• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Day/Night test cricket planned

pskov

International 12th Man
Bangladesh agree to day-night Test in England | Bangladesh Cricket News | Cricinfo.com

What is the point in this anyway?

Why can the authorities never address the key issues?

1/ England and Australia are currently blowing off Ashes steam by playing a pointless 7 ODI's against each other

2/ Bangladesh and the West Indies don't count at the moment

3/ You won't fill a test ground, Ashes aside, when the cheapest ticket is 20 pounds
I agree with the sentiment behind this statement but it is actually factually incorrect, as Lord's and The Oval have consistently sold out just about every match played at those two venues this decade regardless of ticket pricing.

LegionOfBrad

International Debutant
Have they sorted out whether they can get a pink ball to last 80 overs yet? Seems a bit ridiculous as a "Test" if they keep having to change the ball.

Also testing it against bangladesh in England seems a little silly as in all likelihood the game will be over in two days. But i suppose Banga would be the only ones to agree to it.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Also testing it against bangladesh in England seems a little silly as in all likelihood the game will be over in two days. But i suppose Banga would be the only ones to agree to it.
Unfair on England. We'll hold out for longer than that, Shakib can't bowl from both ends you know.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Past your bedtime then GIMH?
Haha nah but it probably means an overnight stay - we were gonna do one the day before we went anyway, so instead will probably just stay in London on the night of the game. If it goes ahead. My plan for next year is to do a Test at Lord's (Pakistan the preference but if Bangas is DN that may swing it for them) and an ODI against the crims (at OT if they are hosting one which I think they are).

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Haha nah but it probably means an overnight stay - we were gonna do one the day before we went anyway, so instead will probably just stay in London on the night of the game. If it goes ahead. My plan for next year is to do a Test at Lord's (Pakistan the preference but if Bangas is DN that may swing it for them) and an ODI against the crims (at OT if they are hosting one which I think they are).
This is why Bangladesh is a good test bed for the DN Tests: because (a) it will help ensure a decent turn-out for what would otherwise be a poorly attended match and (b) people will fear less about the distortion of Test match statistics than they would in the case of different opposition, since everyone is already resigned to the idea that playing against Bangladesh under any conditions entails a massive distortion of Test match statistics.

No offence intended to Bangladesh here btw, but these are the realities atm

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah, agree completely. I might go against Bangas regardless if the tix are a lot cheaper than V Pak, but the DN is a massive clincher.

Not too sure on whether a DN Test in June is really relevant though given that it's barely ever dark at that time of year

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I would have thought trialling it in a few LVCC games might be a better idea - it will be tough enough for the Banglas to make a decent fist of it in May anyway let alone use them as guinea pigs for such a radical change in the way the game is played

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
I think it's worth a try. Aggers on the radio was saying that day/night cricket in England shouldn't happen in any form. I disagree, otherwise you hardly see any cricket on TV in the summer because of work.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Not in May and not against Bangladesh. Tickets for a tenner and I'm sure you will get a decent crowd.
Yeah this is all you have to do, I can get to Lords by train in under an hour, make the tickets 10 pounds there is no doubt that I would go. Idea of day-night cricket interests me a bit but I am not going to want to pay more than £25 to watch Bangladesh.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This is why Bangladesh is a good test bed for the DN Tests: because (a) it will help ensure a decent turn-out for what would otherwise be a poorly attended match and (b) people will fear less about the distortion of Test match statistics than they would in the case of different opposition, since everyone is already resigned to the idea that playing against Bangladesh under any conditions entails a massive distortion of Test match statistics.

No offence intended to Bangladesh here btw, but these are the realities atm
Can only think of one person who actually cares about the distortion of test match statistics tbh.

Uppercut

I'm struggling to think of any positives at all.. Imagine if this happened during the good old days.. Waqar Younis has been taken off because dew is starting to form..
I think it's fantastic for test cricket. People can come home from school or work and sit down and watch a test match; it's absolutely unprecedented, bar matches in the West Indies.

I don't think you realise how much cricket has gone to the dogs here. This year's deciding Ashes test was watched by about 25% of the audience that watched the 2005 equivalent. England have won the Ashes and no one cares. The only thing that's going to make a real difference is getting it back on terrestrial TV, but those channels don't seem to want it, so stuff like this is a pretty decent step forward.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Not really. Test cricket in England when they are playing a decent to good opposition always sells and is very healthy in comparison to other parts of the world. TV is irrelevant when people are paying over 50 quid a pop to watch it and you already have your lucrative Sky deal.

I remember watching England in the 1990s and they routinely played home tests on grounds which were not full and that was on terrestrial TV.

You don't have to invite gimmicks for Bangladesh in England. Just make the tickets cheap and schedule it when you can get the kids in and tap into the British Bangladeshi community, by hosting it in areas where there is a sizeable population.

Uppercut

Not really. Test cricket in England when they are playing a decent to good opposition always sells and is very healthy in comparison to other parts of the world. TV is irrelevant when people are paying over 50 quid a pop to watch it and you already have your lucrative Sky deal.

I remember watching England in the 1990s and they routinely played home tests on grounds which were not full and that was on terrestrial TV.

You don't have to invite gimmicks for Bangladesh in England. Just make the tickets cheap and schedule it when you can get the kids in and tap into the British Bangladeshi community, by hosting it in areas where there is a sizeable population.
A 65% drop in viewers is cause for concern whichever way you look at it. Applies to the highlights too, ftr, which were shown on terrestrial. £50-each test tickets might deal with the financial problems but when you've got less than a third of the fans you had four years ago you still have problems.