• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Biggest Disgrace?

The Biggest Disgrace

• Total voters

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Still think Rashid Latif's is right up there (or rather down and grassed) with it. Literally picks it up off the floor.
Dhoni's off KP in England a year or two ago right up there too as far as that type of thing goes, although there are plenty of others as well - Clarke's v NZ in an ODI was blatantly not out too.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Has to be the betting scandal. Bodyline and underarm are examples of competitive cricketers arguably going a bit too far in trying to win, whereas the betting scandal was completely against everything that sport should be about. The Pakistani walk-off and Murali "chucking" scandal did nowhere near the damage to the sport than Cronje and co. did.
/thread

bagapath

International Captain
ovalgate fiasco as that's the only one that happened during my cricket watching days...
It was not good to watch, I agree. But it is more a result of a stiff official following the law as it is written on paper rather than employing a bit of diplomacy to make the situation better. I dont think it belongs in the same list as match fixing. That is downright corruption and a real disgrace.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Sachin lying blatanlty to save Bhaggi in Symmonds racial accusation.
I had difficulty with some of the testimonies from the australian witnesses. Clarke etc.
They claimed they heard nothing of the proceeding conversation which included both players swearing at each other - and then all of a sudden their hearing started working and they heard the one word monkey.
If they said they heard the whole conversation it would have made Symond's case more reliable. Just hearing one word introduces the possibility that they misheard it. If they heard the whole thing it says they were in a better position to listen.

My vote though for disgraceful behaviour is sledging in general.
Strangely I have double standards I don't mind the occassional word from a fast bowler to a batsman because the batsman can do something about it - ie hitting him for 4.
But verbal barrages from fielders and wicketkeepers are cowardly.
Having played club games with sledging in them - I can comment that I much preferred the games without sledging.
Sledgers at club level are just copying the behaviour they see on TV and I think that sledging should be curbed.
Richard Hadlee took 400 odd wickets without sledging - he said that he preferred to glare at his oppossing batsman. And if that is good enough for Hadlee then it should be good enough for others.
The biggest barrier to taking away sledging is the players themselves. "Oh it doesn't bother me" and "I wasn't listening to what he was saying". It is like the players don't want to offend the sledgers by speaking out against it and probably figure they will become a target for it if they speak out. And even if it doesn't bother them I think they should be big enough to see that it is bad for the game. Cricket is not rugby or soccer where a bit of emotion makes you play better you need to stay calm and keep your wits about you.

Anyways I could go on. And there have probably been threads on this already.

Dissector

International Debutant
Ended up going with the majority with the matchfixing scandal though bodyline comes close as well. I admit I am one of those who doesn't understand the big fuss about the underarm incident. Worse things happen on the cricket field every year.