• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ponting calls quits to Twenty20

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Yes good on him.

Now, if only half the rest of the worlds leading players would follow suit and quit too that might sufficiently devalue T20s and the stupid yearly T20 World Cup enough for the ICC to rethink the number of T20s internationals played :).

pasag

RTDAS
Just T20I, he didn't play half the games anyways leading to the farcical situation of players missing T20s throughout the year but coming back for the world championships with NFI how to play the game. This is going to make it that much harder to get rid of Clarke though.

Jakester1288

International Regular
Yes good on him.

Now, if only half the rest of the worlds leading players would follow suit and quit too that might sufficiently devalue T20s and the stupid yearly T20 World Cup enough for the ICC to rethink the number of T20s internationals played :).
As I said on PlanetCricket.

Why doesn't the whole nation step down and retire from Twenty20's?

Then the ICC removes Twenty20 from International cricket, and cricket is better for it.

Jakester1288

International Regular
Just T20I, he didn't play half the games anyways leading to the farcical situation of players missing T20s throughout the year but coming back for the world championships with NFI how to play the game. This is going to make it that much harder to get rid of Clarke though.
Yes, I agree. I'm perfectly fine with Clarke playing Twenty20's, because I couldn't give a damn how we are going. In ODI's (regarding Clarke), it's a different story.

slugger

State Vice-Captain
Yes, I agree. I'm perfectly fine with Clarke playing Twenty20's, because I couldn't give a damn how we are going. In ODI's (regarding Clarke), it's a different story.

oh how would it be different if aus was world champs t20i

Last edited:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Be good if we get to see Ponting play for Tasmania during the Twenty20 bash.

Glad with that call; think generational change in the Twenty20 side isn't the worst thing, especially with batsmen.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Smart call. Australian team was never going to progress with the captain only playing 1/3rd of the games.

Still believe his 98* on T20 debut against New Zealand as the most cracking innings by an Australian at international T20 level. Second most destructive innings I have ever witnessed from Ponting behind the 2003 WC final

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Yes because ODIs at the moment are so good - have you not seen the last 2 games?
Yes they've been crap, but that's because:
- It's a ridiculous 7 match series straight after the Ashes. No one cares and rightly so. Play them 6-12 months later FFS.
- The pitches haven't been very good. Par scores of 230-260 are fine by me in ODIs, but not low and slow pitches.
- England are crap at ODIs (not helped by selectors) and Australia are currently fairly mediocre themselves, especially without Ponting and Haddin.

Personally I still really enjoy a 3-5 match ODI series between two fairly good teams, far more than I do T20s. Too many meaningless ODIs have been played for too long, and now the same is happening with T20s.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Thought this was pretty funny when I saw it on the news this afternoon. My initial reaction was 'So what...it's Twenty/20'. Ponting didn't play too many games anyway and I have my doubts he ever took it overly seriously.

Maybe I suffer from having the same attitude, I enjoy watching some Twenty20 games but find a news conference during which a player anounces his retirement from the format slightly amusing.

Nothing against Ponting doing so though, he had to say something when he didn't intend playing it anymore.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Only downside I can see is the "split-captaincy" issue. Although Oz did it pretty successfully with Waugh & Ponting I suppose, so there is a happy precedent; it's just England who can't seem to get their heads round it.

pup11

International Coach
Yeah, spot on with the Clarke issue, he really needs to pull up his sockses in the limited overs formats if he doesn't want this decision to look farcical.

I'm pretty disappointed with Punter' decision, but at the same time I can see the his logic behind this, and like many have already said, I hope this prolongs his ODI and Test career.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
As I said on PlanetCricket.

Why doesn't the whole nation step down and retire from Twenty20's?

Then the ICC removes Twenty20 from International cricket, and cricket is better for it.
We'd get a situation like West Indies have at the moment where 2nd XI State sides would put their hand up.

I'm not upset one iota that he's retired - great move!

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
It's logical for guys like Tendulkar and Ponting to step aside from T20 internationals to focus on the real deal - test cricket and the 2011 ODI world cup. They can't afford to have a bad patch of form as it can lead to a quicker retirement at this stage of their careers though I doubt any one would be brave enough to drop Tendulkar if goes through a bad patch.