• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Forbes: Highest earning cricketers

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Amusing editorial in one of the gulf newspapers today where the author argues that, based on Yuvi earning $8 million a year, cricket is now one of the few sports where earnings are based on marketing hype rather than performance

He claimed that the only comparable was Beckham in football but at least he was good enough to be at least world-class if not one of the world's best

stumpski

International Captain
Sachin Tendulkar is 'the holder of numerous offensive records' apparently. Always amusing when Americans try to explain cricket.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Amusing editorial in one of the gulf newspapers today where the author argues that, based on Yuvi earning $8 million a year, cricket is now one of the few sports where earnings are based on marketing hype rather than performancet
Yuvi makes about $5m, but yes, the point is true. His ability, even staying within an Indian cricket context, does not put him in the top five players. Indian players, let alone world players. He wouldn't make the 5th Test World XI.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yuvi makes about $5m, but yes, the point is true. His ability, even staying within an Indian cricket context, does not put him in the top five players. Indian players, let alone world players. He wouldn't make the 5th Test World XI.
Would probably make a T20 world XI though, arguably anyway.

brackenNY

School Boy/Girl Captain
Tendulkar will continue to make mad amounts of money even after he retires. Probably more than when he was playing.

bagapath

International Captain
He's a brand name like Jordan. As India's economy expands, so will his endorsements.
indians also like to spit on their own idols. one unpopular move and sachin's effigy would be burning in every street corner. good on him that he is milking it dry when he is on top.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
indians also like to spit on their own idols. one unpopular move and sachin's effigy would be burning in every street corner. good on him that he is milking it dry when he is on top.
You could argue that a lot of Indians don't respect Gandhi like they should but that is just executing their democratic right to free opinions.

Amitabh is an interesting case. India backed him and prayed for him when he got injured shooting for Janzeer. Yet no one came to his aid when he was in a financial crisis. Amitabh became a political figure and made a lot of wrong decisions and India still embraced him back.

Azharuddin is back in the society parties in Hyderabad after is match fixing scandal.

Tendulkar is Tendulkar. I really doubt India will ever hate him. I know you disagree with me as you have seen heroes fall in front of your eyes but I have to see it to believe that people will really be against Tendulkar.

EDIT - SCRATCH all that. When he was going through a bad phase, so many people wrote him off, it was not funny. You are right.

Last edited:

bagapath

International Captain
You could argue that a lot of Indians don't respect Gandhi like they should but that is just executing their democratic right to free opinions.

Amitabh is an interesting case. India backed him and prayed for him when he got injured shooting for Janzeer. Yet no one came to his aid when he was in a financial crisis. Amitabh became a political figure and made a lot of wrong decisions and India still embraced him back.

Azharuddin is back in the society parties in Hyderabad after is match fixing scandal.

Tendulkar is Tendulkar. I really doubt India will ever hate him. I know you disagree with me as you have seen heroes fall in front of your eyes but I have to see it to believe that people will really be against Tendulkar.

EDIT - SCRATCH all that. When he was going through a bad phase, so many people wrote him off, it was not funny. You are right.

ha ha. before i could respond, you have added the note.

you know what? i am actually okay with the public opinion changing either way on anyone. i have been to certain countries where the country's leader is treated above law and with so much reverence that people are practically brainwashed to worship their king/president from childhood. at least indians are free enough to question anybody. what i dont like is the extremes they go to in praising or dissing a person. a bit more equanimity would not hurt, IMO.

sachin will always be liked by the majority, like kapil is despite some serious allegations on his integrity. what i am in doubt about is whether he would make more money post retirement.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
ha ha. before i could respond, you have added the note.

you know what? i am actually okay with the public opinion changing either way on anyone. i have been to certain countries where the country's leader is treated above law and with so much reverence that people are practically brainwashed to worship their king/president from childhood. at least indians are free enough to question anybody. what i dont like is the extremes they go to in praising or dissing a person. a bit more equanimity would not hurt, IMO.
We treat our celebs with a god like devotion like they are above normal people. By law, each citizen has equal rights but we treat our celebs more specially and better than any where else. Every one made such a hoopla when Shah Rukh Khan was security checked. Indians go through such checks a lot of times, no one cares to raise the point in the media then. Because it was Shah Rukh Khan, every one cared so much. I know what your gripe is. (Y)

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Doubtful.
Haha yes, a fair point. These aren't the highest paid cricketer's at all! They're the highest paid players of simplified baseball!
Well, 75% of Tendulkar's income is not from T20. It's mostly from ODIs unfortunately, hence the reason Yuvraj Singh is so high on the list. ODI rule(d) in India. We'll see what happens with all that in the next couple years.