• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

An Open Letter to New Zealand Cricket

Brett Dale

School Boy/Girl Captain
Hello, with only two tests against Australia this summer, this is surly one of the saddest days in New Zealand cricket History, and a disgraceful black eye for the NZC board.

So why is it, on the Official New Zealand cricket board are you promoting this as good news?

The PR Marketing firm that you hire is in overdrive. How you can possibly celebrate only two tests against Australia?

I see once again Napier and Hamilton are getting the bulk of the Australian, Bangladesh and Pakistan tour, I will be sitting in sunny Christchurch watching the covers come on and off on television.

I suggest you take a look at the various message sporting boards across New Zealand to see the absolute disgust the public has with the upcoming summer of cricket.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Some things about the summer of cricket are good.

We get three tests against pakistan - rather than just a two test series. Given the choice between three tests against aussie or three against pakistan - I would pick pakistan as it will be a closely fought affair. At least I hope it will be.

Also I feel like shaking Justin Vaughn's hand for negotiating a one test tour from Bangladesh. I was cringing when I saw them on the line up for the summer. But I can suffer through one test against them. Seems like we play them more than anyone else does.

With regards to Aussie when we can start performing more consistently against the top teams then we can make a better case for having longer test series against them. Sometimes I get worried that the oppossing countries like Aussie and SA might think that it is not one of the highlights of the year to play against us. So I think a two test series might be more appealing to them and subsequently better for both cricketing governing boards.
The counter argument to this is that the series is on our home soil. So maybe we will be more competitive here.

Bad news about Christchurch. I notice that Wellington is relatively spoiled with two tests.

Nishan

U19 Cricketer
there is gap in janauary for 20/20 domestic they could have fitted in 1 more test. Either way i am not happy i have to move around the country to watch decent games. a 20/20 and a one day game against Bangladesh in Christchurch where it hardly rains during summer!

Athlai

Not Terrible
Would rather two test against Bangers. The series in Bangladesh was very close and I feel with Shakib at the helm they'll put up a good showing. We should win but it will be a good contest, one that we won't lose! Probably

Craig

World Traveller
I though one-Test series were not allowed?

I mean a one Test series? What is the point? SS's reaction:

Brett Dale

School Boy/Girl Captain
We should give up two dayers and a a 20/20 against Australia for a test match.

Surly this is the death of Test cricket for New Zealand? Every good team now will only want to give us two tests, Im guessing this also could be the last series we have against Australia for a while.

S.P. Fleming

U19 Cricketer
I'm not too dissappointed as this is the first year ever that we are having a six-test summer. I also prefer three tests against Pakistan rather then Australia as it should be a tight contest.

Craig

World Traveller

Surly this is the death of Test cricket for New Zealand? Every good team now will only want to give us two tests, Im guessing this also could be the last series we have against Australia for a while.
TBF the BCCI wanted another Test added on when they toured New Zealand earlier this year. And considering we are not that important to them in $$$$$ terms, like Australia, England, South Africa, Pakistan are.

Flem274*

123/5

Nope.

That line gets thrown around so often. Test cricket here must be some sort of uber-ghost now.

Polo23

International Debutant
I'm looking forward to playing Australia with Bond back...for mine it evens out the contest a huge deal. Australia obviously still favourites, but if Taylor and Ryder can pull finger and the other can be not entirely useless then we might have a shot.

slugger

State Vice-Captain
TBH its up to the players.... gee if test cricket is important to them they need to show some fight.. not this bat out time mentality that nzc team proclaim is the way to go to win matches.. it rarely does and only shows a negative approach to a game esp. here in nz that needs some aggression and importance... if they can win a series against Pakistan and really push Australia even get a win out of it ... it'll help to secure test cricket here in nz .. the way I see it, it's the last roll of the dice...

DingDong

State Captain
you need to write to them about picking patel in the ODI and T20 teams consistently. young spinners need all the exposure they can get if they are going to improve.

trapol

U19 12th Man
The death of Test cricket?

It already is on its last legs. Case in point.....There is no third test so that the players can go off and play in half the IPL. Have a look, the season is finishing a good week or so earlier than it has for the last two years.

So there is your answer about priorities. Its all about the money baby and i for one dont blame them. Its reality

Craig

World Traveller
I'm looking forward to playing Australia with Bond back...for mine it evens out the contest a huge deal. Australia obviously still favourites, but if Taylor and Ryder can pull finger and the other can be not entirely useless then we might have a shot.
And the openers and Brendon McCullum.

S.P. Fleming

U19 Cricketer
yea AWTA, having Bond back really gives us that strike weapon that we needed so badly. I also maintain faith in our top 6 to come right as not many people deny the fact that there is plenty of potential around. Im not saying we will beat Australia but I believe we can be competitive and perhaps nab a win if things go according to plan. It is so crucial for cricket in New Zealand that we get up and win the test series against Pakistan which, at home, I fully expect us to.

Also, enough of this crap about test cricket dying. It is not, there is a place in the game for purists like us. Anyhow, I do believe that if New Zealand are going to keep getting 3 test series' against Aust, India, SA ect then we need to prove that we are a competitive cricket side - starting this summer.

Craig

World Traveller
you need to write to them about picking patel in the ODI and T20 teams consistently. young spinners need all the exposure they can get if they are going to improve.
He's 29.

I thought we played pretty well at times in Brisbane last year. Bowling was pretty good until the Australians were able to get away and get to 214 and the batting could of been a lot stronger. A lot of it was down to inexperience and not letting the opposition get away.

Adelaide was a shocker. Such a good start was thrown away (Redmond should of gone on to his century and the rest should of cashed in), and Brad Haddin getting some lucky calls along the way.

Flem274*

123/5
Somehow think Bond, Tuffey and maybe Butler might be visiting the test squad soon...

Of course, that will be a major jam and fight for spots. Martin will never be dropped, and Bond will stroll in. I can see O'Brien being the casualty. Of course if say Tuffey and Bond were to return, then Martin and Tuffey are against each other for the other new ball spot (until Bonds next injury :p). Martin is bloody reliable, but I can see him being a much better third seamer than Tuffey tbh, so I'd give it to Tuffey.

The likes of Southee, Franklin, Arnel and Mills are going to fall a long way down the pecking order shortly.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Somehow think Bond, Tuffey and maybe Butler might be visiting the test squad soon...

Of course, that will be a major jam and fight for spots. Martin will never be dropped, and Bond will stroll in. I can see O'Brien being the casualty. Of course if say Tuffey and Bond were to return, then Martin and Tuffey are against each other for the other new ball spot (until Bonds next injury :p). Martin is bloody reliable, but I can see him being a much better third seamer than Tuffey tbh, so I'd give it to Tuffey.

The likes of Southee, Franklin, Arnel and Mills are going to fall a long way down the pecking order shortly.
Yeah, it'll be interesting to see what happens for Pakistan and Australia. Southee, Franklin, Arnel and Mills may briefly fall down the pecking order like you say, but then my crystal ball is picking up a glut of retirements and/or injuries 6-18 months away from the 34+ crowd (Bond, Martin, O'Brien). Very soon after that those guys just mentioned, plus Tuffey, could BE our attack. That's a fairly frightening thought!