• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Biggest Disgrace?

The Biggest Disgrace

• Total voters

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Has to be the betting scandal. Bodyline and underarm are examples of competitive cricketers arguably going a bit too far in trying to win, whereas the betting scandal was completely against everything that sport should be about. The Pakistani walk-off and Murali "chucking" scandal did nowhere near the damage to the sport than Cronje and co. did.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Has to be the betting scandal. Bodyline and underarm are examples of competitive cricketers arguably going a bit too far in trying to win, whereas the betting scandal was completely against everything that sport should be about. The Pakistani walk-off and Murali "chucking" scandal did nowhere near the damage to the sport than Cronje and co. did.
so much AWTA in this post.

bagapath

International Captain
Completely AWTA

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Out of those choices it's obviously the Cronje affair. Had "Derek Pringle playing International Cricket" been one of the options that would have got my vote.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hate to sound like a broken record, but I'd like to know why those who voted for underarm went for that over Bodyline. Am still yet to see any real difference between the two, other than that one was sustained for a series of games and involved the threat of real physical harm to the batsman.

But yeah, as others have said, has to be the match fixing.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Hate to sound like a broken record, but I'd like to know why those who voted for underarm went for that over Bodyline. Am still yet to see any real difference between the two, other than that one was sustained for a series of games and involved the threat of real physical harm to the batsman.

But yeah, as others have said, has to be the match fixing.
Resounding answer would be "we are kiwis and hold grudges"

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
It's hard to define "sneaky" behaviour. It's a bit like an elephant: easier to recognise than to define. But I'm pretty confident that most cricket supporters, including Australians, would regard the underarm incident as sneaky. And that, I think, is why cricket supporters don't like it. Bodyline might be wrong for many reasons but it wasn't sneaky.

I think the more valid comparison is between Bodyline and the pace barrage of Lillee and Thomson ("I enjoy hitting a batsman more than getting him out. I like to see blood on the pitch") in the mid-1970s.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I think how one measures "biggest" is crucial here. My own personal opinion is that Cronje's exploits are the most nefarious; the least one should be able to expect of any sporting event is that both sides are trying to win, without that we're into the realms of scripted sportainment. All well and good if the punters know the deal up front and are cool with it (i.e. pro-wrestling), but a fraud on the paying public if recondite.

However, in terms of cultural impact and significance, it has to be Bodyline. Seriously threatened diplomatic relations between GB & Oz and over 75 years later and we still debate its aftermath very keenly.

stumpski

International Captain
Although it was 'only' a county game, I tend to think of Brian Rose's declaration after one over of a B & H game (read about it here) as more blameworthy than the underarm incident - not least because of the way he tried to defend it afterwards. Showed complete contempt for the paying spectators, for the opposition and the game itself.

fredfertang

..... but it wasn't as if he didn't say what he was going to do in advance - why they couldn't have just started another "friendly" game after the nonsense is beyond me - IMO the TCCB were at least as much at fault as Rose

stumpski

International Captain
I thought he only canvassed it with his own team didn't he? Worcestershire and the umpires weren't forewarned as far as I know.

I think Somerset did offer to replay the game, but the schedules didn't allow it - as you say common sense should have prevailed at the time. By 'friendly game' though do you mean one purely to placate the spectators? I'm not sure that would have worked, the mood had turned ugly by then. Expelling Somerset from the competition was the right course I think.

Last edited:

fredfertang

I thought he only canvassed it with his own team didn't he? Worcestershire and the umpires weren't forewarned as far as I know.

I think Somerset did offer to reply the game, but the schedules didn't allow it - as you say common sense should have prevailed at the time. By 'friendly game' though do you mean one purely to placate the spectators? I'm not sure that would have worked, the mood had turned ugly by then. Expelling Somerset from the competition was the right course I think.

Rose realised that what he was planning was likely to cause an outcry, and checked with Donald Carr, the secretary of the Test & County Cricket Board (the forerunner of the England & Wales Cricket Board), whether it was legal. The reply came that while it was within the laws as they stood, it was certainly against their spirit and that there would be "repercussions".
They had the chance to sort it out - they made the silly rule - and it is (and was) a professional game

stumpski

International Captain
Also from that article:

Rose was unrepentant. "I had no alternative" he said.

Well yes, he did, actually.

fredfertang

very true - just don't think it's very fair that history portrays him as the only villain of the piece - the stuffed shirts should join him in the rogues gallery