• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Format for World Cup??

Deja moo

International Captain
There are many who consider the 92 format the best as all played all ..........but i think it was a bit boring coz u had all these matches 1 after another and then suddenly 3 knockout matches were upon you....a bit unexciting

personally i liked the 96 format as we had quarterfinls as well .....more knockout matches definitely add to the excitement of a world cup...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Too many teams for 92 to be revisited.

I think we need groups, and personally the 2 7's is about right - if it does go to 4 groups of 4 there is far more potential for shock results (as one bad game could be enough to send a team packing)

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
I want it so that all teams play each other right From the start ! .. Like just 1 huge pool

Then you can truly call yourself world Champions because you have played everyone..

Then say if there are 16 teams in 1 pool to start 8 qualify for next round and so on

Swanny

School Boy/Girl Captain
The problem which the organisers face is that there aren't enough quality teams to make a lengthy knock out stage feasable. At the football world cup for instance the last 16 after the group stages, where not that predictable. France and Argentina(a year on its still beautiful writing this) didn't even make it through the group stages. In cricket if you went straight into the quarter finals from the group stage I think its fair to say that the 8 teams would be Aus, SA, Eng, WI, Ind, Pak, SL, and then one of Zim, Ken or possibly Bangladesh(ok I know but it is still 4 years away). this essentially makes the whole group stage thing a little pointless, ie the 1996 world cup. So I think the super six idea, until we have a genuine world game, the best one. The only other way I can imagine they might do it is to have 4 groups of 4 and have the winners go straight through to the semi finals. I suppose a variation could be to have the group winners and 2 best runners-up go through to the super 6, where every team faces each other.
This would then have the added advantage of meaning the majority of games would be between decent sides. The one thing that spoiled the world cup for me(apart from england getting screwed) was watching to many games involving minnow nations. Cricket is a game where it is harder for the total underdog to win. Most other sports, team sports in particular have a greater degree of uncertainty in games involving good teams and minnows than cricket. I know Kenya got to the semi final but they only beat Zimbabwe and Sri Lanka (did that game ever get throughly investigated by the ACU because Sri Lanka seemed to be trying very hard not to win!!)
With 4 teams of 4 it would mean more time initially involving minnows but once they we were into the super sixes the competition would increase. I felt this time round the super sixes were almost devoid of any excitement and it was a huge relief when the semi finals started.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
2003 format for me. Perhaps a tad of tinkering with the carry-over points to the Super Sixes, but in all the balance was not too bad.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
lord_of_darkness said:
I want it so that all teams play each other right From the start ! .. Like just 1 huge pool

Then you can truly call yourself world Champions because you have played everyone..

Then say if there are 16 teams in 1 pool to start 8 qualify for next round and so on
So basically you just want the World Cup to last about 2 months and everyone to be sick of cricket when it's over?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
So basically you just want the World Cup to last about 2 months and everyone to be sick of cricket when it's over?
As supposed to lasting 6 weeks and everyone sick of cricket after it?

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
As supposed to lasting 6 weeks and everyone sick of cricket after it?
Huh? I was wandering around in a daze saying "What are we going to do now? What are we going to do now?".

Luckily, Sharjah and a few other things came to my rescue (that and reading cricket books).

Face it - I'm a totally sad case - a cricaholic.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I think its fair to say that the 8 teams would be Aus, SA, Eng, WI, Ind, Pak, SL, and then one of Zim, Ken or possibly Bangladesh(ok I know but it is still 4 years away).
What about New Zealand?

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
how could you ever get sick of cricket? i anything, the 2003 cup made me love it more.

V Reddy

International Debutant
Mr. Ponting said:
how could you ever get sick of cricket? i anything, the 2003 cup made me love it more.
I like Lord's format. It means even more matches:D . Every team is assured of 13 matches as there are 14 teams in a WC now. More cricket means more enjoyment .

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Mr. Ponting said:
The same excitement is just lacking after over-saturation.

For eg, in 1999 when Australia last toured the West Indies, I was so excited in the build up to the 1st Test. This year, it was more like "it started today?" I still watched the series, but my interest was more academic than previously. It's not that I got sick of cricket, but it's jusr that it loses some of its meaning.

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
you do have a point. some series just pass without notice nowadays. (for a lot of people. i still love it)

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
Go play football ( soccer ) if u get bored of watching cricket... damn it , if u come to cricketweb being a true cricket freak , how the hell can anyone get Bored of cricket ??!

2 Months of non stop World Cup Cricket sounds exciting to me, because its not 1 country playing another for 15 games its 1 country playing all the other countries to test true strenght and cosistency