• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ponting calls quits to Twenty20

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Would have liked him to play at least until the WC next year then retire. But ah well...

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Oh it saddens me so to see cricket enthusiasts label a ODI tournament as the 'real deal', along with Test cricket.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Oh it saddens me so to see cricket enthusiasts label a ODI tournament as the 'real deal', along with Test cricket.
The ODI World Cup has been the most important thing after tests. Winning the World Cup for India, Sri Lanka and Pakistan is a greater achievement than many of their test series wins. An ODI World Cup surely ranks high in the order of a cricketer's priorities.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
It was a big deal for Allan Border's Australia too to win the world cup in 1987. The ODI World Cup is a prestigious tournament and just because it's not tests, doesn't mean it has no value. We have had multiple ODI tournaments, champions trophies deplete the importance of winning the ODI world cup but it still holds a place. Many players quit the ODI game after the world cup and I am sure some one like Tendulkar too plans the same. I am glad that the tournament is of importance still despite the abundance of ODIs. It's not tragic. It is a good thing. Things of value are good for cricket. An Ashes series has a legacy, so does the ODI world cup in it's own way. We have the recent rivalry between India and Australia for the Border-Gavaskar trophy gain in importance as a series. If Tournaments and Series develop over the years to gain value, it is good for the game I feel as it gives a bigger platform to perform, adds worth to the performances.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Only downside I can see is the "split-captaincy" issue. Although Oz did it pretty successfully with Waugh & Ponting I suppose, so there is a happy precedent; it's just England who can't seem to get their heads round it.
Cameron White should be Australia's T20 captain.

James_W

U19 Vice-Captain
Nearly spat out my coco pops when I heard this 'news' this morning. Who gives a **** about T20? This sets a good example for cricketers who are getting on though, test cricket is always the most important thing. I'm looking at you Murali.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
It was a big deal for Allan Border's Australia too to win the world cup in 1987. The ODI World Cup is a prestigious tournament and just because it's not tests, doesn't mean it has no value.
Again, you are arguing against something I am not saying. I never said players don't value it, or other people don't value it. It just saddens me that they do!

pup11

International Coach
I think looking realistically at the situation there is nobody in the current Australian T20 side who can take the captaincy over from Ponting at this stage.

Clarke might do the most decent job as captain, but he really doesn't deserve to in the side in the first place, White too is still to establish himself in the side, so that pretty leaves Haddin as the only bloke with a cemented place in the side, who is good enough to lead the side.

pasag

RTDAS
Will be interesting to see how long he lasts at KKR, especially if they decide to do a bit of a cleanout after past results.

pup11

International Coach
In light of this, I'm ****ing raging about this news.
Not surpsiring at all tbh, and as I said in the other thread, would be very surprised if other cricketers who have been playing right through the year participate in this tournament.

Will be interesting to see how long he lasts at KKR, especially if they decide to do a bit of a cleanout after past results.
This would be his last season with KKR, and then his contract would expire, so he would a be free agent unless he doesn't renew his contract with KKR, though I'm pretty sure that Ponting has no intention of turning his back towards the IPL.

His retirement from T20 internationals is just a decision made to ease the pressure of his back and show the fans that he is serious about turning around Australia's form in both ODI's and tests.

Last edited:

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Not surpsiring at all tbh, and as I said in the other thread, would be very surprised if other cricketers who have been playing right through the year participate in this tournament.
What grinds my gears is that, even with the recent media attention about his terrible performances in T20 and ODIs recently, especially in terms of strike rate, you'd think he'd be aching to play as many T20 games as he could. Instead he sits out of a tournament full of them. It's obvious that he's going to be the T20 captain, at least in the short-term, so he should be doing all that he can to make sure that he stops being a liability.

howardj

International Coach
Ponting's always disliked T20 (and I love him for that),

Go back to his pre-IPL comments - he was very cold on the format.