, IMHO.

Admirable ruthlessness with Panesar tho, it must be said. Central contract to nowt.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Onions is fair enough; central contracts are always given to Test regulars and that's obviously what they see him as.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Bell getting a central ahead of Trott just stinks of favouritism. Trott's surely much less likely to drop out of the test side in the next year, and surely far more likely to take a place in the ODI side.

morgieb

Surprised Flintoff only got a incremental contract. I know that he's quit test cricket, but he's the best English cricketer in the team. Also Bell & Sidebottom didn't really deserve full contracts.

Penguinissimo

U19 12th Man
Ian ****ing Bell? What has that shower of piss done to warrant a central contract?
My thoughts exactly. Sounds harsh, but I wish he was injured for a year so that the selectors would be forced to abandon their collective love child.

Although playing for Warwickshire currently seems to be a good enough qualification for the England squad.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
My thoughts exactly. Sounds harsh, but I wish he was injured for a year so that the selectors would be forced to abandon their collective love child.

Although playing for Warwickshire currently seems to be a good enough qualification for the England squad.
Jeez, he's not that bad.

Penguinissimo

U19 12th Man
Jeez, he's not that bad.
Am I going to beat Scaly to this?

No, seriously, he is. He has had about five years to prove himself, and actually seems to be getting worse. The 2009 Ashes version of Bell has managed to add "horrific weakness against short-pitched bowling" to his previous list of flaws (such as "crumbles under pressure" and "incapable of transforming pretty-looking starts into substantial innings").

Good short leg fielder, though - maybe that's why they pick him.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Onions is fair enough; central contracts are always given to Test regulars and that's obviously what they see him as.
Yeah, fair call, actually. Was imagining they're designed for those who're regulars in both forms, but Mick & Harmy both got them after they'd given ODIs away.

Just hope we don't feel compelled to play Onions in limited overs now. Sadly his presence in the CT squad seems to suggest we might. :mellow:

Uppercut

Am I going to beat Scaly to this?

No, seriously, he is. He has had about five years to prove himself, and actually seems to be getting worse. The 2009 Ashes version of Bell has managed to add "horrific weakness against short-pitched bowling" to his previous list of flaws (such as "crumbles under pressure" and "incapable of transforming pretty-looking starts into substantial innings").

Good short leg fielder, though - maybe that's why they pick him.
Massive, massive lbw candidate now too. He's found a whole host of technical issues to go with his famous mental ones.

Penguinissimo

U19 12th Man
Massive, massive lbw candidate now too. He's found a whole host of technical issues to go with his famous mental ones.
Quite. But by giving him a central contract when he doesn't feature for either limited overs team, the selectors have basically guaranteed him a spot in the team - probably at Colly's expense in SA, although I'd rather have Colly than Bell any day of the week.

Steyn, Ntini and co are going to rip him apart. In fact, maybe that's the next best thing that can happen (other than him getting injured for a year) - give him 4 tests in SA and let him be so bad that they are compelled to drop him for at least three years (rather than until he next scores a ton for Warks).

Uppercut

Given his struggles with Midge Johnson I'd be more concerned about the yet-to-debut Wayne Parnell. Will be absolutely all over his pads.

Penguinissimo

U19 12th Man
Given his struggles with Midge Johnson I'd be more concerned about the yet-to-debut Wayne Parnell. Will be absolutely all over his pads.
The thing I'm most concerned about when Bell is at the crease is that he's going to make some runs and therefore be guaranteed a starting spot for the next two years (I think he's still living off that 199 against SA on that road at Lords - even then he bottled his double hundred).

Uppercut

Just realised I missed the best piece of news from the article- Harmison's out altogether.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I think people are reading too much into Monty & harmy being out 'altogether'. Incrementals are generally for players who are in the ODI squad but not the Test one, Trott is a bit of an anomale there.

harmy & Monty still likely to go to Saffa IMO

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Nah, I fancy Rashid will go as the extra spinner and Harmy will announce retirement.

Think Broad, Jimmeh, Sidebottom, Onions and Bresnan will be the seam attack for the Republic but maybe there is a possibility of a sixth seamer going given England favour a five man bowling attack.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think that if Harmison does not retire then he is likely to go and given the alternatives it would not be a terrible decision, hopefully though he will do everyone a favour including himself and retire.