• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

All Time New Zealand XI

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
By the time I started watching Cricket Turner wasn't playing tests anymore. Just remember him scoring 80 in 2 or 3 innings in a row for us in some ODIs vs Aussie.

Have read a bit about him and used to have his book a century of centuries.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Hayden > Turner? DWTA
I wouldn't - Hayden definitely superior for mine.

However I would strongly disagree with Martyn = Crowe. I like Damien Martyn as much as the next guy (or girl), but he wasn't in the same class as Martin Crowe.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I have been thinking about our all time XI - the Aussies in 2006 were a strong team. Do you think our All time XI could beat them.

Langer ? Dempster (Dempsters average was 65.72 but was he really that good or just a flash in the pan)
Hayden > Turner
Ponting > Sutcliffe
Martyn = Crowe
Clarke ? Donnelly (Do you think Donnelly could sustain a batting average of 52)
Hussey > Reid
Gilchrist > Smith
Warne > Vettori
Lee < Hadlee
Clark < Bond
McGrath > Cowie
Would be a tough battle. Ponting being Bond's plaything and all. I'd say the NZ team would edge it with a 20 run win.

subshakerz

International Coach
I have been thinking about our all time XI - the Aussies in 2006 were a strong team. Do you think our All time XI could beat them.

Langer ? Dempster (Dempsters average was 65.72 but was he really that good or just a flash in the pan)
Hayden > Turner
Ponting > Sutcliffe
Martyn = Crowe
Hussey > Reid
Gilchrist > Smith
Warne > Vettori
Lee < Hadlee
Clark < Bond
McGrath > Cowie
In New Zealand with the ball swinging/seaming, I actually give the NZ team a decent edge over Australia. They have a better pace attack (Hadlee and Bond loved bowling against Australia, and Cowie is a better third pacer than Lee) and they're batting is decent enough to get at least 300+ most of the time, especially with a strong tail right to no.9. The NZ side is certainly far better than the England side of 2005 that matched the Aussies, that alone is a reason to think they can give the Aussies headaches.

Last edited:

JBMAC

State Captain
Most teams will have a spinner in them. The only team I can think of that might not need a spinner is the West Indies.

Cairns for the win in the allrounders' spot, without a doubt.
Lance Gibbs, once the world's leading wicket taker might disagree with this:)

JBMAC

State Captain

Hayden > Turner
Ponting > Sutcliffe
Martyn = Crowe
Hussey > Reid
Gilchrist > Smith
Warne > Vettori
Lee < Hadlee
Clark < Bond
McGrath > Cowie
The key to your question lies in 3 places or names...ie Gilchrist,Warne and McGrath. Those 3 could turn a match their way and would do so against ANY eleven.The rest is a pretty equal match up .

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The key to your question lies in 3 places or names...ie Gilchrist,Warne and McGrath. Those 3 could turn a match their way and would do so against ANY eleven.The rest is a pretty equal match up .
Ponting and Hayden could easily be said to be all time greats as well.