• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

All Time New Zealand XI

Brett Dale

School Boy/Girl Captain
Wright
Turner
Sutcliffe/Fleming
Crowe
Donnelly
Cairns
Vettori
Parore
Hadlee
Taylor
Bond

I'd almost be tempted to have Reid as the keeper, as I know he was competent, but I'm not sure quite how good, so I go with Parore who's keeping skills were unparalled. Sutcliffe and Fleming is really difficult to pick, but I'd probably side with Fleming on account of his captaincy skills. The top order is a little light with Cairns coming in at number 6, but the batting ability of the lower order (with Taylor and his two test hundreds coming in at 10) nicely makes up for it.
You would have Parore ahead of Ian Smith?

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Sutcliffe and Fleming is really difficult to pick, but I'd probably side with Fleming on account of his captaincy skills.
You could have both - Sutcliffe was largely an opener so could put him up top in place of Wright and then play Fleming at 3.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Vettori will compare ok with derek underwood. Underwood has a SR of 73 and Vettori 76. Both have a similar number of wickets.
He also compares well to West Indies' Lance Gibbs and even has a better SR than him. Gibbs had a SR of 88
I've always liked Vettori a lot but he's not in their class. Judging purely on S/R forgets that most bowlers today have a better strike rate than those of decades past due to Test cricket being more attacking and faster scoring these days - Brett Lee has a better Test S/R than Lindwall or Davidson but you'd never say he should be in an all time Australian XI ahead of those two because of it.

As S/R improves due to more attacking cricket, so E/R invariably declines - Gibbs and Underwood both have significantly better E/Rs than Vettori, and importantly they both have substantially better career averages as well.

I am trying to think of who SA will put up and I don't know enough about their history but think they might struggle to come up with someone as good.
Hugh Tayfield would be the South African choice I imagine, though the likes of Schwarz and Vogler may have a say too.

Flem274*

123/5
I wouldnt include Fleming in my all time 11, he never got us a test victory Australia.
Ooooh wow, such credible criteria. He only played against arguably the best Australian side of all time, and had it not been for umpiring, could have come away with a win in Australia.

But then again, you're the bloke that thinks everything sucks, so I'm not going to bother.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
They had voting for the spinner

One horse for this course | All-time XIs | Cricinfo Magazine | Cricinfo.com

And voting for the fast bowlers

Seven for two | All-time XIs | Cricinfo Magazine | Cricinfo.com

This comment caught my eye on cricinfo
"Posted by Maui3 on (September 30 2009, 22:42 PM GMT)
Vetori, by default and mostly because of his batting. Can we speed this thing up please? I am losing interest in this. Take 6 weeks a pick a NZ side? By the time you are through with all 10 teams for test, ODI and twenty20, The sun would cool down."

They should be announcing the team soon.

DingDong

State Captain
Patel might be pushing for vettori's place 10 years down the line if he can keep up the form he showed in the SL series..

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
One member of the panel did not vote for Vettori so means he voted for one of the other spinners instead. I guess John Bracewell I would imagine.

Interesting that the panel went for Dempster over wright. I guess they weren't bothered by his lack of test matches.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Not quite "ridiculous". People underestimate how much Reid had to do for the NZ teams when he was playing. I still feel Cairns never quite lived up to his potential, while Reid carried the weight of NZ at times.

James

Cricket Web Owner
I would say the team is too light in the bowling attack, and that's where Cairns is needed.

Apart from Cairns for Reid, wouldn't disagree with the rest.

subshakerz

International Coach
Not quite "ridiculous". People underestimate how much Reid had to do for the NZ teams when he was playing. I still feel Cairns never quite lived up to his potential, while Reid carried the weight of NZ at times.
Okay but he only had 85 wickets in 58 matches, compared to Cairns who had over 200 wickets around that time. They scored around the same number of runs at pretty much the same average.

I would always have at least some viable fifth bowler, especially in test cricket where bowling wins matches.

This makes me think that Cricinfo has something in for Cairns. I recall sometime ago when they had this debate/poll for greatest all-rounder and Cairns wasn't even shortlisted while guys like Ravi Shastri were. Such an underrated cricketer.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Disagree. Cowie, Bond and Hadlee as the seamers, with Vettori as the spinner and Reid as the fifth bowler who could bowl pace or off-spin. Perfect fifth option. Teams more often than not go into a test with no more than four bowlers. Reid was essentially two bowlers in one, ala Sobers.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
I'd say there was a stong case for having Reid @ 6 & Cairns @ 7. Especially in NZ conditions - thus Vettori would have to be dropped.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I have been thinking about our all time XI - the Aussies in 2006 were a strong team. Do you think our All time XI could beat them.

Langer ? Dempster (Dempsters average was 65.72 but was he really that good or just a flash in the pan)
Hayden > Turner
Ponting > Sutcliffe
Martyn = Crowe
Clarke ? Donnelly (Do you think Donnelly could sustain a batting average of 52)
Hussey > Reid
Gilchrist > Smith
Warne > Vettori
Lee < Hadlee
Clark < Bond
McGrath > Cowie