• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricketweb's 5 most unfairly treated players

stumpski

International Captain
Rob Key - people go on about his weight (much of which he's lost, btw) as if that somehow makes him a bad player. I reckon he's been unlucky to be ignored in favour of lightweights like Bell. Seems his face just doesn't fit somehow.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Rob Key - people go on about his weight (much of which he's lost, btw) as if that somehow makes him a bad player. I reckon he's been unlucky to be ignored in favour of lightweights like Bell. Seems his face just doesn't fit somehow.
Feel that's more the selectors then people here, to be fair. I think he's often mentioned when thinking of jettisoning some of the dead-weight:unsure: in our side.

There is a tendency for weight-ist jokes about all the players that carry a few pounds, to which there is an answer. "Eat less pies", he says with all realisation of the irony.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Which conveniently overlooks how poor he was when he played Tests.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Would have to agree with Prior in tests but he can go **** off in ODI's please.
Trescothick is harshly treated by many IMHO
Paul Harris
Nathan Hauritz actually most finger-spinners

and controversially Steve Harmison:ph34r: Don't get me wrong I'd be happy if he'd never played for England again, but at best he was a very potent fast bowler who could get out decent players on very flat pitches. The way we sometimes talk about him around here, you'd think he was Derek Pringle reincarnated.
Trescothick was always unfairly treated when he was playing for England but his reputation is currently at an all time high.

Harmison probably has reached a point when he has the repuation he deserves at the moment I would say.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Brett Lee before his post 05/06 purple patch used to get routinely talked down on CW. A few knockers seemed to crawl out of the woodwork after his dodgy Indian tour last year too.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Brett Lee before his post 05/06 purple patch used to get routinely talked down on CW. A few knockers seemed to crawl out of the woodwork after his dodgy Indian tour last year too.
I was thinking of him too. Only on CW would he have to bowl unbelievably well and take apart the England Lions team on a rank road before his place in the team ahead of Andrew McDonald would be sanctioned.

I'm a big fan though, I wasn't sure if it was just me overrating him rather than the other way around.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Conversely, it was during that purple patch he was labelled on here the best fast bowler in the world.

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
Conversely, it was during that purple patch he was labelled on here the best fast bowler in the world.
During that purple patch he arguably was (though I preferred Steyn, he just hadn't really had the opportunities he's had since to prove it).

Paul Harris takes a lot of stick considering he actually does a pretty decent job for the Saffers.
Hayden doesn't seem to get much love round here either, suprisingly among Oz fans too.
Thorpe seems to be often overlooked, personally think he's England's best since Gooch hung up his boots.
Mohammed Yousuf? Fair enough his record is inflated, but he's still a pretty damn fine batsmen, saw his innings in SA on their last tour where he rattled off 80 of the classiest runs you'll see, while his team mates were doing their usual bloopers reel.
Hoggard, underrated by everyone IMO, especially the selectors, the least vaunted of the 05 pace attack, the only one of the 4 to give England reliable service over a fairly long period (apart from Harmison who was reliably ****).

I don't think Ian Bell can get enough abuse as a batsman.

Last edited:

Uppercut

That sounds a lot more absurd that it was. The only alternative option was Dale Steyn, and he'd been good for an even shorter period of time. Still think he's up there if he keeps fit tbh.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Not much of an argument for me. Lee had gimme home series and the West Indies away. Steyn had Sri Lanka, Pakistan and India away plus the gimme home series. Yet who took the more wickets, had the better average and S/R?

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
That sounds a lot more absurd that it was. The only alternative option was Dale Steyn, and he'd been good for an even shorter period of time. Still think he's up there if he keeps fit tbh.
And Clark but Steyn was head and shoulders above for mine.

Uppercut

Think you're coming down with the stats bug. Lee looked marginally the better bowler for me in that period.

India at home isn't a gimme either. Lol.