• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England Central Contracts Announced

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Both should not be included, Harmison is never going to do anything of note again for England again, Bresnan is just never going to do anyting of note in the first place.

stumpski

International Captain
Davies for SA :ph34r:

Will never happen though.
I take it you meant Steven, rather than Mark? Wasn't sure after your comment on the domestic season thread.

Steven Davies should be preferred to Ambrose (who's had a quiet season) as 2nd keeper really.

LegionOfBrad

International Debutant
I take it you meant Steven, rather than Mark? Wasn't sure after your comment on the domestic season thread.

Steven Davies should be preferred to Ambrose (who's had a quiet season) as 2nd keeper really.
I actually meant Mark, but he would have to play a season (or more without getting injured) surely he'd be better than Bresnan tho.

stumpski

International Captain
Yeah, I don't think he's actually played many full seasons - would have impressive returns if he ever does. Generally only makes it till mid-June.

kingkallis

International Coach
I watched few overs of Gloucestershire vs Yokshire and I was pretty impressed with their opening bowler Shahzad. Pretty good action and very accurately sends his overs @ 86 mph

Is he any good or just 1-2 good games under his belt?

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
I watched few overs of Gloucestershire vs Yokshire and I was pretty impressed with their opening bowler Shahzad. Pretty good action and very accurately sends his overs @ 86 mph

Is he any good or just 1-2 good games under his belt?
Looked nothing special everytime ive seen him, im not the most impartial observer, but my Yorkshire supporting mate isn't a fan either. Though i believe they see him as the future leader of the attack across the border

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Looked nothing special everytime ive seen him, im not the most impartial observer, but my Yorkshire supporting mate isn't a fan either. Though i believe they see him as the future leader of the attack across the border
wtf dav

FBU

International Debutant
Flower on Harmison

"Anyone that loses their central contract, it's a reflection of the last 12 months - so that's hard for anyone to take. But he is a mature adult and he'll understand the reasons why. I'd like him to fight back and get back into the England side."

In the contract period (1/10/08 - 30/9/09)
Harmison
5 Tests 10 wickets at 40.40 econ 3.40 s/r 71.2
7 ODIs 4 wickets at 78.50 econ 6.03 s/r 78.0

Sidebottom
3 Tests 1 wicket at 181.00 econ 3.06 s/r 354.0
4 ODIs 2 wickets at 75.50 econ 5.20 s/r 87.0

I don't see why Sidebottom gets one but not Harmison.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Both should not be included, Harmison is never going to do anything of note again for England again, Bresnan is just never going to do anyting of note in the first place.
Why do people say this about Bresnan? He bowls 85mph and he swings it. Not a great bowler at the moment but definitely something to work with there. He just has the face of an "honest trier", so that's what he's cast as. Decent enough prospect for mine.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Why do people say this about Bresnan? He bowls 85mph and he swings it. Not a great bowler at the moment but definitely something to work with there. He just has the face of an "honest trier", so that's what he's cast as. Decent enough prospect for mine.
Yeah, I agree with this strongly. He swings it at pace and decent control with a strong action, a lot of First Class experience at a young age and a bowling record that has improved significantly over the last few seasons. Add in the fact that he's scored 1571 runs @ 37 in the last three seasons domestically and has an England Lions hundred and what you've got is a pretty handy cricketer.

What I really think he needs to do is push that batting on a bit because I certainly think he's got the bowling to be a Test standard bowling allrounder and compliment Broad in the lineup should England want to continue down the five bowler route. I think he'll struggle to ever hold down a spot on bowling alone as such but he's a damn sight better than a few others England have tried of late; I think he's over-criticised on here.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Flower on Harmison

"Anyone that loses their central contract, it's a reflection of the last 12 months - so that's hard for anyone to take. But he is a mature adult and he'll understand the reasons why. I'd like him to fight back and get back into the England side."

In the contract period (1/10/08 - 30/9/09)
Harmison
5 Tests 10 wickets at 40.40 econ 3.40 s/r 71.2
7 ODIs 4 wickets at 78.50 econ 6.03 s/r 78.0

Sidebottom
3 Tests 1 wicket at 181.00 econ 3.06 s/r 354.0
4 ODIs 2 wickets at 75.50 econ 5.20 s/r 87.0

I don't see why Sidebottom gets one but not Harmison.
He had less Tests to prove his worth in, had to play when he clearly wasn't fit to bowl and was a lot better over the previous couple of years than Harmy.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah, I agree with this strongly. He swings it at pace and decent control with a strong action, a lot of First Class experience at a young age and a bowling record that has improved significantly over the last few seasons. Add in the fact that he's scored 1571 runs @ 37 in the last three seasons domestically and has an England Lions hundred and what you've got is a pretty handy cricketer.

What I really think he needs to do is push that batting on a bit because I certainly think he's got the bowling to be a Test standard bowling allrounder and compliment Broad in the lineup should England want to continue down the five bowler route. I think he'll struggle to ever hold down a spot on bowling alone as such but he's a damn sight better than a few others England have tried of late; I think he's over-criticised on here.
I think it's his chubby waistline that gets him most of his stick tbh

What do the contracts mean? How much do they get paid - is it a flat fee or by number of matches, etc?
Reports on the salaries vary, but the centrally contracted players are believed to earn up to a quarter of a million in salary, maybe with Strauss getting a bit more as skipper. I think match fees are on top of that, plus expenses, but I might be wrong. The incrementally contracted players get £40k basic from the ECB with that rising depending on how many games they play, but they are also contracted to their counties.

Someone else can probably provide a better insight but that's my basic understanding.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think it's his chubby waistline that gets him most of his stick tbh
That's it isn't it. Fat, shy-looking blokes come across as untalented men making the most of what they've got even when it's far from the truth. General fallacy based on the way that he looks. Paul Collingwood's had the same problem for years- the guy averages 42 with a reputation for scoring tough, important runs but he still comes across as a slightly-incompetent trier (and I know Goughy disagrees strongly with this analysis). It's probably time people accepted that he's actually a reasonably good player.

Jonathan Trott's the opposite. He gives the impression of knowing exactly what he's doing at all times, with his facial expressions, body language... you know. He inspires confidence where Bresnan and Colly inspire none. Must be a South African thing.