• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England Central Contracts Announced

BoyBrumby

Englishman
That's it isn't it. Fat, shy-looking blokes come across as untalented men making the most of what they've got even when it's far from the truth. General fallacy based on the way that he looks. Paul Collingwood's had the same problem for years- the guy averages 42 with a reputation for scoring tough, important runs but he still comes across as a slightly-incompetent trier (and I know Goughy disagrees strongly with this analysis). It's probably time people accepted that he's actually a reasonably good player.

Jonathan Trott's the opposite. He gives the impression of knowing exactly what he's doing at all times, with his facial expressions, body language... you know. He inspires confidence where Bresnan and Colly inspire none. Must be a South African thing.
:huh:

Pretty much got by on talent alone, did Inzi. Was fat & stumbled over every sentence he spoke in public, so shy was the big fella.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Inzy was one of my favorite batsmen - I really think he could have averaged in the high fifties if he was more fit and ran ones and twos like the Australians do, for example. His average ending up just so slightly below 50 just rankles me to no end, especially if people use that '50' mark to judge people.

Last edited:

SaeedAnwar

U19 Debutant
why is that england use different players for their test and oneday side?

I believe England are much better in using their test players in Oneday matches because clearly their oneday team is really weak compared to their test team.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
why is that england use different players for their test and oneday side?

I believe England are much better in using their test players in Oneday matches because clearly their oneday team is really weak compared to their test team.
Dire. I suppose you'd be in favour of New Zealand sending out their rugby union team in Test cricket, too.

Last edited:

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Freddie's going to turn down his contract and become freelance, presumably to avoid some nob telling he can't play in the IPL because of another pointless ODI series.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Freddie's going to turn down his contract and become freelance, presumably to avoid some nob telling he can't play in the IPL because of another pointless ODI series.
Interesting. I wonder if others will follow suit.

Not particularly concerned with Flintoff (strongly doubt if he'll ever attain full fitness for longer than a few minutes at a time again and has retired from tests in any event), but it could have ramifications if Pietersen does likewise.

Happily I doubt any of our other players are good/confident enough in making a living from the IPL's largesse to turn a central contract down tho.

Penguinissimo

U19 12th Man
Not particularly concerned with Flintoff (strongly doubt if he'll ever attain full fitness for longer than a few minutes at a time again and has retired from tests in any event), but it could have ramifications if Pietersen does likewise
Pretty much a nightmare scenario for the England setup.

However, they could remove the problem by stopping the ridiculous May Tests.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Haha, someone turning down a contract with the ECB to play cricket in the IPL is a serious issue. But being Freddie, he'll get away with it.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Not surprising I suppose. If we're building for the 2011 WC it's probably best we just forget about him, we may as well work with what we're likely to have at that point.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Not surprising I suppose. If we're building for the 2011 WC it's probably best we just forget about him, we may as well work with what we're likely to have at that point.
That sounds an awful lot more depressing than you probably meant it as. :p

But yeah, no surprise. The £30k they're bandying about as the contract being worth is just small change to Fred, I'm sure. Big concern is if KP follows suit IMHO.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
That sounds an awful lot more depressing than you probably meant it as. :p

But yeah, no surprise. The £30k they're bandying about as the contract being worth is just small change to Fred, I'm sure. Big concern is if KP follows suit IMHO.
Lol, no... I just wonder if we're going to be able to rely on Fred at that point. It's always been disruptive to the team balance when he's in and out.

I don't know about small change... the implication of what Atherton is just saying is that he loses the ECB medical team and so on. That would surely be costly.

stumpski

International Captain
Freddie goes freelance: rejects ECB contract

Just been listening to the discussion with Atherton and Hussain on Sky. Fair play to the guy, if he wants to go it alone he's earned the right to do so. May set a precedent I suppose, but I can't see many being in a position to do likewise.

Edit: just noticed this has been discussed on the 'contracts' thread. Can someone merge, please. :)

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Vaughan, Aggers & Goochie arguing the same toss on TMS. Gooch was being slightly disingenous IMHO, saying it was as much about the prestige of playing in the IPL with all the world's best players as the money. It might not just be about the money but suspect it is mainly.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Vaughan, Aggers & Goochie arguing the same toss on TMS. Gooch was being slightly disingenous IMHO, saying it was as much about the prestige of playing in the IPL with all the world's best players as the money. It might not just be about the money but suspect it is mainly.
I think it's more about avoiding the pointless ****ty series like the one going on now. If there's a choice between playing in this or playing in the IPL then most would go to the IPL I think.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Happen the old romantic in him fancies a season with Lancashire but just doesn't now how to say it?

stumpski

International Captain
Might be in his own interests to stay match-fit by playing the odd one-dayer for Lancs - he'll have plenty of free time missing England Tests after all. Can't see him agreeing to play in the CC though.

kingkallis

International Coach
Correct decision taken by Freddie!

Playing in IPL and as a fulltime freelancer will be really interesting experience and he wont be bounded by the terms and conditions applied by ECB or any other governed body.