• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ponting calls quits to Twenty20

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
White's been one of Australia's better T20 batsmen, and has captained Victoria to 4 Big Bash finals (iirc).

Got as good a claim as anyone to the position.
Highly unlikely for White to make captain. Not established in the T20 side at all, did not make the T20 World Cup side recently.

His credentials are solid, but the selectors will go down the Clarke/Haddin route first.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Highly unlikely for White to make captain. Not established in the T20 side at all, did not make the T20 World Cup side recently.

His credentials are solid, but the selectors will go down the Clarke/Haddin route first.
That was idiocy on the part of the selectors though, IMO White should certainly have been in the squad once Symonds proved for the 16th time that he couldn't behave himself.

slugger

State Vice-Captain
Ponting's always disliked T20 (and I love him for that),

Go back to his pre-IPL comments - he was very cold on the format.
talks the talk ... but didn't walk the walk...

"oh I can earn that much... in that case... where do I sign"

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
That was idiocy on the part of the selectors though, IMO White should certainly have been in the squad once Symonds proved for the 16th time that he couldn't behave himself.
White still aint much of senior players - even if he keeps improving in coming months. Haddin is one of the better T20 players AUS have, so given his seniority once the selectors have the balls to kick Pup outta the T20 set-up until/if he learns to bat in that format. Haddin is the best man.

Or MAYBE M Hussey if he regains his hitting game in the near future.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
White still aint much of senior players - even if he keeps improving in coming months. Haddin is one of the better T20 players AUS have, so given his seniority once the selectors have the balls to kick Pup outta the T20 set-up until/if he learns to bat in that format. Haddin is the best man.

Or MAYBE M Hussey if he regains his hitting game in the near future.
If Australia genuinely want to improve in the format, then giving the captaincy to the guy who's most qualified to do it would be a huge step in the right direction.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Cameron White should be Australia's T20 captain.
White's clearly the best captain in the team but his place isn't exactly secure and even if it was, I think they'll see this as an opportunity to give the man they think will be the next Test captain international captaincy experience.

Last edited:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
If Australia genuinely want to improve in the format, then giving the captaincy to the guy who's most qualified to do it would be a huge step in the right direction.
How is White more qualified than Haddin to be captain though?. Haddin was NSW captain for longer than White was Victoria captain before he debuted for AUS last year. Its not as if White brings some supreme tactical nous to the captaincy either.

The bloke is now thankfully for AUS sake, showing the potential he has had since youth days, so he should just concentrate on being a player. Haddin or M Hussey should be captain of T20 set-up - Haddin preferably.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
White has captained to Victoria to something like 4 T20 finals. Definitely the most qualified T20 captain in Australia, I'd say.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Ponting's always disliked T20 (and I love him for that),

Go back to his pre-IPL comments - he was very cold on the format.
Think a lot of it was because he was mardy about going for less money than other players wio he saw as (not unreasonably) inferior. IIRC he went for $400k and others went for $1m+.

White has captained to Victoria to something like 4 T20 finals. Definitely the most qualified T20 captain in Australia, I'd say.
Yeah, it's a logic I've never quite understood. You chaps seem to fall into the same trap as us "He looks a future test captain; give him a go in the limited overs". Sometimes it works (Ponting, for instance) but it always looks more of a happy accident than design when it does.

White looks a shoo-in for T20Is so why not make your best captain the skipper in the format?

pup11

International Coach
Victoria coach backs White for Australia T20 captaincy

Greg Shipperd saying the same thing, and also in a way suggesting that Clarke too should follow Ponting' example and retire from the T20 format, agreed Clarke is not good to be in the T20 side atm, but its still too early in his career to be advising him to contemplate retiring from the format.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Victoria coach backs White for Australia T20 captaincy

Greg Shipperd saying the same thing, and also in a way suggesting that Clarke too should follow Ponting' example and retire from the T20 format, agreed Clarke is not good to be in the T20 side atm, but its still too early in his career to be advising him to contemplate retiring from the format.
That may have been the case if he didn't seem eager to pull out of every T20 tournament he can (IPL, Champions League, etc.). Honestly wouldn't bat an eyelid if he quit the format.

pup11

International Coach
That may have been the case if he didn't seem eager to pull out of every T20 tournament he can (IPL, Champions League, etc.). Honestly wouldn't bat an eyelid if he quit the format.
I don't think you are being fair to Clarke here, he has almost been on the road for the last 12 months non-stop, and frankly speaking I respect him for the fact that he is willing to ignore the IPL and CL money to ensure he is fit and available to play for his national side at all times, which AFAIC should the priority of every single international player.

The Champions league is cramped in between the Champions trophy and Australia' seven match ODI tour of India, so in between playing all that international cricket, if Clarke gets a 10 or 12 day period to rest and recuperate by skipping the CL, then I don't see anything wrong with it.

I agree that Clarke's T20 skills suck big time, and only way for him to improve is by playing as much T20 cricket as possible, but skipping CL at this point of time isn't a bad move on his part.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
How is White more qualified than Haddin to be captain though?. Haddin was NSW captain for longer than White was Victoria captain before he debuted for AUS last year. Its not as if White brings some supreme tactical nous to the captaincy either.
White has captained Victoria to 4 Big Bash finals, winning 3. Think it's safe to say that he should be one of, if not the premier candidates for the T20 captaincy.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't think you are being fair to Clarke here, he has almost been on the road for the last 12 months non-stop, and frankly speaking I respect him for the fact that he is willing to ignore the IPL and CL money to ensure he is fit and available to play for his national side at all times, which AFAIC should the priority of every single international player.

The Champions league is cramped in between the Champions trophy and Australia' seven match ODI tour of India, so in between playing all that international cricket, if Clarke gets a 10 or 12 day period to rest and recuperate by skipping the CL, then I don't see anything wrong with it.

I agree that Clarke's T20 skills suck big time, and only way for him to improve is by playing as much T20 cricket as possible, but skipping CL at this point of time isn't a bad move on his part.
Yes, surely people don't expect him to play the CL and miss Australia games instead.